Embarassing Christmas thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jan19

Embarassing Christmas thread

Post by jan19 »

OK, I can't believe I'm posting this...

Malcolm knows I browse and post on this forum, and he wanted me to post this...

He's planning to decorate his bike with tinsel and flashing lights next week for his ride to work and wants to know if anyone else decorates their bike. And if so, in what manner.

I will NOT be putting tinsel on my bike. Its black and will remain black. No tinsel. I have some standards.

Jan

:D
fossil

Post by fossil »

funny you should ask....

No not me , but i did see a bloke on such a dressed bike this morning heading towards Chichester :shock:

silver tinsel, lantern type lights on the handle bars ,and blue led's in the tinsel wraped over the frame

looked FANTASTIC :D :D

Ho Ho Ho
paulah

Post by paulah »

I'm planning on cycling to Christmas lunch and will admit to be considering this. Of course it's for purely practical reasons, I'm hoping that it may spark some seasonal good will among motorists, or if not that, pity.
drossall

Post by drossall »

For years I've worn a Santa hat for the last week of commuting. Gets at least an extra six inches overtaking clearance :lol:

Last year I added some battery-powered Christmas lights from Asda. Unfortunately the batteries only last a couple of days of commuting so I'll be trying rechargeables this year.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Have often decorated my bike with tinsel in last week or so before Xmas, usually to go out on the mince pie/tinsel run or whatever people have just before Xmas. Never bothered with the flashing lights have enough of those for my usual after dark commuting hours and it could be confusing to motorists.

Some years ago we were likened to Xmas tree by an Ad campaign; silhouette of a cyclist (unlit) against a darkening sky with the slogan "Is it a Xmas Tree?"

At the time we were being urged to buy a string of flashing lights that looped diagonally over the should, and I remember Cycling commenting on the similarity between them and Xmas Trees etc.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was duty on Christmas Day one year. The weather was fine and dry, and I didn't have to report in until 10ish.

We had a "normal" Christmas Morning with the girls opening presents around the tree, then off I wet with Bike decorated into Devonport with baubles, tinsel and lametta adorning the handle bars, but the road was empty. No-one saw me!
Mick F. Cornwall
E.C.Ryder

Post by E.C.Ryder »

I always have some tinsel on the bike at this time of year! I put some on just the other day but yet to go out cycling as I`ve been off the bike for some 5 weeks now due to illness and icy roads.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I commute at least one day dressed in a Santa outfit - gets lots of beeps (friendly ones! :shock: ).

Have been considering some antlers and a red nose for the bike, although it's probably a bit late since I haven't yet found any.
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

Saw a bloke tonight with blue lights over his cycle helmet and various adornments (some tinsel) on his cycle - looked a bit christmassy and enhanced his 'profile'. Not sure if it was intended to be totally for xmass but I was on a bus and only caught a quick glimpse.

Did see some dafty on a golf cart (on a golf course I was crossing) last week with a Santa hat on.

I do not intend to do anything of the sort and will barely utter a 'bah humbug' on xmass day morn let alone decorate my bike!

Pah!
jan19

Post by jan19 »

I commute at least one day dressed in a Santa outfit - gets lots of beeps (friendly ones! ).

I suggested this to Malcolm....don't think he was too tempted by the idea!

Don't get me wrong, I like Christmas. I just can't see me decorating the bike.

Jan

Cunobelin

Re: Embarassing Christmas thread

Post by Cunobelin »

jan19 wrote:OK, I can't believe I'm posting this...

Malcolm knows I browse and post on this forum, and he wanted me to post this...

He's planning to decorate his bike with tinsel and flashing lights next week for his ride to work and wants to know if anyone else decorates their bike. And if so, in what manner.

I will NOT be putting tinsel on my bike. Its black and will remain black. No tinsel. I have some standards.

Jan

Black Tinsel?

Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

:lol: do you mean like these Jan?

Chrimbo light show

Reminded me a bit like the film, called teh Electic Cowboy or was it horseman??

:lol:

Mary
redflightuk

Post by redflightuk »

I usually have a bit of tinsel somewhere on the bike at christmas, and we also decorate the horses a bit for our christmas day hack.
LIVE2RIDE RIDE2LIVE
ICE QNT Cherry red recumbent trike
KONA BLAST mtb
DAHON MATRIX 07 folder
PACER (horse)
E.C.Ryder

Post by E.C.Ryder »

Well there I was yesterday morning the only one in the group wearing a Santa hat and with a bike covered in tinsel!
meic

Post by meic »

I always used to do up the motorbike with tinsel and lights.

Dont want the extra grams on the cycle though!
Yma o Hyd