Cycling Proficiency Test

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Wilhelmus

Cycling Proficiency Test

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cycling Proficiency Test

Post by Mick F »

Mine.
Cycling Proficiency Certificate.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

I almost failed mine.

The weekend before someone broke into the garage and stole my bike - left my dad's much swankier machine alone, so was obviously after a kids' bike for someone else who had their test coming up.

Cue a trip to Halfords (this was in the early 90s, so things weren't that great) and a standard "you'll grow into it" tack. I ended up with a bike that was huuuuge for me.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Would it be good to make this mandatory for new riders?
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mumbojumbo wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 6:13pm Would it be good to make this mandatory for new riders?
What sort of detection, enforcement and actions would you suggest for breaches?

Thanks

Jonathan
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Tagging riders and bikes,m'lud
drossall

Post by drossall »

mumbojumbo wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 6:13pm Would it be good to make this mandatory for new riders?
Not the CP, no. Whilst it had many merits, it taught an overly defensive style of riding, asking the cyclist to keep out of the way of cars. Understandable given the target age group. But forgot that young cyclists grow up into adult motorists, who then expect cyclists to keep out of the way, whatever the Highway Code may say.

That's one reason why it was replaced by Bikeability.
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

drossall wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 7:23pm Whilst it had many merits, it taught an overly defensive style of riding, asking the cyclist to keep out of the way of cars.
I am not arguing with what's in the instructions, but the policeman who taught us spent about half a day going through "how to take the lane on the roundabout" and was very keen on on-road riding.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Quite variable perhaps. I've taken young people cycling and had a bizarre experience, with those who'd just passed CP. They'd look carefully at junctions and then proceed regardless - presumably because there was never a lorry coming in the playground, so it wasn't possible to practice the bit where you react to what you see. :shock:
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

CP training is good, but it and many other things need to be built on a basic ability to assess risk, which our recent risk intolerant culture suppresses.

To put it in simple and more general terms, don't ask your child to hold your hand before crossing the road. Ask your child to tell you when they think it is safe to cross the road, and be ready to help them learn.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 7:09pm Mine.
Cycling Proficiency Certificate.jpg
Like it Michael F :lol:
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 6:34pm
What sort of detection, enforcement and actions would you suggest for breaches?

Thanks

Jonathan
Impound the bicycles until the little scalliwags arrive back at the police station with a valid certificate.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I done my cp at primary school at around 7 or 8 years of age -- passed the practical and theory test no bother.

Only thing I can remember about it was the row of little cones you had to slalom your front wheel around to get each cone passing between the front and rear wheels. Think it was to test your level of control. I can still do it 50 years on.

The guy teaching us the theory stuff was drafted in from the private toff school at the other side of town -- far too fat to be able to even sit on a bicycle let alone ride it -- found out many years later he was a self confessed screamin pedo.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

drossall wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 7:23pm
Not the CP, no. Whilst it had many merits, it taught an overly defensive style of riding, asking the cyclist to keep out of the way of cars. Understandable given the target age group. But forgot that young cyclists grow up into adult motorists, who then expect cyclists to keep out of the way, whatever the Highway Code may say.

That's one reason why it was replaced by Bikeability.
I don't think it has been replaced here -- my youngest did it about 5 years ago.