Medical query UPDATED Anaemia/Heart/Breathing.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
leftpoole

Medical query UPDATED Anaemia/Heart/Breathing.

Post by leftpoole »

Hello,
I have heart problem. I have been taking for 12 Months, Beta Blockers, Sinvastatins and until last week Soluble Asprin.
The Beta blocker, the Statins have done a great job and I am a happy bunny. However the Soluble Asprin has made a previously unknown stomach bleed. Result I am anaemic. I have been getting more and more breathless for about a Month. I am taking 400 mg a day Iron to recover. I am due for a Gastroscopy to ascertain the actual bleed area in my stomach (great-not).
My question is, how long will I take to recover? I cannot ride bikes as I am so so very short of breath. Last ride 10 days ago was hell. I could hardly ride a flat road. I am really missing my every other days out.I get very much out of breath simply walking around the house.
Please anybody experienced similar?
John.
Last edited by leftpoole on 25 Mar 2009, 10:42am, edited 1 time in total.
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

John, my sympathies with your heart condition and now extra complication of anemia as well.

I had a haemorrage when I had my first child, and despite a blood transfusion (3 pints), I was badly anaemic when I left hospital with my newborn. I put a lot of the symptoms down being a new time mum. Walking was exhausting, and I had a small baby to care for. No one told me much about the recovery of anemia when I left the hospital. I was given iron tablets told to eat red meat, and that was that.

Maybe it was because I had a small baby, and had to return to work within 4 weeks of the birth (I was self employed at the time - no maternity allowance then for the self employed on IoM.).

So I pushed my self hard. As a result maybe of this it took over 6 months for my red blood cell count to raise from 8 to a 13. ONly when it reached 12 did I start to feel energised again. Dont want to be woeful, but it did take a long time. (maybe my own fault that though). It was nearly a full year before I felt on top of the world again.

I suppose it will depend on the level of anaemia and the level of activity you do in the mean time.

Are you sure you are no longer internally bleeding as well? If you are still losing blood of course, your blood count will take longer to balance it self. Have you been offered a transfusion? (Maybe not necessary)>

I have no medical knowledge Im afraid to help, just my own life experience. At the time I was rather ignorant of anemia and its effects. Breathlessness, extreme tiredness, lacking energy, feeling cold, prone to colds, feelings of frustration and irritability.. it was horrible and I do hope you are on the mend again soon.

mary
numbnut

Post by numbnut »

John,

Sorry to hear of your problems. One question I have is are you sure it is the aspirin/anaemia that is the problem? I cycle with a friend who is on beta blockers and he had to change brands several times before he found one that did not make him breathless, runny nose etc.

It might be worth mentioning to your doc as it sounds as though you need all the help you can get!

Best of luck.
N
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

numbnut wrote:John,

Sorry to hear of your problems. One question I have is are you sure it is the aspirin/anaemia that is the problem? I cycle with a friend who is on beta blockers and he had to change brands several times before he found one that did not make him breathless, runny nose etc.

It might be worth mentioning to your doc as it sounds as though you need all the help you can get!

Best of luck.
N

Hello,
I had been riding and feeling fine on all the medication for a Year. No problems at all. Yes it is as I stated in my original post. Thanks for the suggestion though.
John.
Last edited by leftpoole on 19 Feb 2009, 7:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Manx Cat wrote:John, my sympathies with your heart condition and now extra complication of anemia as well.

I had a haemorrage when I had my first child, and despite a blood transfusion (3 pints), I was badly anaemic when I left hospital with my newborn. I put a lot of the symptoms down being a new time mum. Walking was exhausting, and I had a small baby to care for. No one told me much about the recovery of anemia when I left the hospital. I was given iron tablets told to eat red meat, and that was that.

Maybe it was because I had a small baby, and had to return to work within 4 weeks of the birth (I was self employed at the time - no maternity allowance then for the self employed on IoM.).

So I pushed my self hard. As a result maybe of this it took over 6 months for my red blood cell count to raise from 8 to a 13. ONly when it reached 12 did I start to feel energised again. Dont want to be woeful, but it did take a long time. (maybe my own fault that though). It was nearly a full year before I felt on top of the world again.

I suppose it will depend on the level of anaemia and the level of activity you do in the mean time.

Are you sure you are no longer internally bleeding as well? If you are still losing blood of course, your blood count will take longer to balance it self. Have you been offered a transfusion? (Maybe not necessary)>

I have no medical knowledge Im afraid to help, just my own life experience. At the time I was rather ignorant of anemia and its effects. Breathlessness, extreme tiredness, lacking energy, feeling cold, prone to colds, feelings of frustration and irritability.. it was horrible and I do hope you are on the mend again soon.

mary

Hello,
This is a great help, thank you.
My HB is 9 at present. Told it should be around 13. The bleed has stopped. It looks as though it is going to be a long haul. Just when my riding was back to a great pace!
Thank you for your help.
John.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

The problem with taking iron is it's poor absorbancy.
Vit C is required to aid absorption, so it is a glass of Orange Juice with the tablets. Do not take all your tablets at once but spread them out over the day, again there is only a finite amount you can absorb at once and the rest will be excreted, by spreading them out over the day you maximise absorbtion.
Caffeine inhibits absorption.
Remember Iron is available in; green leafy veg, dried fruits (sultanas, apricots), oily fish (sardines, mackerel, tuna) as well as the usual red meat.
It can take up to 3 months to regenerate red cells, remember your body is also continuing with it's own regeneration programme of removing "old" red cells during this time.

Hope things start to improve soon.

Oh and make sure you are on tablets that suit, not all people suit every type of iron tablet.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

eileithyia wrote:The problem with taking iron is it's poor absorbancy.
Vit C is required to aid absorption, so it is a glass of Orange Juice with the tablets. Do not take all your tablets at once but spread them out over the day, again there is only a finite amount you can absorb at once and the rest will be excreted, by spreading them out over the day you maximise absorbtion.
Caffeine inhibits absorption.
Remember Iron is available in; green leafy veg, dried fruits (sultanas, apricots), oily fish (sardines, mackerel, tuna) as well as the usual red meat.
It can take up to 3 months to regenerate red cells, remember your body is also continuing with it's own regeneration programme of removing "old" red cells during this time.

Hope things start to improve soon.

Oh and make sure you are on tablets that suit, not all people suit every type of iron tablet.

Hello,
I guess thats why the instruction tells me to wait 2 hours before having a cup of tea when taking the Iron tablets.
Thats a can of Coke just been binned!
Its fruit juices tomorrow for me. I just cannot stand how I am feeling right now. I really thought when this started that I was actually dying I felt ,and still do so bad. I cannot get my breath the slightest thing I do, even walking about indoors and getting into and out of a bath/bed etc.
The quicker things improve the better.
Moving house in 3 Months time back home to Dorset-I need to be better soon as I have loads to do.
Thank you so much all of you for the responses. I just wish that the GPs did a better job of explaining things. As it happens when I get back to Dorset I have always found the GPs to be better with the eficience of explanation.
Thank you again.
John.
leftpoole

Medical query-not for the squemish! Anaemia/Heart/Breathing.

Post by leftpoole »

Hello,
Updated.
I went to Hospital and 'enjoyed' the tests! I have a Hiatus hernia. The Gastric reflux has damaged my Oesophagus causing erosion the bleeding has been caused by the Soluble Asprin. It has a name-Medicen induced Oesophagitus..........The Asprin thins my blood which means that it bleeds more! So no more asprin, new medications and guess what? Another Gastroscopy in a few weeks- just before we move house.
I am feeling pretty sore, but slightly relieved. Because the whole Oesophagus is inflamed, the gastrocopy tube going up and down was very painful.
John.
PS The hb is now 10 and inproving but I am still rather weak and breathless.
Last edited by leftpoole on 8 Mar 2009, 5:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Re: Medical query-not for the squemish! Anaemia/Heart/Breathing.

Post by thirdcrank »

I've been on the same general type of heart medication as you for the last 5 years. The daily aspirin made me sit up and think because about 40 years ago I had stomach trouble caused by taking aspirin for toothache instead of going to the dentist. At that time I came close to developing an ulcer. One difference for me is that I have been on enteric aspirin, rather than soluble. I understand from the blurb that this is coated in such a way that it does not begin to dissolve until it is far enough down the system not to harm the stomach. I'm pleased to be able to report that so far I've had no digestive problems at all with my medication.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

thirdcrank wrote:I've been on the same general type of heart medication as you for the last 5 years. The daily aspirin made me sit up and think because about 40 years ago I had stomach trouble caused by taking aspirin for toothache instead of going to the dentist. At that time I came close to developing an ulcer. One difference for me is that I have been on enteric aspirin, rather than soluble. I understand from the blurb that this is coated in such a way that it does not begin to dissolve until it is far enough down the system not to harm the stomach. I'm pleased to be able to report that so far I've had no digestive problems at all with my medication.

Hello, Thanks for this. I will enquire at the Doctors next visit.
John.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I've been on Soluble Asprin for a number of years, but I have never taken them soluble I just down them with the rest of the tablets
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Hello,
I have had a Hospital visit. Gastroscopy in fact (nice).
I have a Hiatus Hernia. Oesophagitus and Erosion of the Oesophagus caused by medicine-ie:- Soluble Asprin.
I am now taking more pills............it never ends.
John.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Hello,
Went out for a ride this afternoon as my wife was absent and could not stop me as she does (since being Anaemic). I went one of my usual 30 mile routes. I am very pleased I actually managed the whole 30 miles albeit using 1 or 2 gears lower. I was at my limit at the end though. But I feel acomplished that there is light at the end of..........
Testing my hb next week I think.
John.
leftpoole

Re: Medical query UPDATED Anaemia/Heart/Breathing.

Post by leftpoole »

Hello,
After weeks of taking Iron tablets and really working hard at it all I am pleased to report that I am making a good recovery. Have ridden 6 times in last couple of weeks. 4 rides of 30 miles and 2 rides of 25. Feeling much better and the brethlessness is diminishing. I am still a sluggish rider up the hills though but expectations are now much higher.
John.
Manx Cat

Re: Medical query UPDATED Anaemia/Heart/Breathing.

Post by Manx Cat »

Hi John

So glad to read that it looks like you are on the mend. Well sort of anyway. Will you need to follow a particular diet for the h. hernia or the reflux at all? Im sure the next camera job in your gut will show improvement as well. Erosion of the oesophagus needs to be sorted out, once its calm again, you will really begin to feel better.

Dont over do it, but reading your last post, I dont think you are, just cycling to a reasonable limit. Exercise will help you heal, and will give you a good feel good factor back in your boots as well. Which is better than any pill is it not?

I have been wondering how you are getting along with your hb count.

Cheers

Mary