what to bake for our cycle trip?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Manx Cat

what to bake for our cycle trip?

Post by Manx Cat »

well, next weekend we're off.

Rosie and I will be busy baking for a day or so.

I assume that a fruit cake tray bake might be a good idea. Or the carrot cake I printed off from the recipe thread. Ginger bread of course as it keeps well even on a warm day.

What carbo stuff do you take on distance cycling?

Oh, and any recommended fast snacks as well. was thinking about wine gums. (Im not a sweet lover and eating cake is about the easiest I can manage).

Mary
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Snacks Jelly Beans are recomended by Cycling Plus as is Malt Loaf.
If you do bake any cake I will definatly volunteer to test any you care to send :D .
Si

Post by Si »

Mrs Si's low fat, high carb, banana cake.

Dried fruit

malt loaf

cereal bars (if you can find a brand without too much sugar and fat)

several small bags of chocolate peanuts - not for refuelling but for incentive - you are only allowed to open one when you get to the day's destination.
chrisoleary

Post by chrisoleary »

Flapjack with fruit in. You'll almost pass my house so you can drop any extra off here. :wink:
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Just baked a Corned Beef and Potato Pie, ready to come out of oven now. Someone said I would make a good wife,
not sure if their meant my cleaning at work or cooking, probably taking the p**s.

This is the end result. Should fit on the Y-Frame, when I get it and enough for a double Coast to Coast crossing. :lol: :wink:
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

flapjack is great!!!

gives you loads of energy...packs away easily with no harm of crushing it...& tastes great!
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Si wrote:Mrs Si's low fat, high carb, banana cake.

This sounds like mine. Does Mrs Si put raisins and sultanas in hers?

I've never used it on a cycling trip but it worked a treat on the 'Kids 'n' Gardening Days' I used to hold in Cornwall.
Dee
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Memory jogged by the ' favourite sandwich' thread, barmbrack might be a choice especially as it has very little flour (if any, and I'm sure that you could use any type of flour) in it.

I can't lay hands on a recipe but I'm sure that Google would provide a multitude.
Dee
Si

Post by Si »

Dee Jay wrote:
Si wrote:Mrs Si's low fat, high carb, banana cake.

This sounds like mine. Does Mrs Si put raisins and sultanas in hers?

I've never used it on a cycling trip but it worked a treat on the 'Kids 'n' Gardening Days' I used to hold in Cornwall.

Oh yes, well sultanas anyway, and tons of them! It's a good fill-that-hole fuel source on cycling trips without making you eel bloated.
LANDSURFER74

Julie's flapjack rescue cake.

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

Take one box of aldi exotic fruit and nut muesli.
Melt 225gms of butter and add 75gms soft brown sugar.
Add 500gms of muesli and mix well.
Bake on a tray lined with grease proof paper for 30 mins @ 175 deg c.
Allow to cool.

THIS WHERE YOU FIND OUT THE REDUCED OAT CONTENT OF THE MUESLI HAS NOT ALLOWED THE FLAPJACK TO STICK TOGETHER!!
YOU HAVE A TRAY OF BUTTERERED, CARAMELISED "STUFF". THE CONSISTANCY OF GRAVEL !!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Enter Julie; sponge cake mixture made and flapjack "gravel" combined and baked into a brilliant fruit cake.

My daughter wants to know when i plan to cock up another tray of flapjack so she can have the waste for her baking.

:) :)