other hobbies.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
BrianInnes

Post by BrianInnes »

Geocaching, hill walking, archery, photography (landscape, wildlife), bird watching.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

zenzinnia wrote:Photography - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenzinnia/

thanks. i especially like clifton suspension bridge too, it's got fond memories of drug fuelled university days :lol:

lauriematt wrote:dog-walking too with my black lab

numbnuts wrote:I've got a a kayak

kwackers wrote:Woodwork, model engineering, CNC,

reohn2 wrote:being a bit arty farty

come on chaps, let's have some photos.
and for the others that mentioned photography, can we have some links to your work?

Mick F wrote:Clocks.

do you mend them?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Dee Jay wrote:eta: Your chillies look wonderful, Hubgearfreak!

pm me your address, and i'll post you some spares in a month or two. like all home grown veg, they tend to come in gluts :D
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Beautiful chillies! Those pics would make a great book cover. Fab colour.

Well, I used to have a lot of hobbies. Loads of them.

Primarily I breed ducks:

Here are some....

This is Puddle, she is a muscovy duck, I had 5 females and all were brilliant broodie mums. I hatched out over 50 ducklings using these girls.

This pic is Puddle with her 24 hour old ducklings.... Khaki Campbells.

Here she is with the ducklings a bit older.

In this pic, they are older again.... I had lots of ducks, I bred them sold some as point of lay birds when they got older of course, the excess drakes... (well, they did taste good too!)...

I also sold our eggs at the gate. Always a demand for good tasty duck eggs, we had a wee stream run through there compound so they had great clean water all the time too.

Beth kept some bantams:

Here are the two boys...

My other hobby of course used to be horse riding.... I bought Mhenna as a foal in 1994. I only sold her this summer.

Here she is excelling at dressage....
This pic was taken when she was about 8 years old. She silvered out completely and lost those lovely dapples.... :(

Finally, apart from cooking, I used to knit....

I would compete at the local agricultural show wiht my knitted toys, then box them up for charity at Christmas once the children were out growing the want for knitted dollies.

These chappies won the knitted toy category as Manx Fairies! I even made a bridge and put them beneath it. (Fairy bridge on the IOM is a landmark)

Oh and of course I happen to bake as well.

But as from this year, its just cycling and baking.....

Mary

ALthough I cant help myself, I am entering the Royal Manx with a knitted Womble made last year, as the show was cancelled due to Fooot and Mouth scare.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

hubgearfreak wrote:
Mick F wrote:Clocks.

do you mend them?

I have done, though not for some years.

Ticking away in the living room, here, we have "Nana's Clock" and a "Clocking-on Clock"

My Nana and Grandad had a clock on the sideboard when I was a little-un. When they died, it was just chucked out, but I rescued it and brought it back to life. We've been married 35 years this year, and we've had it since then! Strikes the hour and the half-hour.

Also this clocking-on clock was rescued from the factory that father-in-law worked at. Broken and un-loved. Brought back to health by me in 1974! Been ticking and clunking ever since.

We've had 15 clocks ticking away in this household at one time. Such fun at midnight!!!!
Mick F. Cornwall
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Thats a beautiful time piece Mick.

do you have a cuckoo clock by any chance? Ive always fancied one of those...

Mary
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Clocks are great.

I've been making a clock on and off for a while, I've cut the gears and frames, made the spacers etc. Got the fusee to make next. I've lots of pics of the process so far - but I won't bore you with them.

It's to a design by John Wilding - you can see a picture of what it hopefully should look like by following the link below. Just need to get on with it :?

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/images/Wilding16.jpg

Here's pic of a rocking horse I was making - as you can see he had a little accident and had to be put down... (Fell off the table whilst I was painting him).

Actually he's fine now - once I'd got over my upset, I repaired his leg. He's still waiting to be painted though...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hubbers

I've got some of my 'work' on http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodj38/
Tell me what you think (I can take it)
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

MANX CAT

i love the poultry!

i use to work at a hatchery...which was great fun! hatching out chicks! we did chickens and turkeys and there the cutest things ever!!!

my friend was also into his rare breeds...and had a few muscovies and bantams

lovely birds
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

That stupid Steve Wright is back now - can't stand him!

Why do they waste my licence fee on this moron?
morris dancer

Post by morris dancer »

i dance with a side called rattlejag and i really enjoy it dancing at garden fetes, charity do s, folk festivals and sometimes at weddings
i have a veg plot in the back garden, which reminds me must get out there on Thursday and weed ( problem marestails....arghhhhhh)
the past few months my main past time seems to be decorating, moved house in nov07 and previous owners had been heavy smokers, but largish garden and space to store cycles made me oblivious to the brown walls.
oh yes and i have just joined a walking group
( when i get more time, retire/kids bigger i would like to get back to volunteering for BTCV,perhaps they could join me ?)

i think that's it
Cathy
Nerazzurri

Post by Nerazzurri »

reohn2 wrote:Hubbers

I've got some of my 'work' on http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodj38/
Tell me what you think (I can take it)

Loved your photos of Lucca and Barga - took me back :wink:
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Kwackers....

Your craftmanship is wonderful.... what a fab skill to have... to be able to carve a rocking horse.

I have a rocking horse purchased for my girls when they were babies.... I suppose cos I popped out 2 lasses that a life with horses was secured... The rocking horse was supposed to consolidate that.

Didnt work.

Girls never ever hit it off with the cuddies. :(

Hey ho.. we do spend a lot more time together on cycles now though, so its made up for it.

The beautiful rocking horse sits as decoration now in their bedroom. I cannot bring myself to sell it. Its a reminder of their baby and childhood I suppose.

Morris Dance: What is the BTCV?

Dancing is a fab way of keeping fit isnt it. I used do Manx Dance a long long long time ago. But no more sadly. (they all got a bit too serious and megga competitive for me - and I got too fat for my frock!)

Mary

Edited cos Ive just seen the clock.... Nearly fainted! That is a stunning thing.... Is it an apprentice clock by chance? My dad had an old clock similar to this under a glass dome - wasnt half as nice though.

Do you carve brass?
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

hubgearfreak wrote:
Dee Jay wrote:eta: Your chillies look wonderful, Hubgearfreak!

pm me your address, and i'll post you some spares in a month or two. like all home grown veg, they tend to come in gluts :D

Hey! Will do! That's so kind of you.

I have 2 great cook books which are devoted to chillies and I'm wracking my brains to remember the titles! (We moved recently .... and long story ....but our books are still in storage, so I can't just nip over to the bookcase and have a look!) Are you sorted for recipes?
Dee
lespaul

Post by lespaul »

Mick F wrote:
lespaul wrote:Car detailing .....

What is "car detailing"?

Mostly cleaning cars to a very high standard and machine polishing the paintwork to remove swirl marks :oops:

Example of a car I did recently

Swirls

Half the door machine polished

Car finished and wearing 3 coats of Zaino

Close up of finish

Darren