Autumn

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
glueman

Autumn

Postby glueman » 22 Sep 2008, 5:42pm

Lovely season for cycling. Yesterday was balmy, today was grey with leaves on the path. Then come early mists and the first chills and lights for the end of a day out.
You don't have the same expectation as summer so every pleasant day is a bonus. All the seasons have their high points but it has to be autumn for me!

unknown

Postby unknown » 22 Sep 2008, 6:10pm

I agree, Autumns not too hot, not too cold.

Si

Postby Si » 22 Sep 2008, 6:19pm

Squirrels lobbing acorns at you and a pheasant around every corner.

glueman

Postby glueman » 22 Sep 2008, 6:22pm

Hollow lanes lined with orange leaves and fallen conkers ping like shrapnel under your wheels.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 22 Sep 2008, 7:35pm

Burglars getting stuck in once the clock goes back and there's a period of daytime darkness before people get home.

burnsie

Postby burnsie » 22 Sep 2008, 8:43pm

Had some really nice rides onto work the last few weeks...but the biggest blessing has been the relative lack of wind..seem to have been riding into strong headwinds every time I've gone out over the last few months

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 23 Sep 2008, 7:42am

...and with the wet summer it is looking like we will have some excellent autumn colour, already there are some vivid reds and oranges appearing. Recently we seem to have had late arrival of the colour changes and then it has been very poor with the leaves all dropping very quickly.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 23 Sep 2008, 8:13am

Has anyone had a frost yet?

I set off this morning in a 5 degree temperature to work, I was able to see the sun dipping out of the sea as it rose for the new day as well. That was special....

It was a very chilly morning today.

Oddly, the colder months of the year can sometimes be the most spectacular ones. Although frost in my opinion as a cyclist is near the nasty end of weather along with the wind.

Mary

patricktaylor

Re: Autumn

Postby patricktaylor » 23 Sep 2008, 8:48am

glueman wrote:Lovely season for cycling...

I agree. September and October, at least. Beautiful out in the country, and less brow-sweat riding up hills - still in shorts as well. For me, November is the worst month of the year - nothing to be said for it. I always look forward to the turning point on December 15th when, I think, the nights begin to start later again.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 23 Sep 2008, 8:53am

I like frosty mornings. But no, not had one yet, certainly had some fresh mornings.

November is usually, dark, damp and dank and quite depressing, by the same token so is January, or maybe it is post festive season gloom. Much prefer the bright frosty days we get in December and February, by which time spring is springing....... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 23 Sep 2008, 9:15am

Autumn cold damp mornings darker evenings followed by frosts - terrific,
I hate this time of year, and worsed of all you go out for a ride your wearing your entire wardrobe of cycling clothes to stay warm and some prat comes along wearing shorts and shouts lovely morning
yeah right ........

Dee Jay

Postby Dee Jay » 23 Sep 2008, 9:25am

I agree ... t'is a great season for cycling. Well, t'is a great season for everything, really!

And, yes, we have had two mild frosts already - a few days before this recent sunshine.
Dee

glueman

Postby glueman » 23 Sep 2008, 10:04am

The frosts don't seem to come as early as they used to. My perception is fallen leaves were often crunchy with cold whereas they're generally soggy now. October seemed to be bitter quite often.

Some of the best cycling weather comes in late autumn with freezing starts that turn into balmy blue days with vivid sunsets at the end. Not one for your best bike because the roads are salted but very good to be alive and riding.

Asdace

Postby Asdace » 23 Sep 2008, 11:06am

It was a cold coming home from my twilight cleaning shift around mid-night. Time to get the winter gloves on.

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 23 Sep 2008, 12:34pm

Well, I love this time of year. It's like nature takes a holiday and everything sort of slows down.
Up early tomorrow and off to Lavenham for lunch. Quiet lanes,not too hot,just perfect.

Are'nt we lucky?