Chromebook disappointment

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Chromebook disappointment

Post by francovendee »

I've had my Acer Chromebook for some years, more than 5 and less than 7.
I'm disappointed to find out it won't be supported after the middle of next year.
The machine works perfectly but it won't be receiving updates as the machine is too old!
When there's a drive to reduce our carbon footprint how can this policy be defended.
It seems I can continue using it after expiry but some apps won't work and more importantly it won't get any security updates.
I have an old windows machine (10+ years) running W10 and this still gets updates.
Chromebooks are brilliant, no back ups and I can do anything I can do on the windows machine but this policy stinks.
rjb

Re: Chromebook disappointment

Post by rjb »

I've got a Lenovo android tablet which was only 2 years old when it stopped being supported. 6 years sounds pretty good in comparison, but I agree with you. Several of my apps stopped working pretty soon after the support ended and forced me down the route of replacing it. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

6y is poor.

Have you already identified your options?

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

rjb wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 8:00pm I've got a Lenovo android tablet which was only 2 years old when it stopped being supported. 6 years sounds pretty good in comparison, but I agree with you. Several of my apps stopped working pretty soon after the support ended and forced me down the route of replacing it. :(
Snap. Notionally their 'best' one in terms of spec, too.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Can you still install Linux on them? To completely wipe Chrome takes some steps that seem to differ even between models from the same manufacturer, so I hesitate to link them, but it looks like you can install Linux inside Chrome not too painfully: How to Install Linux on Chromebook [Step-by-Step Guide] – https://itsfoss.com/install-linux-chromebook/

The startup each time looks awkward but maybe it could be automated somehow, or maybe your chromebook is one that can boot directly to linux.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 8:05pm 6y is poor.

Have you already identified your options?

Jonathan
My options are,
Buy a new Chromebook.
Keep using it without the latest security and apps that stop working.
Try putting Linux on it.
I suspect I'll go with the second, at least for a while then buy a new Chromebook.
I've ruled out putting Linux on it for the reasons. I'm out of my depth trying to do this and I suspect I'd have to do back ups if I managed to do it. The machine also has very small storage.
With supposedly a drive to reduce waste why isn't this being brought to the publics attention.
My wife suggests is only tightwads like me who doesn't welcome an excuse to get a new machine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:00am
Jdsk wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 8:05pm Have you already identified your options?
My options are,
Buy a new Chromebook.
Keep using it without the latest security and apps that stop working.
Try putting Linux on it.
I suspect I'll go with the second, at least for a while then buy a new Chromebook.
I've ruled out putting Linux on it for the reasons. I'm out of my depth trying to do this and I suspect I'd have to do back ups if I managed to do it. The machine also has very small storage.
With supposedly a drive to reduce waste why isn't this being brought to the publics attention.
My wife suggests is only tightwads like me who doesn't welcome an excuse to get a new machine.
+ install CloudReady, but NB space required.

https://www.minitool.com/news/what-to-d ... -time.html
https://guide.neverware.com/install-and ... e-edition/

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Just taken a look and Cloud ready looks interesting but it needs 8GB of space. I have 4GB available but 8GB is being used by Google operating system.
My Son in Law may be able to help me but I'm concerned if somehow I managed to remove Google I'd be left without a way to get Coud Ready installed.
I think I'll end upbuying a new machine and then see what happens if I uninstall Google. If it works I've got a spare machine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Had to get a new chromebook myself because of this a few months ago.
Will watch the thread with interest, but am nervous of doing anything like installing linux.
Current new one lasts until June 2028.

Anyone thinking of getting a chromebook should check out this list of machines:

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/ans ... 69827&rd=1

for that cut-price chromebook may not be such a bargain.

I'd always go for the one with the longest date.
Sweep
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I had a little HP Chromebook which I put GalliumOS on (Chromebook-optimised Linux). It worked pretty well despite the minimal storage and memory on the machine. I largely gave up on it because I couldn't get used to the trackpad's foibles (to be honest I find any trackpad other than a MacBook difficult), but I still sometimes use it to watch Eurosport/GCN!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

by Richard Fairhurst » 8 Dec 2021, 2:39pm
I had a little HP Chromebook which I put GalliumOS
I did that for the 94 year old mother in law's Chromebook a year ago. Still working OK. I persuaded her to use a usb mouse and all was well with the funny trackpad. Installing Gallium on her machine involved a screwdriver job, installation differs according to the hardware.
Agitate, educate, organise.