Whats the furthest you've ever cycled in a day?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Asdace wrote:
Dean wrote:160 miles - from Darlington, over the Kirkstone Pass and back home in time for tea.
Mmm, I wonder if I could get to Whitby for Fish & Chips and back home for tea, even better Kirkby Stephen.

Even better - to Scarborough for a Pacitto's lemontop, then back home for tea :D

I know you can get them at Redcar too, but it's not the same.
dodger

Post by dodger »

I think the best pasties in Cornwall are from Philps of Hayle. That's a mere 60 miles from here, but even with the lure of one of their giants I would still struggle to do it in a day.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

Longest solo camping ride - 143 across to Dover in 76 to see le Tour in Boulogne.

Longest clubrun was 156 miles in 9 hours in 1977 from Basingstoke to Brighton for breakfast, then back.

Longest ever in 24 hours was in on the upright trike - 351 miles in the 1977 Wessex '24' - completely unsupported, even stopping for a bacon and eggs fried breakfast :D

1977 was a crazy year - I also rode the South of England Cyclo Cross championships :roll:
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Dean wrote:
Asdace wrote:
Dean wrote:160 miles - from Darlington, over the Kirkstone Pass and back home in time for tea.
Mmm, I wonder if I could get to Whitby for Fish & Chips and back home for tea, even better Kirkby Stephen.

Even better - to Scarborough for a Pacitto's lemontop, then back home for tea :D

I know you can get them at Redcar too, but it's not the same.
Pacitto's, now that is a ice-cream family with some history.
I remember the Pacitto ice-cream parlour in Yarm Lane, Stockton, but only now only have one in Dovecot Street, Stockton. It's a while since I've been to Redcar, when I was there with a female rambler from Kent walking from Newcastle to Whitby. I took her to Saltburn by the Sea, walked up the coast to Redcar and ended up in the Redcar W.M.C. She loved it.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

My longest was 260 miles - home village to Gretna Green and back - with a mate - sponsored for the local Hospice.

Some years ago, the West Yorkshire DA did an annual 240 (miles) in 24 (hours) - we did it for about 11 years and I did all, but the first.

It's all Audax now, but I've not done either the 400k or the 600k- the latter, technically wouldn't be in a day because it takes most people over 24 hours.

I've never tried competition 24 hour rides, but on the strength of our 260 (mile), which took us over Fleet Moss, I'd say that 300+ on a level course would be not too much of a strain for touring lads. I would say that keepontriking's 156 in 9 - on the course he suggests - was a harder ride.

The thing is to know your way and where you're going during the hours of darkness. 2.00am, 200 miles in to a 300 mile ride when you've been awake for 16+ hours already would be a bad time to get lost.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

Mick F wrote:
Mick F wrote:80 miles a day for life?

Equals 29,200 miles a year.

Anybody done that in any one year?

If they have, Mark Beaumont's record is there for the taking :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

JohnW wrote:
The thing is to know your way and where you're going during the hours of darkness. 2.00am, 200 miles in to a 300 mile ride when you've been awake for 16+ hours already would be a bad time to get lost.

Can agree with that one, I planned my own DIY event a few years back and realised I had left myself in the middle of Norfolk lanes during in the hours of darkeness with unlit villages. Frequently the junction was just not how it looked on the map, ie not entirely a straight on but slightly offset, all that slowing down to double check certainly slows your average speed and made me rethink how I would plan another one.

Conversely I rode Bernie's long flat 600 as a solo event, and the night sections were long straight forward(ish) roads also made easier by the fact the north mids 100 event used the same roads, so I knew the route.

One section of London Edinburgh last time round, had two optional routes; a complicated lanes route or a straight forward main road, as I arrived at the start of this section in the dark, I opted for the main road route; easier navigation and probably less likely to meet to drunk drivers sneaking home from the pub.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Phil_Lee wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Mick F wrote:80 miles a day for life?

Equals 29,200 miles a year.

Anybody done that in any one year?

If they have, Mark Beaumont's record is there for the taking :D

What is the record for a year?
Could mere mortals have a go at cracking it?
Mick F. Cornwall
Dean

Post by Dean »

Mick, I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Tommy Godwin yet. He rode 200 miles a day for a year. Quite a feat. Then, to top it off,

in May 1940 after five hundred days of riding he secured the 100,000-mile (160,000 km) record as well. Godwin dismounted his bike and spent weeks learning how to walk again before going off to war in the RAF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Godwin_(cyclist_born_1912)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah.

Not for us mere mortals then!
Mick F. Cornwall
DaveLeighton

98 miles

Post by DaveLeighton »

Rode from home in Hemingbrough to Salford via a circuitous route. The intention was to do 100 mile in a day. When I got to my sisters in Salford the intention was to do a few miles more after tea around Worsley.

After a big meal and a bucket of wine, I didn't move. I regret it to this day...

I'm going to ride to Hornsea (via Beverly) and back one of these days which should be almost exactly 100 miles. It's 40 to beverly and I've done that a few times.
...above us only sky...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's always something magic about watching the mileometer changing from 99.9 to 100!

On tours too, going from 999.9 to 1000.
Mick F. Cornwall
pigman

Post by pigman »

Mick F wrote:What is the record for a year?
Could mere mortals have a go at cracking it?

next years project perhaps? Sounds like your chomping at the bit ..

Mick F wrote:Ah.

Not for us mere mortals then!

don't let it put you off .. you know you want to
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok, I admit it, I was thinking ..........

80 miles a day would be 6 to 8 hours out there. Do-able, I think, especially as it could be a record.

BUT 200 MILES A DAY????????
FOR A YEAR???????

You're joking!!

The record can stand for all I care.
Mick F. Cornwall
cyco

Post by cyco »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/saturdayliv ... 0809.shtml

There's an item about Tommy Godwin here. Doesn't mention his long distance cycling but concentrates more on the 1948 Olympics. I hope I have his enthusiasm and memory at the age of 87! (even now would be good!) It is at 19 minutes 30 secs of playback. Don't know if you need a licence :lol:
(see other thread)

Paul