We Are Eating Less Meat ...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: We Are Eating Less Meat ...

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 2:59pmAdd that to the 20oz, and it comes out as 800g per week = 40Kg per year.
More than I thought, but nowhere near the 50 to 100Kgs per year of the UK.
For a round number calculation from memory I'd consider 40 kg as being very close to 50 to 100 kg.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 2:59pmIs this 50 - 100Kg cooked weight or raw?
Dietary-data collection and processing
Dietary data were collected using consecutive, 4 day, estimated unweighed food diaries, with all days of the week equally represented. Meat consumption was based on disaggregated meat data that excluded all non-meat components of composite meat dishes and products.
Trained coders and editors entered food-intake information into a modified version of the Medical Research Council Elsie Widdowson Laboratory dietary-assessment tool. For composite meals (eg, ready meals or homemade dishes), all ingredients were entered individually and allocated to the same recipe food group. A weight-change factor for the whole dish (from a similar recipe in McCance and Widdowson's Composite of Foods series) was applied to the raw weights recorded by the participant, to establish the weight of each cooked ingredient and the weight of the portion consumed. Detailed diary methodology and processing is provided in NDNS appendices.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 2:59pm ...
Considering my bacon habit...
I understood that bacon (and other processed meats e.g. ham) are particularly bad, worse that just "red meat".

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 3:12pm
I understood that bacon (and other processed meats e.g. ham) are particularly bad, worse that just "red meat".

Ian
Though that could be due to an additive used, presumably, to preserve. I have heard it said that if you stick to unprocessed red meat and cut out the processed stuff (sausages / bacon etc) you cut out most of the health risks. The big one being bowel cancer.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 3:19pm
Psamathe wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 3:12pm

Ian
Though that could be due to an additive used, presumably, to preserve. I have heard it said that if you stick to unprocessed red meat and cut out the processed stuff (sausages / bacon etc) you cut out most of the health risks. The big one being bowel cancer.
I mentioned it [bacon risks] replying to Mick F's "Considering my bacon habit".
Further info
https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/can-bacon-be-part-of-a-healthy-diet wrote:...
But here's the bad news: When it comes to increasing the risk for certain cancers, things get downright scary for bacon lovers. Not only is bacon considered a red meat, it’s also a member of the dreaded "processed meat" group (even turkey bacon falls into this category. And NO amount of processed meat is considered safe to eat, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research....
Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Processed meat eh?
I am a healthy, active, strong, fit, outgoing, sociable, cyclist, non-overweight, never-smoking, rapidly approaching 70 year old chap.

I enjoy my food and my lifestyle. Full stop.
Bacon?
Who gives a damn? :D
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 3:30pm Processed meat eh?
I am a healthy, active, strong, fit, outgoing, sociable, cyclist, non-overweight, never-smoking, rapidly approaching 70 year old chap.

Bacon?
Maybe consider getting a bowel cancer screening though, if you've not had one recently. It only involves providing a stool sample. People live happily with bowel cancer for some time before symptoms manifest themselves.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 3:36pm

Bacon?
Who gives a damn?
Maybe consider getting a bowel cancer screening though, if you've not had one recently. It only involves providing a stool sample. People live happily with bowel cancer for some time before symptoms manifest themselves.
Excellent advice. And the national screening programme was going reasonably well before the outbreak.

https://view-health-screening-recommend ... el-cancer/

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Current NHS advice on eating meat, and specifically on processed meat:
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/meat-nutrition/

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bacon?
You should get a kit sent automatically every 2 years after the age 60 (reducing to 56?). Kit arrives in post and you send it back with your sample and get the results a few days/weeks later.

I did one age 60 that; then a more complex kit needed 5? samples on different days. Missed next as I was travelling and did one Aug just passed (simpler kit requiring a single sample). In my area the screening is a bit behind schedule due to Covid (I should have got a kit a year ago - but it was all clear (I don't eat bacon).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 3:43pm

Bacon?
Who gives a damn?
You should get a kit sent automatically every 2 years after the age 60 (reducing to 56?).
Age 50 to 74y, as in the linked article.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 3:45pm
Psamathe wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 3:43pm
You should get a kit sent automatically every 2 years after the age 60 (reducing to 56?).
Age 50 to 74y, as in the linked article.

Jonathan
I guess NHS is not up with Gov. yet
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bowel-cancer-screening/ wrote:NHS bowel cancer screening checks if you could have bowel cancer. It's available to everyone aged 60 or over. The programme is expanding to include 56 year olds in 2021.
They can be a bit fussy when asking outside the schedule as, when I returned from travelling having missed a test I called and asked for one and was told to wait for my next routine 2 year test.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 3:49pm I guess NHS is not up with Gov. yet
Thanks.

I'll let them know, and I suspect that the discrepancy was caused by the disruption from the outbreak.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yeah, done loads of poo samples over the years.
All negative.

Done one only this spring.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Only a stool sample - bah humbug, you want a proper full depth colonoscopy for real screening.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.