Royal Succession

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Wilhelmus

Royal Succession

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Re: Royal Succession

Post by Tangled Metal »

I thought it was announced or leaked that it was going to be King George VII.
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Tangled Metal wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 4:33pm I thought it was announced or leaked that it was going to be King George VII.
I read several years ago that was the intention.
I'm beyond caring.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Amazing thing "the Succession" - said to be the one thing that travels faster than the speed of light (or one of the things ...)

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 5:14pm Amazing thing "the Succession" - said to be the one thing that travels faster than the speed of light (or one of the things ...)
I'm not familiar with the current religious components of the procedure... is Mass obligatory?

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Wilhelmus wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 4:10pm Philip, in honour of his father, might be a strong contender, as also might be George, with much precedent behind it. The outsider coming up fast along the rails, though, is Arthur. Thing is, would he be Arthur the First, suggesting that King Arthur was just a myth, or Arthur the Second?
If, as rumoured, he doesn't want to be Charles III to avoid offending supporters of the previous claimant to that number, he's definitely going to steer clear of angering the Camelot fans!

Philip is unlikely because the number reopens a similar debate about whether to count Philip II of Spain, jure uxoris King of England and Ireland, in the English numbering.

So that leaves George.

However, if he does astonishingly well or badly, then later Kings may not wish to be George VIII, so we could have King Alex IV in a few decades, assuming there isn't an uncharacteristic outbreak of sanity and a president elected instead of rule being inherited.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

In my ignorance, I've always been puzzled by the fact that there was a King Edward the Confessor (he who screwed it up for Harold) - but later on there was a King Edward who styled himself Edward I. Any explanations?

Re 'George VII' - that would make Charles's grandson 'George VIII' (assuming the succession goes that way). But is there a sort of jinx on the regnal number 8? After all, Edward of that ilk didn't do so well - and Henry is no great role model either....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Blimey, I had no idea our ludicrous undemocratic nepotistic feudal system of governance allowed the next incumbent not merely rights by dint of their DNA but also the ability to choose their own flipping. title.

I demand a referendum to unite the country (always a guaranteed unifying force, your referendum) around a name, and put forward [drum roll...]

KING ROLLO!

download.jpeg
download.jpeg (19.04 KiB) Viewed 494 times
This has a number of advantages:

1. Instant name recognition
2. Attracts a new generation of fans
3. Artwork for notes, coins etc already done
4. Historical precedent - the real King Rollo was the viking conqueror of Normandy and an ancestor of William the <i>[rude word removed]</i> [ahem. Conqueror.]

UP THE REPUBLIC!!
Last edited by roubaixtuesday on 22 Oct 2021, 6:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Religion, monarchy, nation states - these concepts will crumble as dust reel soon. Blessed are the cheese-makers - for they shall inherit the earth, innit...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

661-Pete wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 6:30pm In my ignorance, I've always been puzzled by the fact that there was a King Edward the Confessor (he who screwed it up for Harold) - but later on there was a King Edward who styled himself Edward I. Any explanations?
Edward Longshanks first called himself Edward IV. That would fit with there having been three Anglo-Saxon Kings of England called Edward.

And then changed to Edward I. That would fit with a Year Zero concept of nothing of importance having happened before the Norman Conquest.

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

661-Pete wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 6:30pm In my ignorance, I've always been puzzled by the fact that there was a King Edward the Confessor (he who screwed it up for Harold) - but later on there was a King Edward who styled himself Edward I. Any explanations?
There used to be a pub in Stevenage New Town (long closed down I believe), called Edward The Confessor, it's local nickname was 'Ted the Grass' (it was that sort of pub). Maybe Ted the Grass 1 might mesh with Chaz's green image.
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... /Stevenage
Nu-Fogey
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I'm hoping he gives it a miss and passes it straight over to William & Kate, it would be nice to have a young royal family and those two seem OK,
- as long as the all new wanna-be kardashions don't take over I'm not that bothered.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 6:42pm Blimey, I had no idea our ludicrous undemocratic nepotistic feudal system of governance allowed the next incumbent not merely rights by dint of their DNA but also the ability to choose their own flipping. title.

I demand a referendum to unite the country (always a guaranteed unifying force, your referendum) around a name, and put forward [drum roll...]

KING ROLLO!

download.jpeg

This has a number of advantages:

1. Instant name recognition
2. Attracts a new generation of fans
3. Artwork for notes, coins etc already done
4. Historical precedent - the real King Rollo was the viking conqueror of Normandy and an ancestor of William the <i>[rude word removed]</i> [ahem. Conqueror.]

UP THE REPUBLIC!!
We can choose our own name and change it legally. Legally the heir can only change name on becoming crowned and only to one of their given names, given by their parents. Title is king or Prince. That's defined by law too. You started to make a joke point based on erroneous idea that royalty had an unfair right to change name (title).

Has my pedantry ruined your joke a little?

The only thing to unite the nation by referendum is possibly to call a British Antarctic Survey vessel "Boaty McBoatface "!!! Then the powers that be chose the second pkaced option. Do referenda ever unite or only divide?
rjb

Post by rjb »

I find Charles so dour perhaps he should just keep his title of the "Black Prince".
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D