2021 Flu Jab

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ANTONISH

2021 Flu Jab

Post by ANTONISH »

I've been trying to book the flu jab.
My surgery seems to have nothing to say on the matter - that's online - phoning involves a long queue with "your call is important to us" repeatedly.

I've looked at a pharmacy appointment but earliest available is around 20th November.

Is this the general experience? - I don't mind waiting but November seems a bit late.

I've not had this problem before but I usually have to phone the surgery to get on the list.

Booked covid booster jab today - online -no problem.
Jdsk

Re: 2021 Flu Jab

Post by Jdsk »

Is that in England?

And you're registered with that general practice?

And how old are you?

Thanks

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Yes in England- I'm 80 and registered with a practice. I know gp's are hard pressed in these times - I just need to be informed.
As it happens today they sent me a message to my phone asking me to make an appointment for a covid booster jab.
I tried to do so but message was "no appointments available" - hence I've booked it via the NHS system (29th October).
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I had mine yesterday, got a text from my local GP surgery about 10 days ago to ring them to make the appointment.
I felt a bit shivery afterwards, and didn't sleep very well last night and didn't feel too grand when I got up. I had some breakfast and then kipped on the couch for about 3 hours this morning, feeling OK now. Fourth year of having them.
Nu-Fogey
rjb

Post by rjb »

No problems with booking my flu jab at our GP surgery. We had a letter inviting us to book. Went like clockwork. No after effects. My experience trying to get a covid booster mirrors your problems with a flu vaccine. Read about it here. viewtopic.php?t=147964&start=90
My post is almost bottom of the page. :wink:
Last edited by rjb on 22 Oct 2021, 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I though flu & covid 3rd/booster vaccinations were going to be done at the same time. I'd have thought far more efficient on NHS resources and far easier of patients.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 1:21pm I though flu & covid 3rd/booster vaccinations were going to be done at the same time. I'd have thought far more efficient on NHS resources and far easier of patients.
They can be safely given at the same visit.

Current practice varies, and AFAICT that's only due to organisational issues rather than any policies.

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

Flu jabs in our rural area were carried out by a dedicated vaccination team who arrived at our gp surgery on a couple of Saturday's. Customers had a 2 minute slot to get in , jabbed and out through a one way system. No hanging around for 15 mins after a covid type setting. It was quick and efficient. Covid jabs are generally being given at large hubs set up for that sole delivery. That's in Somerset. May be different elsewhere.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

rjb wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 1:29pm Flu jabs in our rural area were carried out by a dedicated vaccination team who arrived at our gp surgery on a couple of Saturday's. Customers had a 2 minute slot to get in , jabbed and out through a one way system. No hanging around for 15 mins after a covid type setting. It was quick and efficient. Covid jabs are generally being given at large hubs set up for that sole delivery. That's in Somerset. May be different elsewhere.
It has been very much like that in our area in the past.
I don't know what's happening.
I've just had a second reminder to book my covid booster jab - I've had to explain that when they asked me to book this morning I attempted to do so and the message was "no appointments available" hence I've booked elsewhere with the NHS appointment system.
They've installed a new phone system and that doesn't seem too good either.
How the hell people with no internet manage I don't know.
I'll have to try again for the flu jab - don't know how other than phone - the practice website doesn't mention it.

I've just phoned the practice - they are having a practice meeting on Monday to decide what to do about the flu vaccine - the intention was to give it with the booster - I've got to phone back on Wednesday - I'm still bemused - the system has worked well for me in previous years..
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 9:54am Yes in England- I'm 80 and registered with a practice. I know gp's are hard pressed in these times - I just need to be informed.
As it happens today they sent me a message to my phone asking me to make an appointment for a covid booster jab.
I tried to do so but message was "no appointments available" - hence I've booked it via the NHS system (29th October).
ANTONISH wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 4:23pm I've just had a second reminder to book my covid booster jab - I've had to explain that when they asked me to book this morning I attempted to do so and the message was "no appointments available" hence I've booked elsewhere with the NHS appointment system.
They've installed a new phone system and that doesn't seem too good either.
How the hell people with no internet manage I don't know.
I'll have to try again for the flu jab - don't know how other than phone - the practice website doesn't mention it.
My enquiries didn't reveal any systematic problems with appointments for flu vaccination.

I recommend email for communicating with practices about this sort of thing.

I hope it's sorted soon.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 5:27pm [

Jonathan
I’ve seen you offer this advice before Johnathon in fact I followed it. I sent an email to my practice last year and still await any type of reply.
I don’t think email is universally used.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Local pharmacy had a cancellation and so gave us a ring (nice being on first name terms with half of the staff there).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 5:54pm
Jdsk wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 5:27pm I recommend email for communicating with practices about this sort of thing.
I’ve seen you offer this advice before Johnathon in fact I followed it. I sent an email to my practice last year and still await any type of reply.
I think that you're probably right. But it is widespread, and if it is there it's very efficient.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 5:54pm
Jdsk wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 5:27pm [

Jonathan
My own GP practice is happy to receive and act on e-mails but will never reply to e-mails by e-mail, not even if you say in your e-mail that you are happy to receive an e-mail reply. They either phone back, Royal Mail post a reply or just do it and say nothing.

I often feel that if you explicitly say an e-mail reply is acceptable it would save time nd money, but I appreciate that one instance of somebody taking exception (e.g. "I didn't realise you'd reply with my test results and <x> say the e-mail ...") and all the gains are more than lost.

Ian
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

ANTONISH wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 9:44am November seems a bit late.
I didn't get my letter until January.
Jdsk wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 5:27pm I recommend email for communicating with practices about this sort of thing.
My practice doesn't publish an email address. I have the practice manager's, but I think she'd tell me to phone if I were to use it for that sort of thing.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche