Cumbria Gin!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Cumbria Gin!

Post by Tangled Metal »

We're on safer ground discussing Cumbrian gin. There's distilleries being set up all over Cumbria but Ulverston seems to be a hotspot. Shed 1, herdwick distillery, etc. Then there's been decades of sloe gin being made in Cumbria.

Anyone got a favourite Cumbrian gin to recommend? If you're ever in Pooley Bridge then there's a little store there with a big selection. They also do those small gin sample sized bottles of lots of gin.

Has anyone else noticed that Cumbria has become a hotspot of artisan food and drink?
Paulatic

Re: Cumbria Gin!

Post by Paulatic »

The Gin in Cumbria has passed me by obviously I didn’t think it was more prevalent there than anywhere else.
Two things I link with Cumbria are sausage obviously and Damsons and associated products. I still haven’t been to the Lyth valley in blossom time. I have been to the marmalade festival, Dalemain, though so there’s a third thing.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Any non peppered pasties on sale that Mick F might like?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Herdwick, lakes, shed1, bedrock and Tirril gins. Just the ones I heard of recently.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a cafe called two sisters near Plumgarths roundabout on m the North end of kendal bypass. It has a store next door selling local alcoholic drinks, biscuits, sausages, bacon, etc.

Then there's a few artisan bakers around. There's a well regarded village bakery whose name escapes me, staff of life bakery just to name two. There's local producers of salt Marsh lamb, rare breeds farmers and butchers. This game butchers too.

Then you have an amazing record of Michelin starred restaurants considering its not a big city. A really good food county. Then we've got Yorkshire next door which also good for m food.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

What is an artesian baker?Is like a craft brewer ie pretentious?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mumbojumbo wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 8:31pm What is an artesian baker?
One that's working under a lot of pressure?

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

Tangled Metal wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 5:49pm

Has anyone else noticed that Cumbria has become a hotspot of artisan food and drink?
It's certainly a hotspot but not for food. :twisted: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

What a load of flim flam!

Heres how you do it :-

Buy some pure corn spirit

Add your chosen 'botanicals'

Redistill it to add a flavour and eliminate solids

Heres your local gin....

Right then, Cumbria Gin move over I'm off to make some Somerset Gin!

Thinks....shall I bung in a bit of cheddar and cider? :lol:

Al

https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/guides/gi ... otanicals/
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

https://guide.michelin.com/gb/en/articl ... elin-stars

Then there's the usual 4th or 5th generation sausage makers!