TV Advertisements in Britain

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Wilhelmus

TV Advertisements in Britain

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boring_Username

Re: TV Advertisements in Britain

Post by Boring_Username »

Wilhelmus wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 4:59pm Is it too much to ask, then, that they reflect actual reality?
Yes. Because the point of advertising is to convince you that if you buy this product, your life will be better. And it won't be.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

If TV advertising is at a low ebb (I have no idea, not disputing the assertion), maybe part of the cause is PVRs. I rarely watch live TV but virtually always record and playback and fast forward through ads. If I want to watch a program that is starting now, I'll often record and start to watch 15 mins later so fast forwarding through ads I'll get to the end close to when the live broadcast ends.

I suspect quite a few do this and that advertisers will be aware of that and will appreciate they have a lower audience that program viewing data.

But also in my case some ads annoy me to the point where I make a mental note not to buy the product or deal with company (at the end of the day customers are paying for the ads). But that also applies to online ads (though don't get many of those, a couple of months ago youtube became a nuisance but their ads are blocked again now.

Ian
rjb

Post by rjb »

How did you block the ads on utube please. i get annoyed by them too.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Beware! 'Blipverts' are coming next, make sure you're not overweight :lol:
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Wilhelmus wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 4:59pmthese people are advertising real goods and services, and expect me to part with real money in exchange for them. Is it too much to ask, then, that they reflect actual reality?
You could try complaining to the ASA on these grounds:
https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law

(I've just tried myself, but was quickly thwarted by a rigid form that requires specific times and dates rather than allowing a more general complaint.)
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

90% of the time the adverts are the only thing worth watching :lol: :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

rjb wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 5:19pm How did you block the ads on utube please. i get annoyed by them too.
search for pihole
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

rjb wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 5:19pm How did you block the ads on utube please. i get annoyed by them too.
It's a fiddle and an ongoing war between those who block and Google. Used to be you can adjust the URL adding an additional dot after the youtube.com e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI becomes https://www.youtube.com./watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

Google then got wise to that and stopped it working. I now use scripts in Safari (Mac) which wont help you. As it's an ever changing situation be careful spending money on software claiming to block and make sure it still does block rather than used to block (and expect that solution to not work long term).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was watching a few things on YouTube yesterday evening, and the option is there to skip the adds.
Only a click, and they are gone. End of.

Chatting (heatedly!!!!!!) with Mrs Mick F earlier today about if we were going to watch anything on the screen this evening.
We have a telly licence now, and I made the point that I WOULD NOT watch anything on BBC or any live telly, and that the TVL is for her, not for me.

We pay for Netflix and we pay for a broadband provider, and I would, maybe, sort of happy to pay for Amazon Prime perhaps as you get added benefits .......... but BBC telly?
Not on your nellie.

Adverts?
They can get stuffed as well.
YouTube adverts get short-shrift and are ignored and clicked off.

It's bad enough listening to R4 in the morning and hearing the BBC advertising. Some of that, I turn the volume down.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 9:28pm I was watching a few things on YouTube yesterday evening, and the option is there to skip the adds.
Only a click, and they are gone. End of.
Often you have to watch 5 secs before the Skip option is enabled. Sometimes you have to watch the entire ad. Sometimes ads will start part way through a video (either entire ad of delay before skip, sometimes multiple ads at multiple points through the video.

Depends on a number of factors (I don't know as I don't publish on youtube but I have wondered if some users (publishers/channels) make small amounts of money from ads and if it is something a user/publisher enables as some videos don't have any, some at start and some at start and through and the pattern seems linked to the channel.

Ian
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, adverts can be a few seconds with YouTube, but that's all it is before you can skip.
What it isn't, is a few minutes.

BBC radio advertises BBC telly progs as well as BBC radio progs.
They never used to, but they're there almost every hour nowadays.

Live BBC radio is full of BBC advertising themselves, and you can't skip them.
It's been many years since I watched live telly, but no doubt BBC telly is full of BBC adverts too.

They can sod off.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 9:51pm They don't make 'em like they
used to.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiHR11QqIoI

Or
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xbdxm8Ia0Wc
I remember this one from many years ago

Ian