We Are Eating Less Meat ...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: We Are Eating Less Meat ...

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have porridge in the winter months. With maple/golden syrup and cream if available. Perhaps I am missing something.

I do eat oatcakes instead of bread quite often.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 9:38am As a child our meals always featured meat of some kind. Plain cooking, usually with potatoes and some other vegetables. Meat would be grilled and veg boiled. Fish on Friday.
Sunday was always roast dinner.
I still like the taste of meat but eat a very small amount, preferring the the flavour and texture of vegetables.
Looking back I know today I wouldn't enjoy what I ate as a boy. It's strange as I've always thought of mum as a good cook.
Being able to put meat on the table every day was a matter of pride. Any not only did it mean that the family might be out of poverty it also meant that they stood a chance of avoiding the epidemic malnutrition. As revealed whenever we called men up to fight and their health was assessed. And in the secular increase in height even in recent times.

Jonathan

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/mcs/m ... ts_464.gif
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Oldjohnw wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 5:00pm
Mick F wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 3:30pm Processed meat eh?
I am a healthy, active, strong, fit, outgoing, sociable, cyclist, non-overweight, never-smoking, rapidly approaching 70 year old chap.

I enjoy my food and my lifestyle. Full stop.
Bacon?
Who gives a damn? :D
I believed you have high cholesterol. A good reason to look at your diet.
My cholesterol's more strongly related to exercise than diet. Relative to 2011 levels, halving my exercise hours increased my cholesterol 16%, but a 10% increase in saturated fat only increased it 1.1%
Chol temp.png
(2011 refs: cholesterol 4.48, total fat 84.1g/day, saturated fat 19.3g/day, exercise hours 600 pa)
When I asked the NHS why they're fobbing me off with Atorvastatin rather than addressing the reasons I can't do the exercise any more, needless to say, they did nothing. NICE guidelines also say that patients on Diltiazem should take 10mg Atorvastatin and not the 20mg they're prescribing, because they interact, but they haven't done anything about that, either.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

People taking statins less likely to die from Covid:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... SApp_Other
John