Plymouth gin

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Re: Plymouth gin

Post by philvantwo »

So Plymouth gin is not really made in Plymouth if it arrives in one tanker, flavoured in the factory, then leaves in another tanker to be bottled hundreds of miles away?
We went to the Bushmills distillery a few years ago, no photographs allowed in there either. They also bottle Teachers whisky.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

philvantwo wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 6:51am So Plymouth gin is not really made in Plymouth if it arrives in one tanker, flavoured in the factory, then leaves in another tanker to be bottled hundreds of miles away?
We went to the Bushmills distillery a few years ago, no photographs allowed in there either. They also bottle Teachers whisky.
Same principle applies to a lot of (maybe most) bicycle brands.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Obviously!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All I know is, the Plymouth Gin distillery distilled wine to make the neat spirit. It was then "watered down" and flavoured with the botanicals.
All done in-house ........... or it was when we were shown round.

I suppose the wine came in by tanker. I couldn't possibly comment one way or another.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Having actually been to the distillery in 2020 and taking the basic tour. We were told the alcohol currently comes from Yorkshire. I believe Plymouth did once make their own spirit but presumably its economics or the sheer scale of their production that these days encourages them to buy the basic unflavoured spirit in.

Thing is, most gins are made this way. You can start with the flavourless alcohol which you buy in and add what herbs etc you like yourself. You can actually join a diy group at the Plymouth gin distillery and try it yourself. They have a room with a dozen or so mini stills for attendees and you make your own and take the result home with you. The main stills are huge and awesome!

I have been to Bushmills too. I nearly passed out from the fumes around the fish tank things that the distilled liquor poured into. It was noticeable they gave all the yankee visitors a bigger sample so they spent more in the shop! :lol:

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 24 Nov 2021, 9:25am, edited 2 times in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

philvantwo wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 6:51am So Plymouth gin is not really made in Plymouth if it arrives in one tanker, flavoured in the factory, then leaves in another tanker to be bottled hundreds of miles away?
From what I can tell it's distilled on site and not only flavoured and bottled. But that doesn't mean that spirit (rather than undistllled wine) isn't shipped in... there might be more than one distillation in the whole process...

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have seen an old VW camper body with a complete mini gin distillery on the back. It attends country fairs etc. Punters can choose from a large array of botanicals and distill their own personal gin on the spot!

Al
Mobile distillery
Mobile distillery
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Al, your info regarding Plymouth Gin is very much more up to date than mine!
We were there in the mid 1990s (at a guess).

It must mean that that poster on Plymouth Station is wrong, as it isn't a working distillery. It might "work" in the true sense of the word though.

Oxford Gin.
Anyone heard of it?
https://www.theoxfordartisandistillery.com
Scroll down the page and see the still.

My mate Paul made that! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 10:17amOxford Gin.
Anyone heard of it?
https://www.theoxfordartisandistillery.com
I like it, but it's very expensive.

(And I often cycle round there.)

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 10:17am Al, your info regarding Plymouth Gin is very much more up to date than mine!
We were there in the mid 1990s (at a guess).

It must mean that that poster on Plymouth Station is wrong, as it isn't a working distillery. It might "work" in the true sense of the word though.
Well, our Plymouth Gin tour was a U3A job and I am sure the guide had no reason to tell porkies about what might be seen as a rather negative admission. The distillery description in Plymouth's case obviously only now applies to the distilling process of adding the botanical flavourings. There are hoards of folk making all sorts of gins and flogging them at inflated prices around just now and I suspect a lot of them are buying their basic alcohol spirit in.

Our current favourite is Harrisons gin from Aldi. Very reasonable pricing at only £15.99 for something quite special.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/search?text=Harr ... tegory=ALL

Al
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 3:38pmWell, our Plymouth Gin tour was a U3A job and I am sure the guide had no reason to tell porkies about what might be seen as a rather negative admission. The distillery description in Plymouth's case obviously only now applies to the distilling process of adding the botanical flavourings.
Adding botanicals or any other flavouring isn't distilling.

But who is saying that they aren't doing any distilling, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Eh?

Al
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

There are many methods of making gin and botanical flavourings can be added at any stage. If you book in at Plymouth for your own personalised gin making session you can experience that.

Al
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Several posts have bee removed.

Please argue nicely.

Thanks
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Reads VP's post. Shakes head, wondering how Plymouth Gin might precipitate argument, unless taken to excess :?