TV Advertisements in Britain

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: TV Advertisements in Britain

Post by Tangled Metal »

Don't watch car adverts because we have no interest in losing lots of money just by driving a new car out of the dealership. I know people who went to get be cars, but promised delivery dates that never happened then got a car with the wrong colour. They refused that new car, got their money back, went to another main dealer in the next town and picked up a 6 month old version of the same car but a better spec, better paint option etc that read £1500 more when new but still paid £300 less than the new one. Others bought 6 month old cars that had dropped £2k off a not very expensive model.
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Wilhelmus wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 12:15am Incidentally, not all adverts are rubbish. The ones with the meerkats are amazing. What sort of creative genius does it take to link market and meerkat, then invent a family of Russian meerkats? Only criticism is, if you're going to have a character called Oleg, find out how the Russians pronounce it. Not so much o-leg as al-yek. Still a wonderful campaign.
And there's the problem. I find those 'Compare the Market' ads boring and tired. And also I wonder about the whole 'Russian meerkats' concept; the meerkat is an African animal but we know they'd used a stereotypical African accent it would never have got on TV. There has been some speculation that the the whole point of the 'Compare the Meerkat' advert was that it was supposed to be a Russian mispronunciation of 'market'. If this is true then again they'd never have got away with it with a supposed Indian or Caribbean accent.

I liked the Carling Black Label bouncing bomb advert; but I guess loads of people could be offended by it nowadays; those who suffered under the Germans in WW2, or who suffered from Allied bombing, those with speech impediments and even England fans who've repeatedly suffered from losing penalty shootouts..... there seems to be no end to the capacity to be offended by something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCmhR2JK1VE
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I wonder how Yorkie-It's not for girls or the Castlemaine XXXX-Sherry for the ladies ads would fare today :lol:

https://youtu.be/pmfP3B45rIg

https://youtu.be/QcjlzSod0CE
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

this thread reminded me of this Stanley Baxter impersonating George Formby.
I checked andGeorge Formby didnt do this song
"My favorites are the adverts on the Telly"
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=my ... &FORM=VIRE
NUKe

Post by ANTONISH »

Hellhound wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 7:02pm 90% of the time the adverts are the only thing worth watching :lol: :lol:
But how do you find which ones are on?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Wilhelmus wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 12:15am Saw a new advert on TV this evening for a BMW electric car. Could have been a clone of any of the other adverts. I wonder if they're all made by the same agency? What ever happened to Nicole and her Papa?.....
Many years ago never ending laundry powder TV ads and it was generally said there purpose was not to get you to switch to any particular brand (there were apparently only a few manufacturers anyway) but rather to get you to wash your clothes more often and thus need to buy more of their product. I wonder if car ads are now along similar design - so convince you your old banger is reflecting badly on your aspirational lifestyle, how now moders 20/30 something would never be seen driving a 5 year old model so time to buy a new one ...

Ian
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Psamathe wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 12:13pm how now moders 20/30 something would never be seen driving a 5 year old model so time to buy a new one ...
Ian
5 years :shock:
Most 17/18 year olds won't be seen dead in owt 2 years old :shock:
A mate of mine bought his 17 year old daughter a 3 year old Corsa as a surprise for passing her test first time.Her reaction...."I'm not driving that!It's old and it's an effing Corsa"!!!!
Apparently she wanted an Audi A3 convertible :!: :!: :!: :shock:
Kids :lol: :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I never watch TV adverts,record anything we wish to watch on commercial TV and skip the ads.
That said,other than the odd drama and some sport we find the rest is mostly dross and a waste of our time.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

Wilhelmus wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 3:06pm Apart from rugger and the Boat Race, sport fails to inspire.
Haven't heard it called "rugger" for many years. I've come over all nostalgic now...
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Amongst classics, this has got to be one of my favourites:

As for the Hamlet cigars: hard to pick a fave, they're all classics. Perhaps this one:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
horizon

Post by horizon »

I watch mainly Freeview Channel 81 Talking Pictures. It is so good IMV and doing such a social service that I indulge them by actually watching all the adverts properly just to support it. I haven't bought one of the foam beds yet that they advertise but Ieast I show willing :lol: .

Talking Pictures: it really is excellent and if you haven't watched it yet, you are missing a treat.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
peetee

Post by peetee »

Tangled Metal wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 11:01pm Don't watch car adverts because we have no interest in losing lots of money just by driving a new car out of the dealership. I know people who went to get be cars, but promised delivery dates that never happened then got a car with the wrong colour. They refused that new car, got their money back, went to another main dealer in the next town and picked up a 6 month old version of the same car but a better spec, better paint option etc that read £1500 more when new but still paid £300 less than the new one. Others bought 6 month old cars that had dropped £2k off a not very expensive model.
I spoke to some friends recently and they walked into a car showroom, not really knowing what they wanted, and walked out with a brand new Skoda for £7000 less than list price. I didn’t dare ask what that list price was. :oops:
I’m a bit disconnected from reality in that respect having never bought a new car - or bicycle, for that matter.
I have tried to watch a few things at a friends house (I’ve not owned a TV for over ten years) and the multiple advert breaks drive me spare. I can’t think of a single thing I have ever been prompted to buy as a result of watching a TV ad.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.