Dune (film) 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Dune (film) 2021

Post by Psamathe »

Saw it last night and thought it brilliant. Only half the 1st book.

I did enjoy the previous 2 Dune films (David Lynch and Si-Fy Channel) but this one is the best so far. I'm not 100% convinced about one or two of the cast - they are certainly excellent actors but maybe not quite perfect for their roles, but they are still good and does not badly detract from the film.

Maybe because it's 2½ hrs and only half the 1st book, it does include more detail from the book than other films do which probably helps it make more sense - but if you know the story then you understand it anyway. I suspect that if I hadn't read the book and seen the other films (several times) then there would have been quite a lot I'd have missed or might have needed several viewings to appreciate the intricacies; but that's probably more the nature of the book than anything to do with the film.

There are several increasingly common "nasties" with modern science fiction films, top of my dislikes are turning a good story into an ego trip for Tom Cruise (or other big star) and special effects that look like you are watching a Nintendo video game. Dune suffers neither which was a relief. I felt it's a fairly low key film, avoids needless over dramatics. Designs for the technology are good as well.

I felt an excellent film very worthwhile watching so hopefully it will be successful enough for the planned part 2 (rest of 1st book) to be made and even go on to fils some of the later books.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Re: Dune (film) 2021

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I need to download the books before I watch it…

Thanks for the teminder
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:57pm I need to download the books before I watch it…

Thanks for the teminder
The book sequence is interesting (and significant/extensive). The Frank Herbert ones are excellent (except one I didn't get on with as well). The Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson ones are very light "read in an evening, no thought involved" (trashy, fun easy, thin pass a few hours) - ok for what they are provided you don't compare them to Frank Herbert's books. I find Frank Herbert's can be re-read and are great whereas the Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson ones I can't re-read (there is nothing to them, bit like a comic).

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Was only looking the Frank Herbert ones... I'd forgotten the others existed :oops:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:07pm Was only looking the Frank Herbert ones... I'd forgotten the others existed :oops:
Probably the best thing to do! (they are not bad, just fun trashy novels that are fine for a mindless few hours but should really not be associated with "Dune").

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:31pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:07pm Was only looking the Frank Herbert ones... I'd forgotten the others existed
Probably the best thing to do! (they are not bad, just fun trashy novels that are fine for a mindless few hours but should really not be associated with "Dune").
Could they be used a a test to distinguish humans from animals?

; - )

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Can I just say that Tom Cruise mainly makes very good SF movies?

That's all, thanks for listening :)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Will get around to seeing it on terrestrial tv eventually, have seen the original version, but not read the book.. Did Tom Cruise spice it up a bit. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mattheus wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:43pm Can I just say that Tom Cruise mainly makes very good SF movies?

Well he's a Scientologist.............................amongst other things................

Exactly how many Dune films are there to date?
Seen the first.84
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 5:08pm Hi,
mattheus wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:43pm Can I just say that Tom Cruise mainly makes very good SF movies?

Well he's a Scientologist.............................amongst other things................

Exactly how many Dune films are there to date?
Seen the first.84
As far as I'm aware there is the David Lynch one (the 1984 one) and a SyFy channel one which was more of a mini-series covering Dune and Children of Dune (each a couple of long programs, also released on DVD).

SyFy version was an excellent effort on a limited budget and included a lot of very well known actors (mainly filmed on an Eastern European sound stage. It have a few really cringe-worthy moments but given limited budget was good.

There have been other attempts though none that I know of that came to anything. I have no idea how standard it is in the film industry but when Frank Herbert's estate grant a license to make a film it has been time limited (i.e. some identifiable stages must have occurred by set dates).

Ridley Scott was going to make a version at one point (which was the reason he initially refused to do Blade Runner though timescales extending on Dune allowed him to go back to Blade Runner) with Dino De Laurentiis. Another attempt was later made by Peter Berg - which came to nothing. Paramount (who had fast running out rights to make the film) tried to get Pierre Morel but he then dropped out and rights expired other directors were chosen but it came to nothing.

There was another attempt but can't remember the person's name but he had a fair cast organised with his son playing Paul!

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 5:41pmThere was another attempt but can't remember the person's name but he had a fair cast organised with his son playing Paul!
Alejandro and Brontis Jodorowsky.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 5:44pm
Psamathe wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 5:41pmThere was another attempt but can't remember the person's name but he had a fair cast organised with his son playing Paul!
Alejandro and Brontis Jodorowsky.

Jonathan
I may easily have missed others (forgotten or not aware).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

But no-one got the Gom Jabbar reference...

: - (

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Is it as bad as the one with Sting in it?
If so I'll avoid it!
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Nice story about one of the sound effects in the new 'Dune' film