Tomato soup recipe

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Manx Cat

Tomato soup recipe

Post by Manx Cat »

This has now come out twice and is very good indeed. I felt the need to share....

Its a home made tomato soup recipe. One I have made up, but it works well and is easy to do, low in fat and very tasty. This recipe is not vegetarian, but of course it can be altered slightly to make it so if needed.

1 Onion
2 red peppers
2 rashers of dry cured bacon (or one if its Manx as the English version I had to use was much milder).
1 beef stock cube.
2 carrots
Olive oil (1 tablespoon)
2 heaped teaspoons of garam masala
2 cans of chopped tomatoes with added herbs.

Chop up onion, peppers, carrot and bacon fry in olive oil, when hot add garam masala and the remaining ingredients, bring pan up to three quarters deep by adding water.

Simmer until the carrots are cooked.

Blend hard for about 2 minutes to puree it all.

It is the colour of proper tomato soup, but tastes fantastic. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have. Ive just made a third pot!

Mary
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Mary, I'm very tempted to try this one - I love "proper" tomato soup but I've never tried to put bacon in it. I don't often use tomatoes with herbs - I figure plain old tinned tomatoes with a good pinch of mixed herbs will do.

mind you, we've had such a good year with squashes, its squash soup all the way at the moment. I peeled four of the things today to put in the freezer - anyone who's tried to peel butternut squash will know why I have RSI on my shoulder! :(

great to eat though...

Jan

:D
DaveLeighton

Butternut Squash

Post by DaveLeighton »

As a top tip my Missus tells me that you shouldn't bother peeling them: just quarter, bake and scoop out the flesh. No RSI!!

Dave
...above us only sky...
Anura

Tomato Soup Recipe

Post by Anura »

Just remembered about this one Mary. I made it yesterday and it was super soup! As I always have to deviate from recipes I added red lentils and put a little more spice in, plus Oregano. As I couldn't be bothered cooking yesterday (haha) I made this & we had it with cheese on toast around the fire.

He who eats what I cook said it was ok, which is praise indeed. I had some more today and I will be making more of it.

Thanks for the tips Mary, keep sending them in. I still haven't made Manx Bonnag yet, which I have in a Manx recipe book.

Anne
javatime

Post by javatime »

This sounds good and I will try it soon.

The comments on the lentils reminds me of a superb soup available everywhere in Turkey, and often eaten for breakfast.

It is called Ezogelin and like all good recipes has a historic story attached concerning an unlucky bride and a wedding feast.

However the basis is tomatoes , and lentils , and bulgar wheat but the addition of both lots of mint ( can be dried) and a few chilli flakes causes a flavour explosion. It is also usually served with a squeeze of lemon too.

I will dig out the recipe if anyone is interested.
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

What a timely reminder!

I am having a(nother) 'soup making day' tomorrow as most of the family has a sore throat and we're all on soup.

Tomato soup is a favourite, and I shall use the last of the Xmas ham.

Thanks.
Dee
byegad

Post by byegad »

My recipe involves a can opener and a pan!
DaveLeighton

Ezogelin

Post by DaveLeighton »

OK, how do we make it then?
...above us only sky...
byegad

Post by byegad »

Give can, can opener and pan to Mrs byegad then go for short world tour while the air clears!
DaveLeighton

Egozelen

Post by DaveLeighton »

I've never seen a tin of Egozellan...
...above us only sky...