Pointless!!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Syd

Re: Pointless!!

Post by Syd »

Hellhound wrote:
Mick F wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 6:57pm Still never heard of him.
I find it difficult to believe that a chap of your years who's travelled the world has not heard of Ry Cooder :roll:
I wonder who else you've never heard of :lol: :lol:
Willy Nelson?
Hank Williams?
Dean Martin?
Frank Sinatra?
Bob Dylan?
Elvis Presley?
Ella Fitzgerald?
Louis Armstrong?
Ed Sheeran?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I’ve heard of every single one of them except for Ry Cooder.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Syd wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 7:16pm
Hellhound wrote:
I find it difficult to believe that a chap of your years who's travelled the world has not heard of Ry Cooder :roll:
I wonder who else you've never heard of :lol: :lol:
Willy Nelson?
Hank Williams?
Dean Martin?
Frank Sinatra?
Bob Dylan?
Elvis Presley?
Ella Fitzgerald?
Louis Armstrong?
Ed Sheeran?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I’ve heard of every single one of them except for Ry Cooder.
I am actually shocked!
Genuinely :shock:
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 7:06pm I doubt it somehow.

I tend not to like "modern" music these days.
Nice bit of classic stuff is more up my street.

Fave at the moment is Shostakovich Waltz No 2.
While it's not classical it's hardly modern.
Not really in any class.
Exxept perhaps of its own!

If you don't try you never know!
RickH

Post by RickH »

Hellhound wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 7:21pm
Syd wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 7:16pmI’ve heard of every single one of them except for Ry Cooder.
I am actually shocked!
Genuinely :shock:
The same as MickF - I'd heard of all that list, even familiar with at least a bit of most of their music but I'd never heard of Ry Cooder either (even had to go back & copy his name to, hopefully, get it right). I'm probably too young, not 63 til Christmas! :wink:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Oh dear, we're onto the great classical v. pop debate again! I can declare myself firmly on the classical side of the argument. I won't try to list all the popular genres - I couldn't - but most of them I detest. Sorry, but that's me: no-one can dictate what I should like and what I shouldn't like.

Looking at that list of entertainers: yes I had heard of most of them. Here goes:
Willy Nelson? No
Hank Williams? Heard the name - but no, not really.
Dean Martin? Yes: just as a name.
Frank Sinatra? Yes. In the mob?
Bob Dylan? Yes. Real name Zimmerman?
Elvis Presley? Yes. Two facts: snuffing it whilst taking a s***, and 'Elvis is alive' tropes...
Ella Fitzgerald? Yes. Penetrating voice?
Louis Armstrong? Yes. Another fine resonant voice - and that trumpet.
Ed Sheeran? Heard the name - but no, not really.

But none of this makes me a lover of popular culture.

As to the subject of this thread - no, never heard of him. Why should Mick F be singled out for mockery? If so, mock me too!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

A good friend is a Harry Partch enthusiast.
Have you heard of him?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I'm always glad when on-line bios say is rather than was. Well, usually: I haven't googled Boris or Trump recently.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm of that generation when we had the begininings of wide choice with respect to the popular music I could find out about. I had a permanent power-struggle going on with my parents and their friends. Their view - that pop music was ephemoral and not to be taken seriously - was not my view! Looking back, I can see that squabbling was unnecessary, that in fact there's only two sorts of music: music you like and music you don't like.
As teenagers, my friends & I started to hear pop music on the radio (R1 came on air in '67) and increasingly on telly (OGWT launched in '71), but mainly learnt of acts through friends, so finding out about the more unusual artists was largely hit or miss. These days, with online resources of incredible power, we Baby Boomers are living in pop-music clover. Wikipedia lists musicians in incredible detail (even my old friend Crash Crallan, may he rest in peace, who by his own admission, never actually "made it"), Discogs lists recorded music in similar detail (see Graeme's album output here) and YouTube can dig up albums by artists of incredible obscurity at a single click - here's Crash Crallan, playing with White Spirit... track 1 - Midnight Chaser - a good example of the origin of his nik-name. Ah, Happy Days.
Siri perfectly happy to identify Crash Crallan.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

When I first read this I thought it said "Ray Cooper" the visually entertaining percussionist that you see in live performances. He's the one at the back wearing glasses and waving his arms about. He was on Elton John's 'Captain Fantastic..." album.
Ry Cooder? Never heard of him!

I'm more a fan of the works of Messers Conway, Pegg, Nicol, Leslie, Sanders, Allcock, Denny, Hutchins, Thompson, Swarbrick, Mattock and so many others.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

IMHO this is some of his finest work:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5nixmp
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have heard of Ry Cooder, but I suspect he would have slipped under my radar if I had not seen the film Paris Texas when that came out. The slide guitar music for that is in my head, but I don't know of anything else he has done. He is niche, not mass market pop, so if he floats your boat you will enthuse, and if he doesn't you will forget him as soon as the piece ends. I know Ed Sheerans stuff better, not because I like it (I don't) but because it is played at me wherever I go. Niche music like Cooder's doesn't get the same exposure so you can easily miss it if you don't go looking for it.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

661-Pete wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 9:17am Oh dear, we're onto the great classical v. pop debate again! I can declare myself firmly on the classical side of the argument. I won't try to list all the popular genres - I couldn't - but most of them I detest. Sorry, but that's me: no-one can dictate what I should like and what I shouldn't like.

Looking at that list of entertainers: yes I had heard of most of them. Here goes:
Willy Nelson? No
Hank Williams? Heard the name - but no, not really.
Dean Martin? Yes: just as a name.
Frank Sinatra? Yes. In the mob?
Bob Dylan? Yes. Real name Zimmerman?
Elvis Presley? Yes. Two facts: snuffing it whilst taking a s***, and 'Elvis is alive' tropes...
Ella Fitzgerald? Yes. Penetrating voice?
Louis Armstrong? Yes. Another fine resonant voice - and that trumpet.
Ed Sheeran? Heard the name - but no, not really.

But none of this makes me a lover of popular culture.

As to the subject of this thread - no, never heard of him. Why should Mick F be singled out for mockery? If so, mock me too!
I wasn't singling MickF out for mockery I was genuinely shocked!
I've heard and can name umpteen songs by all of them despite only being 54!
I just don't understand how anyone older than me could not name songs/music by anyone but Ed Sheeran on that list?
I find the concept of only listening to one particular genre of music a bit bizarre.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It is said that one Richards, Keith learnt all he know from Cooder, when the latter was playing sessions on the Stones early albums, eg the famous Delia-Smith-caked Let It Bleed. A virtual library of Stones hits, dating from after Richards' collaborating with Cooder, are in open G - Honky-Tonk Women, Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Start Me Up.
Cooder, Ry too dignified to complain... !!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 4:43pm I liked "Meeting by the River".
Thought it special.
Very!
A masterpiece!
And a pile of his other stuff too :)

PS sorry only just saw this thread.

PPS,more to the point who or what is Siri?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

reohn2 wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 10:45pmPPS,more to the point who or what is Siri?
It's a bit like Google - it enables you to look up the meaning of stuff you don't understand.