Pegasus spying on your private life?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Pegasus spying on your private life?

Post by reohn2 »

Last edited by reohn2 on 26 Nov 2021, 12:12pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Re: Be afraid,be very afraid

Post by Bonefishblues »

I find it hard to get past the person and the presentation to the message, I must confess. My failing, I guess.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:26am I find it hard to get past the person and the presentation to the message, I must confess. My failing, I guess.
Why?
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It helps me if a bit of narrative can be posted in addition to URLs to videos. Description or opinion. : - )

(I don't mind so much with links to text because I can read that at my own rate.)

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Apple are suing the creators of Pegasus:
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/11/ ... d-spyware/

"Apple today filed a lawsuit against NSO Group and its parent company to hold it accountable for the surveillance and targeting of Apple users. The complaint provides new information on how NSO Group infected victims’ devices with its Pegasus spyware. To prevent further abuse and harm to its users, Apple is also seeking a permanent injunction to ban NSO Group from using any Apple software, services, or devices.

"Apple commends groups like the Citizen Lab and Amnesty Tech for their groundbreaking work to identify cybersurveillance abuses and help protect victims. To further strengthen efforts like these, Apple will be contributing $10 million, as well as any damages from the lawsuit, to organizations pursuing cybersurveillance research and advocacy."

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:32am
Bonefishblues wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:26am I find it hard to get past the person and the presentation to the message, I must confess. My failing, I guess.
Why?
I'm capable of absorbing a message (least I think I am) without added effects, and rather badly chosen ones at that.

'Ooh, there's a nuclear explosion - must be serious, I guess I'd better listen', I suppose is what it's designed to elicit? For me it's an annoyance and distraction, I must confess.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Boney
OK

Jdsk
I thought one could listen at their leisure or dismiss as the case may be,but I take your point
EDIT:- i've ammended the title if it helps.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Re: Pegasus spying on your private life?

Post by Jdsk »

It does. A lot.

Thanks

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Can't stand unnecessary videos as a form of communication full stop if I'm honest, rather have something to be able to read/scan through.

That said, as far as this goes, feel like I've maybe heard of this before, or perhaps similar. Morally dubious companies flogging zero day exploits and/or software toolkits using them to governments of countries with dubious human rights records (do we count as one of those yet? :? ) isn't that new.

Interesting that from a bit of searching iOS appears far more vulnerable to this particular one. Not sure if that's a function of the operating system or the devices favoured by the targeted users.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Stevek76 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 2:14pm Can't stand unnecessary videos as a form of communication full stop if I'm honest, rather have something to be able to read/scan through.
(Off-thread-uopic) likewise e.g. when I'm looking for things like "how to" (e.g. how to configure a SAMBA server under Ubuntu or how to set colour temperature in Photoshop, etc.) I only want text as in step 1 (ideally "copy the command below changing xxx to ..."), step 2 and don't bother with the same info in video on youtube (where you have to waste time watching the presenter asking you to subscribe, some intro message/title, some dingy music, hard to read screen recordings where you have to pause to write down the command sequence ...

Ian
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I've noticed Google search will now return YouTube vids with the specific timestamp that appeared relevant which is quite handy!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Gosh, are they? That's useful because perhaps they can tell me where I left my multi-tool. Can't find it anywhere :-(
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

cycle tramp wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 2:43pm Gosh, are they? That's useful because perhaps they can tell me where I left my multi-tool. Can't find it anywhere :-(
Here you go

https://youtu.be/WfCBeA77jYE

:D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ok chaps I get the message.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 2:50pm
cycle tramp wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 2:43pm Gosh, are they? That's useful because perhaps they can tell me where I left my multi-tool. Can't find it anywhere
Here you go

https://youtu.be/WfCBeA77jYE
That doesn't mention this technique:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.108 ... 011.647039

: - )

Jonathan