Sir David Amess MP. RIP

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Sir David Amess MP. RIP

Post by Oldjohnw »

I know very little of the late Sir David, tragically slaughtered whilst quietly doing his work of representing his constituents. I had heard of him but I guess the fact I knew so little of him tells its own story: he just got on with the job.

In 38 years he had never sought high office and saw his role as representing his entire constituency. He was a devout Roman Catholic but the entire community, Christian of every shade, and Muslim, are broken hearted at his demise.

He also demonstrates some important concepts:

1. You can be on the right of the party but not have dictator tendencies;
2. You can reach across the political divide in friendship and goodwill;
3. Not all MPs are on the take, as some suggest. They are not all “at it”.

Requiescat in Pace.
John
francovendee

Re: Sir David Amess MP. RIP

Post by francovendee »

I didn't share some of his views but that aside he sounds like the sort of MP we'd all like to represent us.
The killing of Jo Cox and now David Ames are awful events and hope I this will be the last.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 7:14am I know very little of the late Sir David, tragically slaughtered whilst quietly doing his work of representing his constituents. I had heard of him but I guess the fact I knew so little of him tells its own story: he just got on with the job.

In 38 years he had never sought high office and saw his role as representing his entire constituency. He was a devout Roman Catholic but the entire community, Christian of every shade, and Muslim, are broken hearted at his demise.

He also demonstrates some important concepts:

1. You can be on the right of the party but not have dictator tendencies;
2. You can reach across the political divide in friendship and goodwill;
3. Not all MPs are on the take, as some suggest. They are not all “at it”.

Requiescat in Pace.
I would suggest the vast majority of MPs are not 'at it'. The parliamentary response to his death has maybe opened some people's eyes to the way that parliamentarians of different parties work together and that, in particular, the House of Commons is not just Prime Minister's Questions. It would be great if people recognised that.

And yes, a great loss. My sympathies to his family.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

RIP.
Both extremely sad and very worrying.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

No one deserves to die like that,his murder is a disgusting obscenity of an elected representative of government.
One can only imagine what his poor family are now going through.

Sir David Amess' murder and that of Jo Cox go to show what mad and twisted people are prepared to do in the name of whatever their cause may be.

Let us also not forget what other obscenities religious madmen have carried out in recent years.
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Oct 2021, 6:17pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Just worth noting: Jo Cox’s murder was a political not religious madman.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Party politics and political differences must be set aside at a time like this. Some folk (not on this forum thankfully) may have wished to score points even at this sad time. Not I.

Sir David's opinions, and mine, differed in just about every respect - except for his opposition to foxhunting. Nevertheless, I recognise the superlative value of his contribution to the nation, and the loss we have all sustained. R.I.P.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 11:11am Just worth noting: Jo Cox’s murder was a political not religious madman.
I've read my post again and it doesn't infer Jo Cox was murdered by a religious madman.
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

reohn2 wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 11:17am
Oldjohnw wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 11:11am Just worth noting: Jo Cox’s murder was a political not religious madman.
I've read my post again and it doesn't infer Jo Cox was murdered by a religious madman.
Sorry, my reading (use of ‘other’’ but clearly I was mistaken.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Amess was a decent bloke who took his responsibilities as an MP seriously, and we need more like him. I shared some of his views, but not all of them. Much the same as with Jo Cox really. Both were trying to represent their constituents and both were trying to make their country a better place. These murders are an attack on civilised life, on the ability of decent folk to discuss matters without attacking each other. I suspect that if Jo Cox and David Amess had ever sat down in the same room to discuss a point on which they disagreed they would have done so with mutual respect and a measure of goodwill. That is how it should be. That is what we have to stand up for and defend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58951337
Debs

Post by Debs »

In a democratic society it's paramount to vote right wing politicians out of office. Murdering them is totally abhorrent.
It will be interesting to learn who exactly this murderer is and his warped reasoning...

However we now have a situation which involves the outpouring of sympathy over the criminal death of a very rightwing Brexit-Tory politician who apart from the only one good bone in his body on animal rights, stood for ERG Brexit extremes, supported the return of the death penalty, was a staunch homophobe with his past HoC voting record always voting against GBLT rights, also voted to enshrine sexist Roman Catholic medieval dogma into UK law with banning of abortion rights.

It is very tragic that he was killed while carrying out his democratic duties, and i really do have sympathetic to his family and friends, but i wish the media would stop the puke-bucket non-stop sending him up as Saint David the perfect on the big white horse.

Mr Nice-Guy he was not.
fullfathom5

Post by fullfathom5 »

Debs wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 2:58pm In a democratic society it's paramount to vote right wing politicians out of office. Murdering them is totally abhorrent.
It will be interesting to learn who exactly this murderer is and his warped reasoning...

However we now have a situation which involves the outpouring of sympathy over the criminal death of a very rightwing Brexit-Tory politician who apart from the only one good bone in his body on animal rights, stood for ERG Brexit extremes, supported the return of the death penalty, was a staunch homophobe with his past HoC voting record always voting against GBLT rights, also voted to enshrine sexist Roman Catholic medieval dogma into UK law with banning of abortion rights.

It is very tragic that he was killed while carrying out his democratic duties, and i really do have sympathetic to his family and friends, but i wish the media would stop the puke-bucket non-stop sending him up as Saint David the perfect on the big white horse.

Mr Nice-Guy he was not.
Have you ever considered that somebody can have different views to your own without being 'bad'?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I wonder who thinks Amess was saintly or perfect?

He was a man who appeared to do his best for his constituents regardless of whether or not they voted for him. I’m not sure what more you could hope for.
John
fullfathom5

Post by fullfathom5 »

Debs wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 5:14pm removed by moderator
Please point out to me where I have said that David Amess was a 'perfect saintly Mr nice guy'?

Personally, I'm a remain voting atheist who is pro-abortion and disagreed with a lot of views. The only point I'm making is that people can have opinions that differ from your own without being 'bad' (and it was you who said David Amess only had 'one good bone in his body').

Finally, do you think that perhaps posting on a forum thread entitled 'Sir David Amess MP. RIP' and then stating he only 'one good bone in his body' and comparing his views to a medieval witch finder could perhaps be viewed as being rather offensive?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Fulfathom5
Well said sir!
W H Auden