Feeling Rotten

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Sorry MickF and anyone else out there, I won't believe you are really suffering until you've had it for 4 weeks and it has affected a cycling holiday!.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Well said. We men are just a bunch of wimps. I feel better already.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Glad to be of service :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

We should all know by now that the woman is always right. :lol:
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Yup, me too. Was feeling rotten before I fell off last week and I just can't seem to shift it.
Mind you, a hefty dose of Cardhu on Tuesday night certainly helped!

Just done a seven miler (walk) with my dogs in the sunshine to try and keep some exercise up (I get dead grumpy when I can't cycle), still got the head-cold but do feel better now.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm still low.

I can do stuff, but without any energy, so everything I do is a slow plod.

Roll on spring!

I'm suffering from S.A.D. I reckon. Gets me every winter.
Mick F. Cornwall
glueman

Post by glueman »

Never mind Mick, only ten days till the nights start drawing out again! Our seasons are so short there's always a different one around the corner.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

glueman wrote:... only ten days till the nights start drawing out again! ...

Only four, I believe. I'm pretty sure 15th December is when sunset bottoms out. Here's the sunset for my postcode. It shows as 15:52 from the 8th to 17th December, then 15.53 on 18th, after which we're on the up-and-up.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Now that's very interesting - I've been playing with the stats and for my postcode the "shortest days" (ie those when I have the least hours of daylight) are 19th and 20th December.

We have a later sunrise time well into January, but the later sunset time means the whole day is longer.

Jan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

But sunrise isn't getting any earlier at the end of Dec! Maybe things will be better in Jan?

Because we live in a valley, and the part we live in has a N/S line, and because we live on the west side, our sunrise is early ish at 8.20 now.
The trouble is, the sun sets at about lunch time.

As I said, "Roll on spring".
Last edited by Mick F on 11 Dec 2008, 8:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

glueman wrote:Never mind Mick, only ten days till the nights start drawing out again! Our seasons are so short there's always a different one around the corner.

Shortest day, Christmas (my own birthday a few days later) clocks forward, longest day, (wedding anniversary a few days after that) nights drawing in, clocks go back, Bonfire Night, shortest day and off we go again, getting faster every year.

That's the recipe for depression, not flu....
jan19

Post by jan19 »

That's the recipe for depression, not flu....

for goodness sake, pull yourself together!

Age isn't an admission for defeat, its an invitation for freedom and adventure you've never had before.

I can't wait to retire and explore all those things I couldn't do in my youth.

Jan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Since retiring, I've never been happier. Honest! Life is fantastic, I can do what I want, whenever I want to do it, kids left home, money in the bank, mortgage paid off, disposable income for the first time in our lives, happiness!!

Just that I'm not feeling too good, and it's cold and dark outside ........
Mick F. Cornwall
glueman

Post by glueman »

When we first moved here a friend who lives in the Trough of Bowland said 'mind you don't get valleyitis'. I had no idea what he meant. You soon do when the sun sets at 3pm in winter. I take the dog a walk up a small valley that has no direct sun from about October to February. The bottom is set with ruined cottages but how anyone could ever have endured such a benighted place is a mystery.
It's really eerie, no rabbits or foxes, no birds but the dog doesn't seem to mind.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sun setting at 3pm?
Luxury!
Mick F. Cornwall