Moonlit ride tonight

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Manx Cat

Moonlit ride tonight

Post by Manx Cat »

I am now taking a different commute route on teh way home. Same route to work, but going home, I now slip off up the Begoad Road.

Its brilliant. Totally black and dark. No artifical lights whatsoever cept my bike ones. Its a VERY quiet B road. Its also been unusual to meet 2 cars along its 3 mile length as I go back to the cottage.

This evening, I had my road light on full beam and my cateye flashing away... but best of all was all the moonlight. I could see everything, the cows, the sheep some cuddies grazing as I peddled home. At the top of Begoad ROad, I could see the flat still Irish Sea with the moon reflected in it, and the lights of Liverpool and further up to Blackpool.. It was ACE!

Only disappointment will be the return of Mr Jack Frost... so its the bus again for me tomorrow....

Mary
Dean

Post by Dean »

I'm quite jealous - the frost and unmelted snow in NE England has made riding during the hours of darkness a lottery.. But the moon was extraordinarily bright tonight.

Anyway, I'm currently listening to Calexico and dreaming of warmer climes.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Beautiful moonlit nights, now you know why long distance audax riding can be such a wonderful experience, and why (when on quiet lanes) it is not always necessary to need a front light, only if you know a car is coming.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

shame at this time of year....thats lots of little country lanes i could use to get to work but almost definitely they would be covered in ice...

...so i settle for an almost desserted B road...which gets the occassional gritter on it
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Si

Post by Si »

Yep, I've been taking the train lately as by the time I finish (around 7) the ice is already forming :cry:
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

We have our cycling club's second 'Moon Ride' on Saturday evening. The icy conditions - even during the day, even in Devon - are a bit worrying. Although, the forecast is warmer and wetter ... I believe.
Dee
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Dee Jay wrote:We have our cycling club's second 'Moon Ride' on Saturday evening. The icy conditions - even during the day, even in Devon - are a bit worrying. Although, the forecast is warmer and wetter ... I believe.
You forgot 'windier' :lol:
"42"
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

squeaker wrote:
Dee Jay wrote:We have our cycling club's second 'Moon Ride' on Saturday evening. The icy conditions - even during the day, even in Devon - are a bit worrying. Although, the forecast is warmer and wetter ... I believe.
You forgot 'windier' :lol:

Ooooh ... don't! :twisted:
Dee
York Commuter

Lights at night

Post by York Commuter »

eileithyia

I beg to differ - lights are always needed

not so that you can see (I agree that moonlight is excellent)

But so that you can be seen

You never know what's coming around the dark corner.

Enjoy your night time rides

Stephen
A commuter since 1991 when I moved to York.
A tourer since 1992
Now a married man who spends longer in the garage repairing and building than riding!
Anura

Moonlit ride tonight

Post by Anura »

I used to cycle home from work across the Moss, on a farm track which had more pot holes than road but when the moon was out you could see the potholes as they shone. I always turned off my lights as the only traffic would be farm traffic & they were all locked up by the time I went by. Once I got back to civilization the lights were turned on again.

Sometimes when it snowed, I would be cycling along virgin snow along the track. If I fell off, it would be like slow motion.

[/i]
meic

Post by meic »

I have often enjoyed night rides with no front lights, sometimes because of flat batteries.
Rural roads are a thing of their own. I will do the 23 miles back from my parents and meet 3 cars on average. Often I will only meet one car.
I will probably be aware of that car through lights or noise more than a minute before it finds me. I certainly will have enough time to turn on lights, get off the bike and off the road etc before they get to me.
If it is another cycle, walker or animal it will not be going fast enough for us to be a danger to each other. Unless it is jumping out of the hedgerow.
Yma o Hyd
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Stop it all of you!!

I love night rides but still can't ride for weeks yet. Bah! It's only been a week and a half and I'm like a bear with a sore head already.

I did do some tinkering in the shed on the sly' but that's as far as I'll be going!

Sodding ice. :x
Si

Post by Si »

Looking forward to a moonlit ride home tomorrow night after a mince pie and mulled wine party. That's if I can brave the ice....

Anyhoo, the moon is meant to be much bigger than usual due to it being the nearest to the earth than it's been for years. think that I'll still take the lumis though.

But, yeah, riding by moonlight is great!
Remember an ice covered moonlit night ride around the forest above Ludlow - moon real bright and reflecting off the ice, hardly needed the lights at all when out of the trees...like a very spooky altered mono-chrome altered version of daylight.
meic

Post by meic »

The Forestry Commision allow cycling in the forest at will. I asked at one of their presentations about riding at night and apologised about my weird habit but asked anyway.
I was surprised at his enthusiastic response, apparently it is a common practice and the night forest is full of cyclists!
I havent met others yet but it is a VERY big forest.
Yma o Hyd
Si

Post by Si »

meic wrote:The Forestry Commision allow cycling in the forest at will. I asked at one of their presentations about riding at night and apologised about my weird habit but asked anyway.
I was surprised at his enthusiastic response, apparently it is a common practice and the night forest is full of cyclists!
I havent met others yet but it is a VERY big forest.

Oh yes, responsible for the decimation in Britain's deer population, we are :roll: