i've found a phone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: i've found a phone

Post by thirdcrank »

Happy ending.

The owner's partner rang and I managed to answer it. Owner and phone now reunited and I'm relieved it's all sorted out. With my thanks to those above who helped.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Well done.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 4:20pmI really ought to update my list of prescriptions on there...
My experience of people entering their personal emergency/ medical data into smart 'phones is that it has always followed an adverse incident...

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

So long as it's followed, rather than been followed by...

I'll be updating all the details across the whole family this evening - just to check that it's in place correctly.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 5:21pm So long as it's followed, rather than been followed by...

I'll be updating all the details across the whole family this evening - just to check that it's in place correctly.
I'd be interested in your thoughts after doing that.

Thanks

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Based on my recent experience I'd recommend a note in the phone case of a contact phone number or three.

This also showed me that it's not only me who's easily confused. Once contact had been made by her partner, I was able to tell the owner our address and make collection arrangements. By the time they came for it, I was out, taking my granddaughter to her dance class. Mrs thirdcrank received a call from them parked in our street but they'd forgotten the house number. Luckily, she managed to answer it and they all lived happily .... till the next crisis
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent! :D

As for the point of having something in the phone case, I have my organ donor card in there as well as my Covid vaccination record card.

Other than that, I have a home-made laminated card with my name, date of birth, and NOK info in my saddle bag for when I go riding.
You never know, that should the worst happen and I get squidged, my phone in my back pocket could get squidged also.
Hopefully, my saddle bag would survive! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The problem I had yesterday was that I had the phone and no contact number: the reverse of "find my phone." Had there been a contact number, the situation would have been finalised in a couple of minutes. As it was, all concerned had a tense couple of hours.

I was a bit surprised how concerned my granddaughter was that if she touched the phone she risked being accused of theft. She now knows that she did the right thing in spotting it (a black case under an overgrown hedge) and telling an adult who was able to deal with it. She also knows now that making enquiries to trace the owner of lost property is not the action of a thief.

The loser was lucky in that the phone must have fallen onto the footway and then either bounced under the hedge or been accidentally kicked. Had it gone the other way, it would have been run over by a vehicle on the school run. No amount of contact numbers would have saved it.
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 2:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Wilhelmus wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 11:42am Only just came across this thread, and am wondering what was the need for it? As a child, it was my understanding that, if you found anything of value, you handed it in to the police station. Similarly, if you lost anything, you checked at the station to see if anybody had handed it in. After six months, if nobody claimed it, they gave it to you (or that was the theory anyway). I know the model of policing, and maybe our perception of it, has changed, and not for the better. However, when the opportunity presents for the police to serve us in ways to which we had become accustomed, perhaps we should not let the chance pass. Evening all!
I read the request and the actions as sheer helpfulness. And the 'phone was quickly returned without taking up any police time.

Jonathan
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 11:43am
Wilhelmus wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 11:42am Only just came across this thread, and am wondering what was the need for it? As a child, it was my understanding that, if you found anything of value, you handed it in to the police station. Similarly, if you lost anything, you checked at the station to see if anybody had handed it in. After six months, if nobody claimed it, they gave it to you (or that was the theory anyway). I know the model of policing, and maybe our perception of it, has changed, and not for the better. However, when the opportunity presents for the police to serve us in ways to which we had become accustomed, perhaps we should not let the chance pass. Evening all!
I read the request and the actions as sheer helpfulness. And the 'phone was quickly returned without taking up any police time.

Jonathan
My initial reason for posting was that somebody might know more than I do about about accessing something like the contacts list. One particularly useful post was [XAP]Bob's reference to a charger "that fits" which prompted me to check before plunging my lightning cable in.

Beyond that, I was perhaps subconsciously preparing to show I had no intention permanently to deprive the owner if some electronic wizardry brought somebody suspicious knocking on my door. Probably the effects of growing older.

Re handing in to the police, that would have been my course had I still been stuck with it this morning, but even before I retired in 1997, the police around here at least were only recording details of most found property and telling finders to be keepers, with the proviso that found property still belonged to the true owner. Had I rung the police, I could not even have quoted the make, which was not shown on the part I could see.

Incidentally, there's a useful "foe" feature on this forum. I have no foes, but I use it for posters who don't add value, if they don't quickly get fed up and move on.
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 2:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Wilhelmus wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 12:57pm How do we define value, exactly?
I think that might not get through.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 12:35pm Incidentally, there's a useful "foe" feature on this forum. I have no foes, but I use it for posters who don't add value, if they don't quickly get fed up and move on.
This is very much off topic eh? :wink:

I have never used the foe feature until recently.
The poster on my foe list - the only one EVER - will remain there.

I'll let people guess who he is.
Mick F. Cornwall