Interesting look at spatial awareness amongst some drivers

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
n0ct0

Interesting look at spatial awareness amongst some drivers

Post by n0ct0 »

https://m.facebook.com/groups/268243178 ... rer=search

Hope the link above works. I’m stunned by the lack of spatial awareness.

And it’s a good laugh. (For those watching).

Seriously though, I do worry having to share the road with some of these clods.
Psamathe

Re: Interesting look at spatial awareness amongst some drivers

Post by Psamathe »

Highlights one of the issues/limitations for people posting their content to Facebook
Screenshot 2021-10-13 at 11.30.58.png
Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe,I managed get to the intended page and I dont have a FB account

I can't believe or should that be,I'm not surpised these things happen by what I see drivers do daily on the roads of the UK,as I'm not surprised or should that be amazed,that some posts sympathise with the poor driving

OTOH I'm puzzled as to what is hoped to be acheived by restricting the width on the road and I'm well aware that cars and light commercials can pass with care.
The question is what is hoped to be acheived by the restriction? If it's slowing down errant drivers,humps would be more effective.If it's to stop HGV rat running etc,a mobile camera unit at random times would get the road a reputation among HGV drivers.
One thing's for sure though,there's some idiots behind the wheel of dangerous machinery! :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

For those who can't access the page, it's a lot of videos of motorists coming to grief between these bollards in Watford. I have to agree, they do look rather treacherous! I haven't come across a pinch-point like that for many years - I don't think they're deployed in our neck of the woods...

Not at first glance a problem for cyclists - but there is the hazard of damaged road surface, broken glass and other debris, apparently.

Re spatial awareness - I do recall my first time driving a LHD car, in Sweden. I was scared stiff when trying to overtake cyclists: did I leave enough room? But no mishaps...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks for the link 661-Pete it's now a little clearer to me what the intention of the bollards is,which to my mind is still needless.
Though that doesn't excuse to poor driving,the width restriction is >7' 0"< or >2.13m< wide enough for any car even a large SUV.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

The Police van made me LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
peetee

Post by peetee »

I find it quite shocking just how many vehicles are prone to turning over when hitting these obstructions. It used to be that the affected wheel would compress into the wheel arch and damage the strut top. No better for the car but a lot less scary for the occupants. The suspension systems of cars are far firmer than they used to be. I guess they have to be to deal with the torque that modern engines produce and the dynamics of ABS and stability and traction control systems.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The reason that they are turning over, and perhaps some of the reason for the problems this is causing is that there's a dropped kerb immediately before the bollard, so not only does the driver lose an important reference point in their eyeline, but it actively launches them upwards to ride up the LHS bollard.