other hobbies.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: other hobbies.

Post by kwackers »

Patrickpioneer wrote:Other than reading a great deal I make my own wireless sets from other peoples junk, my 'ham radio' call
is gw0vmr.
Pat

G0RBI
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

kwackers wrote:
G0RBI

mni tks fer ur call oc ur 599, bcnu agn sn
73 de Pat :D
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:More bad news, you should have gone below him, then you could have answered the eternal question, 'what do Scotsmen wear under their kilts?' :wink:
Maybe you don't quite get my point. That was absolutely and categorically the last thing I wanted to learn about Scotsmen, thank you very much! :lol:

Chances are he wasn't Scottish unless he'd been on a stag party the night before. More likely a visitor from across the pond.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

bogmyrtle wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:More bad news, you should have gone below him, then you could have answered the eternal question, 'what do Scotsmen wear under their kilts?' :wink:
Maybe you don't quite get my point. That was absolutely and categorically the last thing I wanted to learn about Scotsmen, thank you very much! :lol:

Chances are he wasn't Scottish unless he'd been on a stag party the night before. More likely a visitor from across the pond.

You really know how to frighten a chap don't you..... :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

The answer I give when asked what is worn under my kilt is that nothing is worn. It is all in perfect working order.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Resurrecting old topics on these fora :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

kwackers wrote:
Patrickpioneer wrote:Other than reading a great deal I make my own wireless sets from other peoples junk, my 'ham radio' call
is gw0vmr.
Pat

G0RBI
G3YQW.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
millimole

Post by millimole »

MikeF wrote:
kwackers wrote:
is gw0vmr.
Pat

G0RBI
G3YQW.
G4SDZ

I also collect (& use) old film cameras (1950s - early70s all European/Soviet)

Sketching / Drawing (badly for the most part, but it amuses me)

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
peetee

Post by peetee »

I absolutely love looking at aerial photos to try to make out evidence of structures and former use in fields, wasteland etc etc. Particularly like tracing old railway features or looking for prehistoric sites. Really looking forward to updates on Google Earth as this year has been really dry which helps enormously. Trouble is, my Google Earth has packed up! It happened as soon as it auto updated to Pro and even a reinstall hasn't solved it. Very frustrating.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

peetee wrote:I absolutely love looking at aerial photos to try to make out evidence of structures and former use in fields, wasteland etc etc. Particularly like tracing old railway features or looking for prehistoric sites. Really looking forward to updates on Google Earth as this year has been really dry which helps enormously. Trouble is, my Google Earth has packed up! It happened as soon as it auto updated to Pro and even a reinstall hasn't solved it. Very frustrating.

Mine has a similar issue - assuming yours flicks in and out of different perspectives?
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

G0RBI, G4SDZ, G3YQW and myself GW0VMR, if we carry on like this we can have a net on here (HI OB)
take care
Pat
QRZ?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Bonefishblues wrote:
peetee wrote:I absolutely love looking at aerial photos to try to make out evidence of structures and former use in fields, wasteland etc etc. Particularly like tracing old railway features or looking for prehistoric sites. Really looking forward to updates on Google Earth as this year has been really dry which helps enormously. Trouble is, my Google Earth has packed up! It happened as soon as it auto updated to Pro and even a reinstall hasn't solved it. Very frustrating.

Mine has a similar issue - assuming yours flicks in and out of different perspectives?

Bit more serious than that. It opens ok but at any random point the screen freezes and locks the whole computer up. Ctrl+alt+delete won't work and all I can do is hit the off button. Longest I have ever had it working is 20 mins.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I enjoy lots of things other than cycling. I don't know if any are rightly hobbies. Music, maybe. I've always done something musical. I play 'cello in the city symphony orchestra where I live. Other stuff I do varies somewhat.

I belong to a games club, and play various strategy games. I also play some computer games. I make up stories for my kids, and occasionally for myself. I like to read, knit, and sew. I ski and hike, and occasionally do other sorts of sporty things, like swimming or canoing. I also have Lego just for me, and have put together the Lego Death Star, and Sand Crawler. We have 3 cats, though, we might be their hobby, rather than the other way around.

I tend to have projects that vary with the season, family need, and my interests. I usually make Halloween costumes for the kids. Halloween 2018, Littlest was Squirtle (Pokemon), and MIni V was a female Joker. As both were rather complicated, I had to plan a month or so in advance to get them done.

This year, I won the American Fantasy Football League I play in. I've been playing for 8 or 9 years, and it's the second time I won. A couple of other players tend to dominate the wins, though I have mostly come in around 3rd place. I did poorly last year, though, which gave me an advantage in the draft for this year.

Over the recent holidays, I did a couple of major tidying projects, and more cooking than usual. I went skiing a couple of times, but the weather hasn't been very good for it. I tend to catch up on knitting and sewing in January, though I recently started playing Angry Birds with Littlest, which seems to take time each evening.

Edited to add: I also takes lots of photos. I go through phases where I process them, sort them etc., but most of the time, I just store them by date, and pull up something when I want/need it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

peetee wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Bit more serious than that. It opens ok but at any random point the screen freezes and locks the whole computer up. Ctrl+alt+delete won't work and all I can do is hit the off button. Longest I have ever had it working is 20 mins.

I live a bit out in the sticks and Google satellite images Streetview and maps are generally very out of date. On Streetview some of our village was last done in 2009, the rest in 2011. A couple of the pixelated people on the streets are now dead and gone. Satellite images miss out a new housing development that was commenced about three years ago.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:
peetee wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Mine has a similar issue - assuming yours flicks in and out of different perspectives?

I live a bit out in the sticks and Google satellite images Streetview and maps are generally very out of date. On Streetview some of our village was last done in 2009, the rest in 2011. A couple of the pixelated people on the streets are now dead and gone. Satellite images miss out a new housing development that was commenced about three years ago.

Slightly off topic but if anyone has any VR gear then Google Earth VR is staggeringly good.