Above the fog today

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
patricktaylor

Above the fog today

Post by patricktaylor »

From Winter Hill looking south-ish, towards Lancashire, Cheshire, and the general direction of Wales.

paulah

Post by paulah »

must be the best pictures I've ever seen of Manchester and environs
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

I was looking over to winter Hill form Nicky Nook above Garstang - on foot . Lovely and sunny.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I believe in the "good ole days" the valleys always used to look like that, 'cept it was smoke and fug and not fog that caused the valleys to be blanketed out! :lol: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Flite

Post by Flite »

I was wondering if anywhere had actually been foggy - its been a clear bright sunny day here in the Durham Dales!
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

paulah wrote:... Manchester and environs

... which powered the industrial revolution (and let's not forget Liverpool), which powered the British Empire, which is gone but whose legacy still powers much of our prosperity.
Last edited by patricktaylor on 29 Nov 2008, 11:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulah

Post by paulah »

Very poetic, and as a manc born and bred I'll not disagree, but it still looks prettier steeped in fog. The clean air act has a lot to answer for.
paulah

Post by paulah »

paulah wrote: and as a manc born and bred*

except for the 3 irish great grandparents and the welsh one and the couple of yorkshire ones, apart from them we Hardmans are all mancunian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Great photographs!
Well captured, Patrick.

We have misty mornings down here in the valley, and from up the hill, the scene is similar but not so expansive. Also it covers up beautiful scenery, not the Lancashire Plain.
(Not that I'm saying Lancashire isn't beautiful - I'm a Lancastrian! There are some lovely parts, it's not all city centres and factories.)
Mick F. Cornwall
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Mick F wrote:Great photographs!

Thanks Mick. It's true that the south Lancashire plain is not the most picturesque part of the country but on a clear day, Winter Hill must be one of the best vantage points in England. One can see a long stretch of the Pennines, the Manchester conurbation down to Jodrell Bank, the Welsh mountains (including Snowdon), Anglesey, the Isle of Man (when it's very clear), Blackpool Tower, the Lakeland fells, and the Pendle Hill region.

Here's a 'Lancashire' picture taken from nearby and which is typical of the landscape I cycle in from home - looking North West towards the Lake District (in the distance). It could just as easily be Cornwall, I imagine. And not a mill chimney to be seen!

ncutler

Post by ncutler »

I can't imagine anywhere finer for cycling than Lancashire; we are incredibly lucky to live in the Forest of Bowland.

You can see the towns and mill chimneys if you climb the hills, they are never very far away to to South, but that's part of the attraction: the wild and desolate uplands, the rich fertile farmland, and the legacy of the industrial revolution down in the cloughs.

Nick
unknown

Re: Above the fog today

Post by unknown »

patricktaylor wrote:From Winter Hill looking south-ish, towards Lancashire, Cheshire, and the general direction of Wales.

Those photos are proper magic. Good work!
worthers

Post by worthers »

Great photos!
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Great photos, looking forward and planning to visit Lancashire next year. I must include the Forest of Bowburn enroute to Blackpool 8)
SpongeBob

Post by SpongeBob »

ncutler you are a lucky man, the Forest of Bowland is my favourite place to ride my bike, I remember the first time I got to the top of the Trough of Bowland the view took my literately breath away