Plymouth gin

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Plymouth gin

Post by Mick F »

Personally, I like scones with lashings of butter and jam.
The clotted cream is superfluous and is best reserved for apple pies or mince pies.

................ or when making a good beef stroganoff like we had on Sunday.

Rodda's Clotted Cream.
https://www.roddas.co.uk
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Thats how i like my scones, plenty of butter and jam but with a large dollop of clotted cream on top. Yum Yum. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Yes, keep drinking Gordon's gin folks!!
My Diageo shares have risen almost 32% this year :lol: :lol:
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Strongbow.......I always have a pint of Cornwalls finest cider when I'm there!
I tried the riddler cider once, nasty stuff.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Went to Plymouth on the train today.
Spot of shopping, then home.

Thought you all might like this photo across from Platform Four to Platform Five.
Zoom in for a clearer view! :D
IMG_0884.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Hi Mick F, have you ever been on a tour of that distillery?
rjb

Post by rjb »

I had a guided tour when I was studying at Plymouth Polytechnic. Our tutor had done some work for the distillery involving pipe flow calculations and Reynolds numbers. He arranged for a special tasting and tour for our mechanical engineering undergrads. I don't remember much after we got beyond the Juniper stage and 531 never got a mention. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

philvantwo wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 7:34am Strongbow.......I always have a pint of Cornwalls finest cider when I'm there!
I tried the riddler cider once, nasty stuff.
Strongbow, brewed in Hereford. Or Belgium :(

Work colleague of mine up the road has built a business around his orchards since he retired. Very nice it is too.
https://crestcyder.co.uk/awards.html
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 7:05pm Hi Mick F, have you ever been on a tour of that distillery?
Yep.
Very interesting too. Well-worth a visit.
Mick F. Cornwall
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Some time ago I went to two back-to-back conferences, both of which featured a distillery tour (whisky and whiskey). One thing I remember is signs everywhere forbidding mobile phones and other electronic devices. They were all on their own sites without much risk of collateral damage should something go wrong. I wonder what the plans are at Plymouth gin? The Barbican is just about the only bit of Plymouth that didn't benefit from the Luftwaffe town planning division so it's in quite a special area
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

CliveyT wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 9:23am Some time ago I went to two back-to-back conferences, both of which featured a distillery tour (whisky and whiskey). One thing I remember is signs everywhere forbidding mobile phones and other electronic devices.
What were they worried about, please?

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

CliveyT wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 9:23am One thing I remember is signs everywhere forbidding mobile phones and other electronic devices. They were all on their own sites without much risk of collateral damage should something go wrong. I wonder what the plans are at Plymouth gin? The Barbican is just about the only bit of Plymouth that didn't benefit from the Luftwaffe town planning division so it's in quite a special area
We went round the Plymouth gin place yonks ago. We didn't have a mobile phone then, and I don't think there was any warning about them.

They showed us how it's made and the ingredients (but not the proportions) and we saw the huge stills and the main plant.
Afterwards, we went into the shop and the wide variety of the gins they make, and we bought a bottle of the Navy Strength ....... gorgeous! :D

The place has a bistro and a bar, and it's quite a night-life magnet, as is the rest of the Barbican. Best pub there is the Dolphin where they serve Bass straight from the barrel.
If you like Beryl Cook, you'll love it there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_Inn,_Plymouth

Just up the road round the corner from the Barbican, you can find the Minerva - oldest pub in Plymouth circa 1540.
https://sites.google.com/site/theminerv ... th/history
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

And when you stagger out of the distillery you were confronted by this mural.
lenkiewicz-barbican-mural.jpg
Has it survived the ravages of time and salt air.
I knew one of the kids in the bottom right corner from school.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Went round the the Plymouth Gin distillery last year. The spirit comes in a tanker from Yorkshire. They put it through the stills adding botanicals at Plymouth and its sent off in an unmarked tanker to Braintree Essex for bottling and labelling.

Like Mick I bought a bottle of Navy strength to take home 😄 A few tots puts you in a purchasing mood....

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent info guys! :D :D
It makes me want to cycle down to Plymouth again!

I like calling in at Cap'n Jaspers there for a cheese burger (with onions) and mug of tea please.
You go to the counter and put your order in and pay. They give you the cuppa and a numbered ticket and call you when your food is ready.

One day there, and I remember it well, I was given No 57.
I sat down and started my cuppa, and then the lady called out 57!
I went up to get my cheese burger like wot I'd ordered, and saw it was a double cheese burger with loadsa bacon. I asked her 57?
She said yes, 57, and so I sat down with it.
Grief! it was huge! :shock:
How people can eat so much, I'll never know, and I couldn't finish it. The seagulls got the last of it. :lol:

http://www.capn-jaspers.co.uk/index
Mick F. Cornwall