Any car experts here?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Wilhelmus

Any car experts here?

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: Any car experts here?

Post by Jdsk »

I'd guess that you'll finally conclude either:

1 Head gasket failure. Have a look at the coolant for any strange appearance from emulsion. Chemical and compression tests are also available.

2 It's one of those things. Expansion tanks in pressurised coolant systems are quite complex. The original volume might have been a bit low and the overheating might have caused some coolant to be shifted into the expansion system.

So:
• check the appearance of the coolant
• look for leaks
• fill it with the heater system open
• and keep an eye on the level.

I hope that it's the cheaper cause.

Jonathan
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

The 'radiator' cap will release boiling fluid and 'steam' if over-pressured (which is probably what happened) - the fluid will be distributed over the road / car park once it condensed.
HTH.
"42"
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Keep an eye on it as maybe the water pump is starting to fail which might of also contributed to belt failure.
I’ve always found expansion tanks find their own level often just below the line.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Years ago, I had an excellent car, which gained a cult following. The design history had begun back in the late '70s, and by the mid '80s, it was a solid seller with its turbo diesel emerging as the favourite model. By the early 2010s when I owned one, there was a busy and invaluable owners' forum. To cut a long story short, the bane of the otherwise bullet-proof diesel engine was its cooling system. It was depressingly easy to do in the head-gasket and if attention was not paid to the two dashboard warning lights, the engine was a gonner... it too had a header tank.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

squeaker wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 10:29am The 'radiator' cap will release boiling fluid and 'steam' if over-pressured (which is probably what happened) - the fluid will be distributed over the road / car park once it condensed.
HTH.
Yep. Coolant loss caused by overheating.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
rjb

Post by rjb »

Thanks for that information. I've just had my 2009 i10 serviced and due to visit my grandchildren tomorrow, a trip of 150 miles. Will be paying a bit more attention to the temp gauge and the steering feel. :D

Anyone remember the days when if you fan belt failed you whipped the tights of your partner to use as a get you home replacement. :oops:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
colin54

Post by colin54 »

rjb wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 1:01pm
Anyone remember the days when if you fan belt failed you whipped the tights of your partner to use as a get you home replacement. :oops:
Putting your thumb out with those on can't have fooled many ! :)
Nu-Fogey
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

rjb wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 1:01pm Thanks for that information. I've just had my 2009 i10 serviced and due to visit my grandchildren tomorrow, a trip of 150 miles. Will be paying a bit more attention to the temp gauge and the steering feel. :D
Take a look at the belt now. If it’s looking old, well cracked, then change it now. It’s a lot easier, cheaper and simpler to do at home than on the side of a Mway.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've had a look under the bonnet and it appears ok. This is the first car iv'e owned that has been serviced by a garage. The days when i was prepared to crawl underneath to change the oil and do all the maintenance are now long gone. I prefer nowadays to rely on the breakdown cover i purchased and yet to use. If i do need to get underneath i'm not sure i could get up again. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I am coming to the conclusion that I don't have a car any more - what I do have is a computer, fitted with some seats, 4 wheels and a motor somewhere, which I can neither see, nor hear much, nor reach...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 3:01pm I am coming to the conclusion that I don't have a car any more - what I do have is a computer, fitted with some seats, 4 wheels and a motor somewhere, which I can neither see, nor hear much, nor reach...
Yep. My wife's new car will even change the way the headlamps dip when the GPS says it's somewhere where you drive on the left. Most functions can be controlled by a voice system that works better than those Alexa things.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As much as I appreciate my car's ability to help me drive, I have a deep sorrow that comes from the stupid and avoidable way that we, both as a nation-state and as a world economy, are so invested in the bloody things. Given how adept we are at inventing all sort of things, isn't it such a shame that we're locked into the automobile...
As Ry Cooder is singing into my L lug 'ole just now, it seems "We're trying to get to Heaven on the cheapest kind of fare.".
S
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I think it's the simplicity of classic cars that make them popular. People forget they required more maintenance and were less reliable.
I rarely open the bonnet of our Toyota, check levels every 6 months and let the garage sort out anything else.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

francovendee wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 7:34am I think it's the simplicity of classic cars that make them popular. People forget they required more maintenance and were less reliable.
I rarely open the bonnet of our Toyota, check levels every 6 months and let the garage sort out anything else.
I think "less reliable" needs to be seen in the context of more ease of repair for someone with oily fingers?

Bulb changing is easy for example on most older vehicles. A matter of a few minutes.
A journey right across the Continent where a bulb can fail holds no trepidation!
And I arrive legally lit. :D