Winter motivation!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Winter motivation!

Post by gbnz »

I'm aware of "winter miles, summer smiles" !

But how does one keep cycling in the winter? Think it's been a full 23 days since I've been on the bike! Torrential gales, heavy rain, core roads I use blocked by trees and cables for several days have blocked the motivation. Thought stripping the bike down, rebuilding it would help - but cycling along local roads, 3-4" deep in farmers excrement, hasn't been enticing!

Normally use a gym. And will again force myself today, though gym issues are even blocking motivation there!

Walking 6-12 miles a day isn't the same. But a forecast of 3-4 days torrential rain isn't enticing!
Pebble

Re: Winter motivation!

Post by Pebble »

A few downed trees and a bit of snow aint going to stop me - in fact I think I love the winter cycling more than the summer - from just after the big storm last week

This took some negotiating

think these high up trees have seen a storm or two in their time

just wonderful

Looking north to the Lammamuirs

Snow clouds moving in

More roads blocked

Needed to walk the tram lines, my road was the other side of the wall

Getting cold as the sun goes down

Thats the snow on. - the next ew mile in the dark were testing
Last edited by Pebble on 5 Dec 2021, 9:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I know the feeling but to me it is mostly an initial barrier to overcome (I now know I will enjoy it if I just get out there) a different target to set yourself (coming back dry and invigorated having ridden in driving cold rain always feels like a significant achievement) and a chance to experiment with choice of clothing (chemical foot warmers are ace - see thread on cold feet).

Having said that I do tend to take shorter rides and avoid the very worst weather, the truly miserable, long rides can be demoralising.

I have also tried to master weather timing. That howling cold front will be followed by at least an hours dryness before the showers set in so I have the bike set up ready to go as soon as the rain stops.

PS riding a recumbent does help, headwinds aren't an issue and your feet always stay dry :)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

gbnz wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:02am I'm aware of "winter miles, summer smiles" !

But how does one keep cycling in the winter? Think it's been a full 23 days since I've been on the bike! Torrential gales, heavy rain, core roads I use blocked by trees and cables for several days have blocked the motivation. Thought stripping the bike down, rebuilding it would help - but cycling along local roads, 3-4" deep in farmers excrement, hasn't been enticing!

Normally use a gym. And will again force myself today, though gym issues are even blocking motivation there!

Walking 6-12 miles a day isn't the same. But a forecast of 3-4 days torrential rain isn't enticing!
I manage to ride two or three times a week in winter - I don't ride if there is a risk of ice - I might walk instead.
I've also gone back to using the gym after having my booster shot.
I'll ride in light rain but not heavy rain.
I could use the turbo in extremis :(
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

If there is a nice day will go for a ride , otherwise a Zwift session keeps the fitness up.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Stradageek wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:23am
I have also tried to master weather timing. That howling cold front will be followed by at least an hours dryness before the showers set in so I have the bike set up ready to go as soon as the rain stops.
On wet changeable days I watch the live rainfall radar
www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/obs ... &lat=55.53
then I can hopefully maximise the dry bits with a start as soon as the rain clears
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Indoor bike/Zwift.
Peloton are doing 2 months free so I sometimes run Zwift and Peloton together on my bikes monitor via Apple TV.Makes it feel like a spin session at home :mrgreen:
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Pebble wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:22am A few downed trees and a bit of snow aint going to stop me - in fact I think I love the winter cycling more than the summer - from just after the big storm last week
Nice pictures, must be just 50-60 miles North of me. Never had an issue in the past, but 11 months returning to an unheated temporary flat doesn't help (11.5 degree's indoors the past couple of weeks)

Never mind, 60 minute spin at the gym, walk this afternoon, then who knows, back on the bike IF it dries up some time in the next week!
Last edited by gbnz on 5 Dec 2021, 11:40am, edited 1 time in total.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Stradageek wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:23am I know the feeling but to me it is mostly an initial barrier to overcome (I now know I will enjoy it if I just get out there)
+ 1. Very close yesterday, but 3-4 hour walk instead. Will try and get the bike back on the road this week!
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

gbnz wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 11:35am
Pebble wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:22am A few downed trees and a bit of snow aint going to stop me - in fact I think I love the winter cycling more than the summer - from just after the big storm last week
Nice pictures, must be just 50-60 miles North of me. Never had an issue in the past, but 11 months returning to an unheated temporary flat doesn't help (11.5 degree's indoors the past couple of weeks)

Never mind, 60 minute spin at the gym, walk this afternoon, then who knows, back on the bike IF it dries up some time in the next week!
I would struggle with that too, don't mind long cold days on the road but need a big hot dinner followed by toasting myself in front of a big open fire to get my batteries recharged.

Heading out now for a few hours now, its cold +2, but dry and little wind, even the roads are dry, hopefully all the roads will be passable, althogh seeing trees lying across the road is starting to fell normal.
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Not riding much. Every farmer appears to be either muck spreading, ploughing or hedge flailing. The roads are pretty awkward just now, and I feel a scared cat.
Oh yes....and a bit of wild weather about
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

ANTONISH wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:54am I manage to ride two or three times a week in winter - I don't ride if there is a risk of ice - I might walk instead.
I've also gone back to using the gym after having my booster shot.
I'll ride in light rain but not heavy rain.
I could use the turbo in extremis :(
After the famous year when ice lingered on the roads for nearly two months I invested in a recumbent trike, also very useful on slippery roads, fallen leaves etc. The fact that trikes are a bit slower/heavier than my two wheelers just results in extra fitness for when the two wheelers can be used :D

I too tend to eschew heavy rain but I've never considered a turbo, which I guess means I'm more driven by the desire to be outdoors than the desire to be fit :wink:
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

It's been so dismal here these past few months today's the first time I've been out on the bike since early October, outrageous, and although only a pootle up and around Glenariff Forest Park some of the hills reminded me I need to get out more, my summer fitness has sadly slipped... Nice views today though
IMG_20211205_101917972.jpg
IMG_20211205_093653578.jpg
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

I ride fat bikes: just building a third, so winter is where it is at for me.

Ice is great on spikes, and if the snow gets too deep than I switch to XC skis.... :)
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

today was a hard, +2 when I set off, 0 when I got back - cold wet damp - brutal and fantastic all at the same time, 40 mile of near torture,
if only I could afford the woman with the whips and chains - lol