Meter Scales

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Meter Scales

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 4:38pmI thought the system of ships' bells involved know what part of the day it was (although I get seasick on dry land)
The pattern repeats every 4h. And that's the same as the Navy's watch pattern so that you'll know which watch it is anyway.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 9:47am Your car has a telephone preference service?

Most cars I've driven don't let you put rear foglights on without the fronts being on (if they exist)
TPS is Tyre Pressure System.
A warning light comes on if it detects a tyre pressure is low.
The reset button is very very inaccessible right under the front internal trim below the steering wheel. It's a crappy plastic housing that bends when the button is pressed .............. if you can find it.

This is the first car we have EVER owned that the front foglights have to be on before the rears can come on. Always had separate switches on the others.

The issue with this, is that if you are the rear car in a line going along, and you can't see far enough behind to see if there's a following vehicle, you can put your rear foglights on. However, if you do, you have to dazzle the car in front because you have to put for front foglights on!

Remember the Highway Code on the matter about not dazzling other car drivers with your lights?
Same thing, if you have car behind you, turn off your rear foglight!
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ah - I've only ever heard them referred to as TPMS (Type Pressure Monitoring System).

Fog lights are only for use in conditions of very low visibility...
And if the visibility is poor enough to need them to the rear then it's poor enough that you won't be dazzling the person in front of you.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 11:47amThis is the first car we have EVER owned that the front foglights have to be on before the rears can come on. Always had separate switches on the others.
Is there a ring switch on a stalk for the rear fog lights only?

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 11:47am The issue with this, is that if you are the rear car in a line going along, and you can't see far enough behind to see if there's a following vehicle, you can put your rear foglights on. However, if you do, you have to dazzle the car in front because you have to put for front foglights on!

Remember the Highway Code on the matter about not dazzling other car drivers with your lights?
[XAP]Bob wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 12:54pmFog lights are only for use in conditions of very low visibility...
And if the visibility is poor enough to need them to the rear then it's poor enough that you won't be dazzling the person in front of you.
And you don't "have to dazzle the car in front". Dropping back can help.

Jonathan
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 12:57pm
Mick F wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 11:47am The issue with this, is that if you are the rear car in a line going along, and you can't see far enough behind to see if there's a following vehicle, you can put your rear foglights on. However, if you do, you have to dazzle the car in front because you have to put for front foglights on!

[XAP]Bob wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 12:54pmFog lights are only for use in conditions of very low visibility...

Jonathan
But in thick fog you have to stick close to the car in front to see where you're going.....
Richard M
Cardiff
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AIUI, motor vehicle manufacturers fit light switches which physically prevent the driver using an illegal combination of lights.

Some do pick daft places to fit minor switches and they all seem to go for their own unique style of switch.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 12:54pm Ah - I've only ever heard them referred to as TPMS (Type Pressure Monitoring System).
Just looking at the handbook, and the button isn't called anything, but the book refers (all lower case) the tyre pressure warning system.

I have noticed, seeing as we're talking of tyre pressures ........... that the pressures should be set when "cold" ................. but the temperature of "cold" isn't mentioned. :lol:

Seen over the past few winters, that the TP(w)S light will come on when the temp is zero or thereabouts on a frosty morning. Drive to town to the supermarket, park in the sunshine for an hour, and the light will be out when we drive away again.

As for rear and front fog lights, it's VERY annoying to be following or in front in full view of the traffic behind or in front, that drivers have their fog lights on. It's bad enough being at traffic lights with drivers keeping their footbrake on and not setting the handbrake and shifting to neutral. :shock:

All lighting should be used with due respect to other road users.
Let's not discuss cyclists with hyper-bright front lights aligned horizontally and blinding pedestrians and divers eh? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

My car will keep the brake lights on even with my foot off the pedal...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not so confident of my memory as I used to be but the only vehicles I remember driving which had brake lights operated by the handbrake were Morris J4 vans in the late 1960s
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

richardfm wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 1:26pm
Jdsk wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 12:57pm

Jonathan
But in thick fog you have to stick close to the car in front to see where you're going.....

That only works if you have a set of cars going in circles... the lead car can see where they are going, so can anyone else following.