Single pannier - but which side?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

workhard wrote:Wallet has pack of leeches in it

Obvious isn't it? The pannier needs to be on the other side to the overcrowded wallet :lol:

And while we're on the subject, what is the correct collective noun for leeches anyway?
petercook80

Post by petercook80 »

I prefer the 'freestyle' single pannier use. It free's you from the Left/Right problem and allows you to express yourself fully. :!:
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Nice pictures from Nick.

workhard wrote:Is your Tesco's, like, 20 miles away? Or do you take a really, really long route to get to one?

It's 2 miles away, and yes I do. Thanks for the mini-pump suggestion.

Anyway, the pannier is now going on the right.

(1) To protect the derailleur if the bike falls over.
    (2) To encourage motorists outwards.
    (3) To allow right-handed 'lift off' standing on left of bike.
    (4) To give the left pannier a rest.
    (5) Because the spokes are further in on the right.
    (6) To allow for road camber.

Patrick
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

patricktaylor wrote:
    (1) To protect the derailleur if the bike falls over.
    (2) To encourage motorists outwards.
    (3) To allow right-handed 'lift off' standing on left of bike.
    (4) To give the left pannier a rest.
    (5) Because the spokes are further in on the right.
    (6) To allow for road camber.

That's cool. But where are you going to put the green bucket ?

[ and thanks for the kind words about the picture - we did it without panniers too - this is leaving one of the B & B's ( a real chateau no less ! ) for a gastronomique dins in the local town ]
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Really, I always enjoy seeing other cyclists in their pictures. Thanks for the latest.

Green bucket? But that's my helmet.
Shims

Re: Single pannier - but which side?

Post by Shims »

Now I am really confused...I was just looking to buy some panniers when i found this discussion...do I buy one or two? If I buy one do i dress to the left or right? At the moment I use Asdas..and a rucksack ....will that make a difference?..is there a view on front panniers?
Should i fit them to my road bike or mountain bike?

too many options..
:?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Shims wrote:too many options.. :?

Further reading, best to do so with tongue in cheek. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Unipanniarists!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Beware!
They are infesting your neighbourhood NOW! :twisted:
Mick F. Cornwall
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I have an ancient pair of green karrimores, still in good nick and if I only require one, it's the right hand one. Reason: so that I look wider on that side in the hope that car drivers give me more room. It does not alway work, so I am considering using bungees to mount a garden fork across the parrier rack, 'business' end to the right, of course.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Shims wrote:Now I am really confused...I was just looking to buy some panniers when i found this discussion...do I buy one or two? If I buy one do i dress to the left or right? At the moment I use Asdas..and a rucksack ....will that make a difference?..is there a view on front panniers?
Should i fit them to my road bike or mountain bike?

too many options..

Ah the old uns are the best. Purchase 2 and mount them both on the same side that way you keep everybody happy.

The ideal solution to the problem is the Stealth Pannier. The last I heard was the supplier to the forum had put them down and could not find them again (do a search for Stealth Pannier :lol: )
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Edwards wrote:The ideal solution to the problem is the Stealth Pannier. The last I heard was the supplier to the forum had put them down and could not find them again

It was a bit embarrasing: we made lots of stealth panniers for people on here, but never managed to find them again. The breakthrough was to stuff them with straw as they were manufactured: that way they preserved their shape nicely, and we could see where they were.

Unfortunately, Mission Control ordered a load of straw bales for the chickens, and they were placed in the same barn as the panniers .....

Nick
The Pannier Construction Company,
Patents Pending,
Lancashire.
No pasaran
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

ncutler wrote:It was a bit embarrasing: we made lots of stealth panniers for people on here, but never managed to find them again. The breakthrough was to stuff them with straw as they were manufactured: that way they preserved their shape nicely, and we could see where they were.

Unfortunately, Mission Control ordered a load of straw bales for the chickens, and they were placed in the same barn as the panniers .....

Nick
The Pannier Construction Company,
Patents Pending,
Lancashire.

At least we know the stealth properties have been properly tested in multiple situations. :roll:

We need ideas as to how to retain the stealth properties but be able to locate the panniers when needed. If a solution is not found soon this innovative British idea might not make it and disappear for ever. Just like lots of good British ideas.
Please help to solve this dilemma before it is to late, never to be seen again.
Keith Edwards
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Put 2 panniers on your bike and cycle to Tescoland, leave panniers on bike, go round Tesco with a Tesco wire basket and collect your shopping, pay for your shopping, walk to your bike, put roughly equal weights of shopping into both panniers, wheel bike to Tesco wire basket stand, deposit wire basket and cycle home.
Alternatively get yourself a Topeak combined day bag/panniers which you can carry around with a shoulder strap (supplied). Or get a Brompton with a front luggage C bag. Or a Moulton ....
jonty
dewi1

Post by dewi1 »

One pannier, always left as it doesn't get mixed up in the chain and gears. Even when heavily loaded with shopping, balance is fine.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

DaveP wrote:workhard wrote:
Wallet has pack of leeches in it

I will have to ask the wife if I am allowed to look in mine. :oops:

We would seem to have let Nick down as he still does not know how to find his panniers. :cry:
Keith Edwards