Meter Scales

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: Meter Scales

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 2:24pm Look at this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174724201574 ... BMlJj12q5f
I obviously did look at it because when I went to Ebay this morning there were a number of thermometers offering themselves to me.
The first thing that became obvious was scales , other than -50>+50, are available.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, there are of course.
They are all, without exception, far too wide a range for normal domestic use.
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

661-Pete wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 5:38pm Yes, I've long been puzzled at the absurdity of all this. My car's speedo (also a needle-and-dial type) goes up to 160mph. Half of that range totally wasted! Is it to dupe prospective buyers of the said motor into thinking they might attain such a speed?
My cars goes up to 170mph,it will top 140mph but it has the same dash unit as the 'fast' model which will do around 160mph.Most cars will share the unit with other models in the range so the units generally go up to 120 or 140mph.It saves the manufacturers money not having to have a separate unit for every single model it makes.
Most Super sport bikes have digital read outs now to curb those trying to hit the top speed.A bit silly really when most are restricted to 189mph so we still have a number to aim for :roll:
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

It sounds as though Toyota have gone backwards with the Yaris display. Ours, 2008, has a digital readout. No problem at all seeing the large numbers even in bright sunlight.
Not that accurate, as with all cars they over read your speed.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Backwards?
Probably, but the issue is really that technology has moved on, and the law regarding speedometers has not.
The law states that a speedo MUST NOT under-read, but has to be within 10% of correct.
No reason on God's Earth in this day and age that the speedo shouldn't be anything other than spot on.

Can't be bothered to go out and photograph our dashboard, but here's a screenshot of the handbook.
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 16.18.20.png
Much of that are complete lies.
The speedo does not show the vehicle speed ............ as discussed.
The fuel gauge is terrible. Fill up and it shows full and remains like that for miles and miles, and only slowly drops to half. From then on it drops like a stone.
The time can only be shown in 12hr format.
I believe that the odometer reads Km rather than miles, you get a 24hr clock display.

Superb car to drive, but very badly designed internally. It's a devil to park and reverse as the views out of the windows is/are terrible. The turning circle is abysmal and embarrassing. Worst car we've ever owned in those regards.

Lots of other issues and comments to make, but way off topic, as much of my diatribe is already! :oops:

Buy another?
Personally, I'm not sure, but Mrs Mick F likes the way it drives .......... as I do too ............ it's the other stuff that gets right up my nose.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Does that
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 2 Dec 2021, 4:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Wrong correlation! Whoops
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

francovendee wrote: 2 Dec 2021, 2:08pm It sounds as though Toyota have gone backwards with the Yaris display. Ours, 2008, has a digital readout. No problem at all seeing the large numbers even in bright sunlight.
Not that accurate, as with all cars they over read your speed.
As I mentioned above our Oct 99 Yaris had the clear digital display, but that caused a backlash from "motoring journalists." Within months there was a sporty version - I cannot remember the name of the model - with a spoiler, different wheels and a traditional speedo. In 2010 I bought a 10 reg diesel Yaris without really paying much attention in the showroom. It had the traditional speedo. The biggest downside I'd missed without looking carefully was that the arrangement of the back seat had changed for the worse in terms of convenience.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This could turn into a Yaris thread!

Design issues ...... in no particular order.
I put a list together some time back.
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 19.10.43.png
Please ask me to amplify and explain the points if you want.
I could go on for ages! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Your car has a telephone preference service?

Most cars I've driven don't let you put rear foglights on without the fronts being on (if they exist)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Mick F wrote: 2 Dec 2021, 4:31pm The time can only be shown in 12hr format.
I believe that the odometer reads Km rather than miles, you get a 24hr clock display.
Time:-are you sure you can't change it in the settings?
Odometer Miles/KM should also be able to change.
My last three cars,all Insignias have both analogue and digital speedos.If I go into settings to change the readout to KMs the odeometer also reads KMs.
My wifes Adam is the same.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Why would anybody want a 24hr clock in their car? Surely anybody would know if its 8am or 8pm?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mmmm

I thought the system of ships' bells involved know what part of the day it was (although I get seasick on dry land)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

philvantwo wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 4:19pm Why would anybody want a 24hr clock in their car? Surely anybody would know if its 8am or 8pm?
I prefer it - having had years of using it - it's the way I think.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 5:28pm
philvantwo wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 4:19pm Why would anybody want a 24hr clock in their car? Surely anybody would know if its 8am or 8pm?
I prefer it - having had years of using it - it's the way I think.
Me too. I usually know which half of the day it is, but mental arithmetic is easier with a 24 hr display.

Jonathan