Plymouth gin

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kylecycler

Re: Plymouth gin

Post by kylecycler »

philvantwo wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 7:43am Ginsters?
Made in Cornwall......just up the road from Gunnislake!!
:lol: :lol:
Well, Ginsters would have to do until I master Al's recipe. :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

DevonDamo wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 11:09pm Although I disagree with @al_yrpal on many things, I still see him as the archetypal English gent and find the suggestion that he may be confrontational or aggressive to be ludicrous: Whatever reason Vorpal had for deleting those two posts and making this comment, it is clear that this explains the further report that you've cited above - i.e. the person making that report was confident that @al_yrpal's post would be deleted, regardless of whether this was justified. If moderation is not being applied impartially, it will inevitably lead to more work in the end.
I have not done all of the moderation on this thread. According to the moderator logs, at least 5 moderator actions have been taken on the thread in the last few days.

Further discussion about moderation will result in the thread being split and this discussion moved to one of the existing threads about moderation.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

It's a sair fecht, Vorpal - the phrase 'take heart and not the gin' comes to mind - and maybe treat yourself to a pastie, you've earned it. :)

(Edit: if that sounds sarcastic, it's not meant to.)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 6:40amPasties for me have to have a peppery taste and I have found it difficult to judge just the right amount.
We had pasties from The Original Pasty House in Tavistock last week.
Peppery, and I didn't like them.
http://www.pastyhouse.co.uk

The main point with the Ginster's Pasty, is it's too peppery, so I don't like them.

If pasties could be made without pepper or with black pepper instead of the horrible white pepper, they may be better.

There are many pasty suppliers and sellers here, and most of their offerings aren't peppery at all. Warrens are excellent.
https://warrensbakery.co.uk/product-cat ... s-by-post/

As far as I'm concerned, food shouldn't be seasoned when cooking, but the person who's eating the food should be able to add whatever seasoning lights their candle.

Salt and Shake crisps for instance. Add white pepper if you want!
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I was distinctly unimpressed by Warrens when I was in Cornwall earlier year. Aunty May's little shop in Newlyn was a much better pastie, I recall.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

kylecycler wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 9:00am It's a sair fecht, Vorpal - the phrase 'take heart and not the gin' comes to mind - and maybe treat yourself to a pastie, you've earned it. :)

(Edit: if that sounds sarcastic, it's not meant to.)
mmm pasty... I might have to make some.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I tried a Warrens in Exeter central and wasnt impressed.
On my rides over to Honiton I always reward myself with a pasty from the bakery there. There is no crimped edge, the pasties are simply sealed at the edge. Left me wondering if this is a Devon thing?
Ginsters pastry belongs on sausage rolls to my mind. Around here the pasties are often filled with mince. The potato and swede should still be in tiny cubes when cooked IMO.
Its all a matter of taste! As long as everybody is catered for.. :wink:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's Warrens and there's Warrens maybe.
The stuff is cooked on the premises as far as I know.
The one we use is outside of Trago Mills, Two Waters Foot, Liskeard.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.45516 ... 312!8i6656

Main thing to me, is that they ain't peppery or over seasoned. Just nicely cooked, and with no mush inside.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Trago Mills! How I miss Trago..here we have Chaplins but it doesnt have the statuary :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Vorpal wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 8:23amI have not done all of the moderation on this thread. According to the moderator logs, at least 5 moderator actions have been taken on the thread in the last few days.
As far as a response to the very specific allegation made, this counts as a deafening silence, but I know when it's time to move on, so back to the OP:

Home made pasties are the way forward, and I'm a dab hand even though I say it myself. My only problem is that when I pour in the Plymouth gin, the carrots and apples float clear of the corned beef and get in the way when I'm trying to crimp the puff pastry.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

We had two from Penngannas in Tintagel, you could watch them being made. Even Jethros been there!
I wonder if Mick F knows him?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jethro?
Met him once. Wasn't impressed.

Here's his place up on the Old A30 just along from Lewtrenchard Primary School. I think he's retired or stopped doing his excuse for comedy these days. His place looks deserted nowadays.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.66021 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

al_yrpal wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:51am Trago Mills! How I miss Trago..here we have Chaplins but it doesnt have the statuary :lol:

Al
Chaplin's started from the Barbican in Plymouth before relocating to larger premises in Plympton. That end of the Barbican still has evidence of Brunel's Broad gauge railway line if you look carefully, just don't let your wheel drop into the slot. :lol: I went down to the barbican on alternate weekends to shovel sand into my dad's trailer whilst he was refurbishing the house. :D. 1960's
Last edited by rjb on 26 Nov 2021, 7:23pm, edited 3 times in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:31am There's Warrens and there's Warrens maybe.
The stuff is cooked on the premises as far as I know.
The one we use is outside of Trago Mills, Two Waters Foot, Liskeard.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.45516 ... 312!8i6656

Main thing to me, is that they ain't peppery or over seasoned. Just nicely cooked, and with no mush inside.
Never heard it called Two waters Foot, is that the posh description of Trerulefoot. The A30 often flooded there in my day.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Jethro is the most famous man in Cornwall!
Can't believe Mick F doesn't like him, nor Ginsters pasties!
What are your 3 favourite things about Cornwall Mick F?