i've found a phone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

i've found a phone

Post by thirdcrank »

Or rather, my granddaughter did when we were walking home from school

Any ideas for getting it back to the owner?

It's obviously only been dropped this afternoon eg there's a timer set for 1700 today. A call came from "Mum" just now but I'm too thick to answer this phone.

It's in a snap case but no clues about ID
Jdsk

Re: i've found a phone

Post by Jdsk »

What type?

And have you already tried to find any emergency contacts on it?

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The general shape and layout suggests to me it's an Iphone but posher than mine. However, the screen for the incoming call was unfamiliar.

I've no idea about searching for emergency numbers. It's locked and if I go beyond the locked screen, all I get is the keypad with a message "wrong pin" That may be because when we found it, I asked the nearest person if they had lost it and they had a bit of a play with it.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Do you have a charger that will fit it?

Keep it powered on and take a photo of the next call screen?

Even if you can't answer a call if it's an iPhone the owner will be able to find your house...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 4:09pm The general shape and layout suggests to me it's an Iphone but posher than mine. However, the screen for the incoming call was unfamiliar.

I've no idea about searching for emergency numbers. It's locked and if I go beyond the locked screen, all I get is the keypad with a message "wrong pin" That may be because when we found it, I asked the nearest person if they had lost it and they had a bit of a play with it.
Does it say "Emergency" at the bottom left of the passcode entry screen?

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I thought the slot on the bottom was the same as mine but on examination, it isn't. It looks a bit like a usb, but not one of a size I'm familar with
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Thanks Jonathon - I really ought to update my list of prescriptions on there...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There's a button below the keypad saying "Emergency call." I presume that rings 999
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 4:21pm There's a button below the keypad saying "Emergency call." I presume that rings 999
If it's an iPhone then Emergency should lead to the Medical ID option without making an Emergency call.

Jonathan

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chatting to Mrs Mick F regarding this .............

She says get onto the local community group. There must be a FaceBook page, as that's what we would do here.
Someone will know.

The connection for the power supply has been updated now for Apple devices. Mrs Mick F has a fairly new iPad and it takes a different pug thingy than our iPhones. No doubt the iPhone you've picked up may be like that.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 4:17pm I thought the slot on the bottom was the same as mine but on examination, it isn't. It looks a bit like a usb, but not one of a size I'm familar with
Mick F wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 4:30pm The connection for the power supply has been updated now for Apple devices.
Current (!) iPhones have a Lightning connector:

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tangentially, aren't all devices going to use USB C in the not-too-distant?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 4:35pm Tangentially, aren't all devices going to use USB C in the not-too-distant?
The European Commission has proposed that... we're waiting to see what happens.
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... ip_21_4613

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bonefishblues wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 4:35pm Tangentially, aren't all devices going to use USB C in the not-too-distant?
The EU would want that - I'm not convinced.

My "emergency" page looks a bit different from that posted above, but does still have an emergency contacts link behind it.

I know you're an ex copper, but when calling an emergency contact... all you know is that you've found the phone...

If it says emergency call then it could be an android device (and they all look about the same nowadays) - that still shouldn't call 999 directly, it should offer you a dial pad, with other options around.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 4:10pm Do you have a charger that will fit it?

Even if you can't answer a call if it's an iPhone the owner will be able to find your house...
Good advice.

Jonathan