Heat in the home

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

My central heating is set for what range?

I don't have central heating
13%
below 18
37%
18-20
38%
21-22
3%
23-25
3%
25-plus
5%

Total votes: 60

rjb

Re: Heat in the home

Post by rjb »

It's probably sending the data it collects back to China. They're watching you Mick. Have you covered up the hidden camera. :shock: make a note to myself to check on tick tock. How's your clock?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 2:00pm It's probably sending the data it collects back to China. They're watching you Mick. Have you covered up the hidden camera. :shock: make a note to myself to check on tick tock. How's your clock?
:lol: :lol:

Clock?
The one with an intermittent fault?
Sorted now thank you, but it gains terribly when wound up, and loses a few days later.
I wind our clocks on a Saturday morning, and it's five minutes fast at the moment, despite my moving it back on Sunday and yesterday. I'll put it back a minute or two shortly, but it'll be fast again tomorrow. By Thursday it'll keep good time.

Meanwhile ........ as we're talking clocks ............ I have the clock that Mrs Mick F's mum and dad were given for a wedding present in the early 50s. Just a nice mantle clock, and I remember it when me and Mrs Mick F were courting. :D

The spring broke, so they bought a new modern battery thing. I took the old clock off their hands and repaired the spring. I offered it back to them, but although they accepted it, it never went back on the mantle-piece.

Fast forward some decades and we now have the clock. Ticked well and I wound it up ok. Forgot about for decades.
The other day, I decided to wind it up and get it going. Nothing.

Took the back off, to find the balance wheel unshipped and the hair-spring dangling.
Yet to rescue it. It's on the back-burner as one of those jobs to do when the "time is right".
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 2:24pm
rjb wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 2:00pm It's probably sending the data it collects back to China. They're watching you Mick. Have you covered up the hidden camera. :shock: make a note to myself to check on tick tock. How's your clock?
:lol: :lol:

Clock?
The one with an intermittent fault?
Sorted now thank you, but it gains terribly when wound up, and loses a few days later.
pretty sure most clocks lose 24 hours a day when they aren't wound :lol: :roll:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

pwa wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 6:31am ....makes it crystal clear again. One of the selling points of Clearview stoves.
Yup...our Clearview Pioneer 400, hard to beat

Airwash system. Works well with Aldi smokeless fuel too.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Mick F wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 1:51pm The unit came from London.
The seller could be any nationality. All I know, is that it came by Hermes from London.
Had it been coming from China, I wouldn't have bothered.
Ordered on Thursday, arrived on Monday.

8degC outside (north facing on the outside wall of the porch) and 19degC in here. Fire not lit, no heating on.
I bought my inside/outside thermometer from tchibo - sadly they closed. The stock changed every week - always interesting stuff.
The thermometer has been giving good service about twenty years - just change batteries.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

It may very well have been posted in London Mick F but you request to return it, the seller's registered address is in Hong Kong so that's where you'd have to send it to!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ash.
Excellent firewood.

Fallen tree, not from the weather or Ash Dieback, but from deer? eating the bark all the way round.
Killed it dead and it uprooted and laid down.

Chainsawed up by your's truly.
IMG_0934.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Wildlife needs dead trees to be left where they die and not have their CO2 put back into the atmosphere!

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.

Loads of it up in the woods all around. Acres and acres and acres and acres of it.
Our's is a very small section of the valley woodland. Only an acre, and we have rotten fallen trees there, plus lots of stuff fallen from the trees just lying there decaying.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 4:48pm Ash.
Excellent firewood.

Fallen tree, not from the weather or Ash Dieback, but from deer? eating the bark all the way round.

Chainsawed up by your's truly.IMG_0934.jpg
Why don't you wiegh one round, the big one furthest from the stove then split it open and leave it by the stove for 2 weeks.
Then wiegh it again.
Do it right this time, leave it until it's wieght it pretty stable.

Then you'll see how much moisture you are constantly putting inside the "damp and mouldy" house!!
Even with dead wood freshly harvested.

And Ash IS low water content, which is the main reason it's considered good fuel wood.
Only 33% odd wieght of water- some woods are double that.

But dried, many make others fine fuel, even better than Ash perhaps.

I like "nasty, sticky, wet and soggy" Pine woods.
Sitka is particularly fine for cooking on.
But most are excellent fuel.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 7:13pm
Mick F wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 4:48pm Ash.
Excellent firewood.

Chainsawed up by your's truly.IMG_0934.jpg
Why don't you wiegh one round, the big one furthest from the stove then split it open and leave it by the stove for 2 weeks.
Then wiegh it again.

Then you'll see how much moisture you are constantly putting inside the "damp and mouldy" house!!
Yes, do the experiment.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 7:13pm Why don't you wiegh one round, the big one furthest from the stove then split it open and leave it by the stove for 2 weeks.
Then wiegh it again.
Where do you think the moisture goes with wood sitting on the hearth or on the top of the stove?
As the tree was dead (and had been for months (even maybe a year) and only fell over due to the winds.
I had sprayed it in grey primer (cheap) to mark it for felling, like I have done with a few others, but nature did it for me.
Cut it up into pieces only a few days ago.
The damp stuff is moss, not the wood, but I take your point about drying for a while ................ but I won't bother.

There's a load of dead birch up there too. Mostly cut up, and some of it split and already consumed, but there must be six or eight barrow-loads there to bring down ................ then there's another dead birch, and a dead sycamore, and a dead oak, plus lots and lots of various branches blown down.

The willows, I leave where they land and let them rot. Pointless firewood IMHO.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 9:14am
PDQ Mobile wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 7:13pm Why don't you wiegh one round, the big one furthest from the stove then split it open and leave it by the stove for 2 weeks.
Then wiegh it again.
Where do you think the moisture goes with wood sitting on the hearth or on the top of the stove?
I think the idea is that once you've done the experiment to see how wet the wood is that you'll then dry it outside.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 9:14am ....
The damp stuff is moss, not the wood, but I take your point about drying for a while ................ but I won't bother.
Which really "says it all". Concerns about damage to the ecology and environment, pollution, climate pollution, nothing seems to even prompt a think about behaviour.

Ian
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick^^

The moisture goes into the house of course, raises the humidity and then causes damp and condensation in the cold spots and corners.
It's bad for you and the structure of the house.

I understand though that at the moment, where you and I have super high atmospheric moisture levels (here it's super saturated), that drying outside is difficult.
That will change though. Next week with luck!
A dry easterly will lift moisture out of stacked wood well and quite fast.
Even covered wood stacked through the dry sunny periods of summer will regain some moisture in conditions like these present ones. Moisture is in every outbuilding.

But straight in from the woods, even dead and warmed by the stove you are putting a lot of unnecessary water into the interior space of the house.
Indeed dead wood may well give off more moisture than live in that initial drying ((say24 hours) by the fire- to do with the cells walls in the wood.

We've been here before!

But by weighing it you would see just how much water.
It's like emptying a large saucepan over the carpets every day.
In such a damp place as the SW a reduction in internal humidity is desirable IMV.

But hey Mick, if the system suits you and you like it that way .......

I want, because it is my only heat and cooking source, a constant, ready stock of seasoned wood.
There ready in all weathers all the time.
I want to be able to get kindling from the stacks, for fires to light fast and burn hot and clean (as possible) every single time.
And perhaps most of all I want to reduce the amount of wood, and hence labour, I use anually to provide a cosy, dry, low carbon house.
Dry fuel is also lighter to carry indoors.

I process in largish amounts when practicable.
Use almost anything. Willow is good!!
Always try to harvest and stack in dry conditions, though I harvest thoughout the year as and when.
I enjoy the work in the forest etc.
And I am "tooled" up.

It's an old house. Insulation is ok but not perfect, old doors and stone walls etc.
But it's lovely and dry.