Royal Succession

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Wilhelmus

Re: Royal Succession

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 8:39am
Tangled Metal wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 8:30pmLegally the heir can only change name on becoming crowned and only to one of their given names, given by their parents. Title is king or Prince. That's defined by law too.
Which law is that, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
No idea but I googled it and a lot of sites said the same thing. King name comes only from given names and unable to change name except on succeeding as king or queen. Too many sites said pretty much exactly the same thing for me to doubt there's some truth there. I bet you'd be able to find the source law for this better than I. My Google fu isn't great!

You will probably have heard of many rules, laws and practises surrounding the king of Queen and heir. Things I've read includes birth of the King's children have to be watched by officials, King's closest advisors, to make sure nothing untoward happens like changling swapped in at birth. No idea how accurate that is but there's lots of similar things surrounding the monarch.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Wilhelmus wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 2:32pm I suppose that's right. Maybe the time has come to have a proper discussion about all this, before any transition actually happens.
However any change needs to be well thought out and do you trust the parliamentarians to do that? A democratic convention perhaps? Maybe end up like America with ex president who doesn't know his own country's founding history! :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 3:00pm
Jdsk wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 8:39am
Tangled Metal wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 8:30pmLegally the heir can only change name on becoming crowned and only to one of their given names, given by their parents. Title is king or Prince. That's defined by law too.
Which law is that, please?
No idea but I googled it and a lot of sites said the same thing. King name comes only from given names and unable to change name except on succeeding as king or queen. Too many sites said pretty much exactly the same thing for me to doubt there's some truth there.
Thanks

I'm not aware of any such law.

Jonathan
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Some things that people assume are 'laws', actually aren't.

I read somewhere that a new (RC) Pope is supposed to take, either his own first name, or that of a previous Pope, other than 'Peter'. Since the 17th century all Popes have chosen the latter option (John Paul I took the names of two predecessors).

But the present Pope broke with the tradition: there's never been a 'Pope Francis' before this one. So apparently there's no law about it.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Aw, c'mon, people, the old bat hasn't popped her clogs yet - talk about bad taste! :roll:
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

What happens if a future monarch is an atheist ?
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 2:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jules59 wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 5:38pm What happens if a future monarch is an atheist ?
I'd expect business as usual, unless the natural successor made a fuss about it. There isn't really a relevant proof or qualification or certification in the process other than what the individual says.

Being a Catholic would be different.

Jonathan

Edited: Crossed with previous post.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

George VII is my bet.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Wilhelmus wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 2:07pm While abolishing the monarchy certainly has its attractions, it would have to be replaced with something. I feel having the head of government as the head of state also might not be a good idea. Particularly, some may think, the present head of government, although I'm not saying that. At least he's a cyclist. And he went to a decent university. An elected president is usually the favourite suggestion, and Ireland, our nearest neighbour, has one of those, so we might look at their record in that regard. Their term is 7 years, although Mary Robinson cut hers short to take up a UN post. The present incumbent, Michael D. Higgins, recently declined to attend the service in Armagh to mark the anniversary of Northern Ireland, because he 'wasn't in a position to attend.' Me eye. His decision reflects his own political leanings, which shouldn't count in his position. As a Protestant, if I were living in Ireland, I wouldn't consider that he represented me. So hardly a recommendation for an elected president. Anarchy, now.....
Would a Catholic living in Britain regard the Queen, Supreme Governor of the protestant Church of England, as representing them?

Northern Ireland is the last part of Ireland still occupied by Britain. Why would the President of Ireland take any part in commemorating it's founding?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I hear Bonnie Prince Charlie was named after three dogs. Maybe use that precedent?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

geocycle wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 2:28pm I hear Bonnie Prince Charlie was named after three dogs. Maybe use that precedent?
King Rex - sounds good to me.....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:55pm, edited 1 time in total.