Dune (film) 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jules59

Re: Dune (film) 2021

Post by Jules59 »

mattheus wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:43pm Can I just say that Tom Cruise mainly makes very good SF movies?

That's all, thanks for listening :)
I liked Oblivion
fullfathom5

Post by fullfathom5 »

Jules59 wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 5:33pm
mattheus wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:43pm Can I just say that Tom Cruise mainly makes very good SF movies?

I liked Oblivion
Edge of Tomorrow is good as well (IMHO).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

fullfathom5 wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 12:44pm

I liked Oblivion
Edge of Tomorrow is good as well (IMHO).
I found Edge of tomorrow a bit "obvious" a few not very original ideas mixed to an adventure film. Not a disaster in that at the end I didn't feel I'd wasted my time (which I do with some film - couple of hours "I'll never get back"); I felt more an adventure film showcasing Cruise.

Of Tom Cruise's films the best I remember Minority Report.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Does it get better? Downloaded it the other day, watched the first 20 minutes and lost interest.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 1:08pm Does it get better? Downloaded it the other day, watched the first 20 minutes and lost interest.
I suspect no films universally appeal to everybody. We have different taste and enjoy different things. Nothing wrong with starting to watch a film and stopping when you decide it's not for you (I've sat through far too many films and then wished I've given up 5 mins into the film).

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Film adaptation of books are often one of two types - director takes the nugget inside a novella and makes his/her own story (see Bladerunner, Apocalypse Now), or takes well-known tomes, chock full of detail and recreates them to the dot, by massive injection of colossal quantities of cash and/or cgi - see Harry Potter / Tolkein / Hunger Games.
The former seem to work better from an artistic pov, the latter are fan pleasers, intended to do enormously well at the box office, usually as a series - occasionally this ploy appears to misfire, leaving fans upset and disappointed - His Dark Materials grinding to halt after round 1 on the silver screen, although the BBC's interpretation looks set to cover all three books.
Which camp does the latest Dune jobbie fall in to?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 10:16am Film adaptation of books are often one of two types - director takes the nugget inside a novella and makes his/her own story (see Bladerunner, Apocalypse Now), or takes well-known tomes, chock full of detail and recreates them to the dot, by massive injection of colossal quantities of cash and/or cgi - see Harry Potter / Tolkein / Hunger Games.
You can of course get both. The Day of the Jackal, a 1971 book was fairly faithfully and stylishly recreated in a 1973 film (Edward Fox) and then was re-done in a 1995 film called 'The Jackal' (Bruce Willis) which bore very little resemblance to the novel (and was frankly crass and ridiculous) - but as someone said earlier, it's a very personal choice.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Ben@Forest wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 1:32pm
simonineaston wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 10:16am Film adaptation of books are often one of two types - director takes the nugget inside a novella and makes his/her own story (see Bladerunner, Apocalypse Now), or takes well-known tomes, chock full of detail and recreates them to the dot, by massive injection of colossal quantities of cash and/or cgi - see Harry Potter / Tolkein / Hunger Games.
You can of course get both. The Day of the Jackal, a 1971 book was fairly faithfully and stylishly recreated in a 1973 film (Edward Fox) and then was re-done in a 1995 film called 'The Jackal' (Bruce Willis) which bore very little resemblance to the novel (and was frankly crass and ridiculous) - but as someone said earlier, it's a very personal choice.
Now then.
I have seen both and like both but prefer the 1995 version!
I haven't read the book,and as I've stated in other posts haven't read any books since leaving school,so watch films with no preconceptions of what they 'should' be 8)
I've watched many a film though and thought to myself "thank god I didn't waste my time reading the book" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The former seem to work better from an artistic pov, the latter are fan pleasers, intended to do enormously well at the box office, usually as a series - occasionally this ploy appears to misfire, leaving fans upset and disappointed - His Dark Materials grinding to halt after round 1 on the silver screen, although the BBC's interpretation looks set to cover all three books.
Which camp does the latest Dune jobbie fall in to?
(Noting that I thought the film excellent, thought the books excellent and am thus somewhat biased)
I think it actually is both. It only attempts the 1st half of the 1st book (which means there is a lot to fit into the 2nd film). I have not re-read the book for >10 years but from memory I felt it a fairly accurate representation of the book (or at least the part covered). So definitely the Frank Herbert story pretty accurately rather than some scriptwriter starting from a nugget.

Whilst the budgets are published I have no idea if it was high or low in today's terms. It obviously does have special effects but I didn't notice them as "special effects". Some films can be a bit like watching a computer video game at times, but I never registered "special effect", all just part of the story. One thing I found was that as I was watching after a bit I thought "I hope they don't try showing the sandworms" - in previous films I found the sandworm efforts comical (at best). And in this Dune they did mostly avoid showing sandworms; there was one appearance and I thought it well done.

Quite a lot of well known names acting but the prominence of roles reflects the story not how well known the actor is i.e. roles follow the book story rather than the actors' egos.

I thought is quite a low key film, action sequences were not needlessly long.

But, I loved the books and this film so I am somewhat biased.

Ian
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

I liked Oblivion
Also looking forward to the Top Gun sequel