GCHQ data to be stored by Amazon.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

GCHQ data to be stored by Amazon.

Post by pete75 »

The Government is to spend up to a billion quid paying Amazon to store high security data. Apart from issues over data security why give lots of taxpayers to a company which pays very little tax on it's UK earnings.

https://www.computing.co.uk/news/403922 ... t-material
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Re: GCHQ data to be stored by Amazon.

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Whilst I am sure you probably meant "taxpayer's money" I think the sentence as written is probably just as accurate.

Bulk storage benefits from economies of scale and large scale management... but the gov has that scale already, but that would require taxation and that would mean their accountants would charge even more to avoid it.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Perhaps it's to tempt state actors to chance their arms and then get nailed by embedded tracking? If the data is encrypted before transfer it should be fine.
If Amazon offer storage for $10 per storage amount then Boris should only pay $8 to cover the tax dodging part.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'll just pop this here:

https://www.2oceansvibe.com/2021/10/25/ ... cht-video/

The largest sailing yacht ever built.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Captain Nemo and the Nautilus at your service :D
It's time to go :-)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Will GCHQ be automatically enrolled in Amazon Prime?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 9:11am Will GCHQ be automatically enrolled in Amazon Prime?
Very good. : - )

Jonathan

PS:

"UK Trident base... Compare with similar items"
Last edited by Jdsk on 30 Oct 2021, 11:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Other people who told us these secrets also told us these.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

On Her Majesty's Secret Server
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 1:28pm .....Bulk storage benefits from economies of scale and large scale management... but the gov has that scale already, but that would require taxation and that would mean their accountants would charge even more to avoid it.
Something I've never fully understood how Amazon can provide the service and make a good profit but given the scale, why can't the Gov. provide the service themselves and keep the "profit". It's a large enough requirement that I'd have thought that economies of scale are not a consideration.

OK, the Gov would have to pay a few lawyers for a few court cases when Bezzos sues 'cos he didn't win the contract but that's a small costs compared to the "up to billion quid" involved.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 11:19am Other people who told us these secrets also told us these.
axel_knutt wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 12:53pm On Her Majesty's Secret Server
: - )

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 1:04pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 1:28pm .....Bulk storage benefits from economies of scale and large scale management... but the gov has that scale already, but that would require taxation and that would mean their accountants would charge even more to avoid it.
Something I've never fully understood how Amazon can provide the service and make a good profit but given the scale, why can't the Gov. provide the service themselves and keep the "profit". It's a large enough requirement that I'd have thought that economies of scale are not a consideration.

OK, the Gov would have to pay a few lawyers for a few court cases when Bezzos sues 'cos he didn't win the contract but that's a small costs compared to the "up to billion quid" involved.

Ian
Yes, I agree - after all, our chums at .gov have a proven track record in major IT projects :shock: