Plymouth gin

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Plymouth gin

Post by philvantwo »

Avoid this stuff folks, its the worst drink..........
ever!!!
Whilst I love Ginsters pasties its hard to believe they're made in the same county as this nasty excuse for a gin.
:| :|
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Plymouth gin

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 6:06pm ........... its hard to believe they're made in the same county .......
What???????

Plymouth Gin is made in Plymouth.
Ginsters Pasties are made in Callington.

Have a check in an atlas to see where these places are. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was wondering how long before Mick F was on the case!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Are you winding me up? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plymouth Gin, especially the Navy Strength 57%abv is very good indeed. The distillery is well worth a visit if only for the guided tour.

Ginsters Pasties are awful. They can't sell them hereabouts as no-one will eat them and I very much doubt you can get a guided tour.
We know people who work there and how they are made .................. don't ask! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Gin tastes like washing up liquid and Ginsters are the ‘school dinners’ of the pasty world.... but then I am spoiled by having rather a lot of choice of local ‘small volume’ producers, the best of which I have tried is St Agnes Bakery.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
DaveBeck

Post by DaveBeck »

Mick F wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 6:30pm Are you winding me up? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plymouth Gin, especially the Navy Strength 57%abv is very good indeed. The distillery is well worth a visit if only for the guided tour.

Ginsters Pasties are awful. They can't sell them hereabouts as no-one will eat them and I very much doubt you can get a guided tour.
We know people who work there and how they are made .................. don't ask! :wink:
There's a reason why the Ginsters factory is only about a mile from the border into England :wink: It's because they can then claim their PSO's (Pasty Shaped Object's) as Cornish pasties, but ship them easily and quickly east of the border to the unfortunate population, who have not come across a proper Cornish Pasty.

Dave B
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Think I’ll go back to bed or am I still dreaming? I can’t believe my eyes. Have I just read
Whilst I love Ginsters pasties
:lol: :lol: What a poor excuse for a pastie I couldn’t even finish one I bought.

As for Gin then it’s Gordons all day long for me.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

DaveBeck wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 7:44am There's a reason why the Ginsters factory is only about a mile from the border into England :wink: It's because they can then claim their PSO's (Pasty Shaped Object's) as Cornish pasties .............
Mr Ginster set up a factory in a disused egg-packing shed in 1969 on the site the present factory occupies ........... well before Cornish Pasties had geographical status.

I was in Garstang (Lancs) on my way south on a JOGLE years ago and bought what was described as a "Cornish Pasty" in a cafe in the town. It had peas in it! :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Tanqueray is my favourite Gin.There is a bar in Puerto Pollenca,Mallorca that serves up the equivalent of a UK treble-treble in a fish bowl sized glass for €5 8)
I had the best 'Cornish' pasty ever in Devon a few years ago.Devon do a proper cream Tea too :lol: :wink:
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I can recommend Philps Pasties in Praze-an-Beeble. Our LEJOG route from Penzance took us there on the B3280 through Goldsithney and Leedstown.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

Apparently Plymouth Gin is the preferred style for having in a Pink Gin. I would have though Plymouth Gin was a style of gin rather than a brand as is "London Dry Gin" for which some brands are considerably nicer than others
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

profpointy wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 12:14pmI would have though Plymouth Gin was a style of gin rather than a brand as is "London Dry Gin" for which some brands are considerably nicer than others
It was, but there's now only one brand.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Norman H wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 10:33am I can recommend Philps Pasties in Praze-an-Beeble. Our LEJOG route from Penzance took us there on the B3280 through Goldsithney and Leedstown.
I know the place, though not eaten a pastie there.
Cycled through a few times over the years.
Mick F. Cornwall
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Hellhound wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 9:45amDevon do a proper cream Tea too :lol: :wink:
If you turn it upside down maybe.
There's a car in the car park in work (in central Cambridge) with a bumper sticker just saying "Jam First". I wonder how many in the heathen east understand it. I was thinking of getting one myself, but then realized I'd have to buy a car to put it on :lol: