Winter motivation!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

Re: Winter motivation!

Post by peetee »

gbnz wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:02am
Walking 6-12 miles a day isn't the same. But a forecast of 3-4 days torrential rain isn't enticing!
Keep at it. That’s a good distance.
This time last year was the start of a three month absence from the bike for me. I kept fresh by walking every day. Not huge distances; 5 to 7 miles, usually but I returned to cycling feeling really good. In comparison the last few months have seen me ride two to three times a week on average and although I have done some walking, swimming and badminton in between, when I do ride it feels like relatively hard work.
I reckon getting out every day was the key move for me.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've never riden in the dark for fun. I live in a countryside village, rat runs with speeding cars both days, all three roads out of the village. I really need to exercise but it's nearly 9pm before I'm free from family commitments. Turbo never worked for me. C2 rower is folded in the living room. Weights only get used by my partner in the days, resistant bands in their bag.

Nearest gym is 38 minutes ride away according to Google maps, load of rubbish. It's a small village hall gym so not very good. Kendal has a few bigger gyms but half hour drive. 24 hour access but not staffed from about 6pm.

I guess it explains why there's a lot of joggers in the village. Cyclists too but they get very scarce this time of year.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

peetee wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 12:00pm
gbnz wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:02am
Walking 6-12 miles a day isn't the same. But a forecast of 3-4 days torrential rain isn't enticing!
Keep at it. That’s a good distance.
This time last year was the start of a three month absence from the bike for me. I kept fresh by walking every day. Not huge distances; 5 to 7 miles, usually but I returned to cycling feeling really good. In comparison the last few months have seen me ride two to three times a week on average and although I have done some walking, swimming and badminton in between, when I do ride it feels like relatively hard work.
I reckon getting out every day was the key move for me.
Oh thanks, I've the time and it's pretty straightforward. Only issue is that summer hiking boots only last 9 months max (Nb. On the 5th pair in 3.25 yr's now, bit of a cost.

Though seriously need to get the gym workouts back up to speed; covid lockdowns & bans have seriously hit the routine. Seriously need to get back to an hour a day, prior to Christmas - makes a difference on the bike!