other hobbies.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
unclebaldie

Re: other hobbies.

Postby unclebaldie » 3 Jan 2019, 1:43pm

Patrickpioneer wrote:G0RBI, G4SDZ, G3YQW and myself GW0VMR, if we carry on like this we can have a net on here (HI OB)
take care
Pat
QRZ?

And G8HTW on the side, QTH Staffs.

Phil

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 3 Jan 2019, 2:25pm

I used to sail but havent done so for several years, sold the boat (yacht) a few years ago after 20 years of waterbourne fun.
Guitar and Banjo
Painting pictures in oils acrylics and watercolours. Realistic and impressionistic. Carry an A5 pad on holidays and sometimes bike rides to make quick pencil sketches to be turned into pen and wash.
Designing and making wooden furniture. Design and construction of garden buildings in green oak.
Tinkering with my VW T25 Devon Camper
Little time for hobbies now due to the Mrs becoming disabled. :(

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 3 Jan 2019, 6:48pm

One of the troubles with post-retirement hobbies, is that it's all to easy to chuck them in - especially when the menace of the Black Dog threatens to dominate and overwhelm...

I took up the astronomy - including the astro-imaging - before retirement and it did, I suppose, sustain my enthusiasm for a few years. Here is one of my favourite efforts:
M13 23Sep09 003r.jpg

Alas! my telescope is now back in England, in a box gathering dust in the spare bedroom, and I don't know when it will come out again. And ironically, they now turn off the streetlights in our neighbourhood around midnight, meaning conditions are better than they were...

About a year and a half ago I took up solving - and setting - crossword puzzles. Mixed fortunes in the latter, and I've several times considered chucking that in, too. Whatever happens, my offerings won't be in any of the national dailies any time soon! :oops:
Pete

Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?/De Meuse raines, houp! de cloques./De quelles loques ce turque coin./Et ne d'anes ni rennes,/Ecuries des curés d'Oc. - Louis d'Antin