Royal Succession

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Re: Royal Succession

Post by gbnz »

It'll be funny if Boris is still PM, when old lizzies dies. He's bound to make a badly timed joke, which should enliven proceedings
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Tangled Metal wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 8:30pm
Has my pedantry ruined your joke a little?
Au contraire, I'm Rollo-ing about in the aisles...
Tangled Metal wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 8:30pm
The only thing to unite the nation by referendum is possibly to call a British Antarctic Survey vessel "Boaty McBoatface "!!!
I like your thinking. Let's get Kingy McKingface the First on the ballot!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

gbnz wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 8:37pm It'll be funny if Boris is still PM, when old lizzies dies. He's bound to make a badly timed joke, which should enliven proceedings
The mayor of our town, whom we know personally, told us that she's scared stiff that Lizzie will snuff it on her watch, which lasts until the local elections in 2023. Apparently there's a whole long list of civic duties she has to perform in the event ... so, Liz, if you're reading this, please hold on until after May 2023. Ta very much.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 6:42pm Blimey, I had no idea our ludicrous undemocratic nepotistic feudal system of governance allowed the next incumbent not merely rights by dint of their DNA but also the ability to choose their own flipping. title.

I demand a referendum to unite the country (always a guaranteed unifying force, your referendum) around a name, and put forward [drum roll...]

KING ROLLO!

download.jpeg

This has a number of advantages:

1. Instant name recognition
2. Attracts a new generation of fans
3. Artwork for notes, coins etc already done
4. Historical precedent - the real King Rollo was the viking conqueror of Normandy and an ancestor of William the <i>[rude word removed]</i> [ahem. Conqueror.]

UP THE REPUBLIC!!
Actually before the Battle of Hastings he was just William the .
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
colin54

Post by colin54 »

pete75 wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 9:46pm
Actually before the Battle of Hastings he was just William the .
:lol:
As they say at the darts, good arras Pete.
Edit; Also for what it's worth, and despite not particularly being a Royalist, I think the Queen is an admirable person,
the way she's carried out and continues to carry out her duties is remarkable, long life to her.
Nu-Fogey
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Re:[rude word removed]

Shakespeare is littered with such characters: e.g: in King Lear, King John, Much Ado - there are probably others. It can't have been such a 'rude word' back then. I do know that such individuals are disqualified from becoming king.

Do they perform DNA tests these days, just to 'make sure'?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 8:30pmLegally the heir can only change name on becoming crowned and only to one of their given names, given by their parents. Title is king or Prince. That's defined by law too.
Which law is that, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Regnal names article here give a bit of information on the rules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regnal_na ... ed_Kingdom

Maybe he should be King Wikipedia in line with the spirit of our age, or perhaps King Bryn, that particular Welsh appelation has been going a-begging, and has historic Germanic re-branding precedents at least around these parts in recent times. :wink:
Edit, Potential future new anthem lyrics,
God Save Our Gracious King
Wiki's the name he's given him
GSOK
Links for the Curious
Facts sometimes spurious
Royalists so furious
Holding life's reigns for us
Wikipedia is King
To be sung to the tune of Stevie Wonder's ; He's Misstra Know it All

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uivvYGyQiow
Last edited by colin54 on 23 Oct 2021, 10:01am, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

661-Pete wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 9:24pm . so, Liz, if you're reading this, please hold on until after May 2023. Ta very much.
Oh yes, she definitely has to wait until it's warmer. As an individual who plays the Highland Bagpipes, practising down at Windsor Castle in the 90's, like most I've always looked forward a decent display of bands at the state funeral. But it'll be dreadful if it's cold, with out of tune instruments and cold fingers mangling the tunes :shock:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

colin54 wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 9:33am Regnal names article here give a bit of information on the rules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regnal_na ... ed_Kingdom

Maybe he should be King Wikipedia in line with the spirit of our age, or perhaps King Bryn, that particular Welsh appelation has been going a-begging, and has historic Germanic re-branding precedents at least around these parts in recent times. :wink:
Yes - the House of Windsor should really be the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha as it takes the name from the male line. Edward VII was from that house as was his son George V who changed it to Windsor in 1917. Queen Victoria was the last Hanoverian monarch. Charles should be the house Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg when he becomes king as that was the family name of Prince Philip.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Charlie should step aside and pass it on to one of his sons to 'modernise' the monarchy.The way things are going, Liz might out live him anyway.
Harry would be the best choice to start a new bloodline :wink: Bill the drone and his Stepford wife would just offer more of the same.

Better still just abolish the whole monarchy and convert all 'Royal' properties into cheap accommodation to home the homeless.
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Wilhelmus wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 2:07pm While abolishing the monarchy certainly has its attractions, it would have to be replaced with something. I feel having the head of government as the head of state also might not be a good idea......
But from a perspective of governance, what does she do. OK, the Royal Family lobby to protect their personal interests (modify legislation to ensure they are exempted), but beyond that it mostly appears a rubber stamping exercise (even when given unlawful things to rubber stamp).

Ian