Disaster Movie

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
AlanD

Disaster Movie

Post by AlanD »

If you are thinking of seeing this movie, don't bother! I took my daughter out for a birthday treat and she chose this movie, based on the trailers.
My girlfriend and I had to sit through the most awful, purile, pointless waste of time ever. I could not get out of the cinema quick enough. my gilrfriend also hated it and she told me that my daughter didn't like it either. So I'm now twenty quid lighter.
At least if you hated a meal I think you can refuse to pay. I have just shot off a complaint to the cinema to see if they are concerned about 'goodwill'

Rant over

Alan
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

It must be 30 years since I've been to a cinema, the nearest cinema in my area is about 4 miles out of town on a huge shopping complex. I don't have a car, so can't see the point. Dvd's are good enough for me.
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

I'm champing at the bit to know whether one can get a refund from the cinema on the basis of hating the film!

Keep us posted!

Incidently, I have also never refused to pay for a meal which I didn't like, either!

I am beginning to think that I am owed big-time!

Am I alone in this?
Dee
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Don't think that it's relevant but I got taken to the cinema by my wife. I wanted to see "Touching the Void" but we ended up seeing "The girl with the pearl earing" which was very dull indeed. It was a very quiet film and they put it alongside "Touching the Void" which was a loud film which you could hear. My wife considered that this spoilt her enjoyment (didn't change mine one bit....) so she complained and got two free tickets. I then went back the next day on my own to see the film I wanted to go and see :lol:
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Si

Post by Si »

Given up going to the cinema, the last few times I've been there's always been people whittering away through out the film, mobiles going off, horrible smell of cheap pop corn, etc etc

I shall stop now before it turns into a "kid's of today..." rant :wink:
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

I have joined my local independent 'arthouse' style cinema in an attempt to see more films that my family don't want to see. Or - as my daughter gets older - that my husband and son have no wish to see. And the following plan works quite well: some Saturdays my husband and son go to the football, my daughter and I either go to the cinema, or she meets up with friends and shops for a couple of hours while I see a film that wasn't made for 10 year olds/by Walt Disney!

Brilliant! Everybody's happy!

And I get all sorts of discounts with my membership: free films, discounted tickets, members advanced showings ...
Dee
TOMMY

Post by TOMMY »

seen a few poor films lately, I don't know if I'm just getting harder to please. I find myself watching and thinking well that wouldn't realy happen.
It doesn't help that the nearest cinema is 120 mile round trip
Firebird

Films

Post by Firebird »

I'm more into DVD's.

You don't have to drive to an overcrowded multiplex to watch them, you can buy your own snacks that don't require a mortgage of Mandelson proportions unlike the snacks at the real cinema, you can turn off any mobile phones in the vicinity, and you don't have some precocious little prat repeating every line to his mother and commenting on everything that's happening.

The only disadvantage is a persistent black dog vying for pole position on the big, squishy reclining chair.
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Our nearest cinema used to be a 70 mile round trip, and the fact that we are now only about 15 minutes away is one of the great unexpected bonuses of our move.

We went to see 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' on Saturday. It was OK .... not really my bag but the children loved it and if you go to the Odeon at 11.00 on Saturdays they have a really good deal: it cost us £5 for 2 grown-ups and 2 children!
Dee
Firebird

cinemas

Post by Firebird »

For really avid movie goers, Cineworld do an offer by direct debit: for £11.99 per month, you can go and see as many films as you want. You only need to see a couple of movies per month to get your money back.
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Thanks for the heads up, Firebird. I shall investigate that: seems like a good deal.
Dee
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

APple do an imovie type thingy online.

You download the movie, (pay for it of course) and for a small fee, you can watch it as often as you wish. Then, after the period of time you paid for, the movie disappears!

Great stuff.... Finally another reason NOT to own a television set.

Mary
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

I like television.

I like being online.

I like watching films at the cinema.

I don't like watching films online, on DVD or on the telly.

Is it just me?
Dee
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Dee Jay wrote:I like television.

I like being online.

I like watching films at the cinema.

I don't like watching films online, on DVD or on the telly.

Is it just me?

Nope. I dislike watching films on a tv, much prefer to see them at the cinema and I absolutely hate watching them on a computer.

Having said that I do like watching DVD's - but have a projector and screen for that to get just a bit closer to the cinema experience...
bikely-challenged

Re: Disaster Movie

Post by bikely-challenged »

Alan D wrote:If you are thinking of seeing this movie, don't bother! I took my daughter out for a birthday treat and she chose this movie, based on the trailers.
My girlfriend and I had to sit through the most awful, purile, pointless waste of time ever.
Alan

Trailers are always better than films. They show the best 30 - 60 seconds of the film. The other 1 hr and 29 minutes are just boring filler.

Same with most TV shows.
-----------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: The above constitutes my personal opinion only on any given subject. Other opinions are available.