Wrigleys

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Wrigleys

Post by philvantwo »

Not had any since I was a kid, but is this stuff still made in Plymouth?
rjb

Re: Wrigleys

Post by rjb »

philvantwo wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 12:21pm Not had any since I was a kid, but is this stuff still made in Plymouth?
Google says it's still there but now owned by Mars. Farley's Rusks were also made in Plymouth, there was a factory in Peverill near my school. Sales plummeted after their was an exposé about the high salt or was it sugar content. A staple food for lots of infants at the time. They only survived by selling out to Heinz.
Last edited by rjb on 27 Nov 2021, 1:47pm, edited 2 times in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

google search

What happened to Wrigleys chewing gum?
Image result for wrigleys chewing gum uk
Mars has teamed up with Warren Buffett, the world's richest man, to buy US chewing gum manufacturer Wrigley for $23bn (£11.6bn). Wm Wrigley Jr Co, which launched its Spearmint and Juicy Fruit gums in the 1890s, announced today that it has agreed to be taken over by Mars.28 Apr 2008

Malc

I dont use it so had not noticed if it was still about. Made me think I hadn't seen it for ages.
no idea where it's made
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

had a quick chat with "Alexa" apparently its made in China
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

If you're riding the 'Plym Ridge Ride' XC/downhill trail in Plymbridge woods, when you get to the highest point on the red run, before the final section of steep berms, you'll be in a rather nice fog of cloves and cinnamon if the wind is blowing in the right direction. If you look over the hedge at this point, the Wrigleys factory and lorry park is your clue as to where its coming from.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/plymbr ... dge-ride-

It's on Google Maps, but you can see the factory in relation to Plymbridge woods on the National Trust map. It's the large grey building located at 5 o'clock in relation to the roundabout:

https://nt.global.ssl.fastly.net/docume ... -woods.pdf
rjb

Post by rjb »

Dad worked at the Tecalamit factory at Plymbridge retiring when it went downhill into decline in the late 1970's. Who owns it now. Siebe acquired it at one point but I'm glad to see it's back in business again.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Friend of mine had Mr Wrigleys' 1950's Cadillac. He restored it, it had a stainless steel roof. Only a couple of hundred were made and 'the brat pack' all had them.
He sold it to an Arab prince, who wanted to pay by bank transfer. He insisted on cash and a minion turned up with a metal suitcase full of cash handcuffed on his wrist. The deal was done and the car was driven off to Heathrow where it was put on board the buyers 747 and whisked off. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wrigleys.
Estover, Plymouth.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.41650 ... 384!8i8192

That's why there's so much chewing gum on the pavements and roads in Plymouth.
Those dots are chewing gum.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.36979 ... 384!8i8192
Mick F. Cornwall