lent

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 27 Feb 2009, 11:58am

Michael R wrote:Patrick

are you saying a Christian cant be a scientist? ...

Not at all. I just prefer Richard Dawkins as he was in his scientific days, although I did enjoy 'Unweaving the Rainbow.' I was given a copy of 'The God Delusion' a couple of years ago but never bothered to read it.

Incidentally (a bit of trivia): one of my distant ancestors was the Theologian Libertus Fromundus (1587-1653). "Devils, though OFTEN, are not ALWAYS or even for the most part the causes of thunder."
Last edited by patricktaylor on 27 Feb 2009, 12:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 27 Feb 2009, 12:09pm

Wow how these discussions wander, we started on a lighthearted (I thought) discussion on what we may or may not have given up for lent.

I think I really should give up Greenhalgh's hot cross buns, but they are just too delicious and at £2 for 8............ ho hum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Si

Postby Si » 27 Feb 2009, 12:15pm

eileithyia wrote:Wow how these discussions wander, we started on a lighthearted (I thought) discussion on what we may or may not have given up for lent.

I think I really should give up Greenhalgh's hot cross buns, but they are just too delicious and at £2 for 8............ ho hum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry - on the new forum there is a facility to report threads to the mods if they go off topic! Although, somehow I think it might not be there for long.

dan_b

Postby dan_b » 27 Feb 2009, 12:16pm

After reading the God Delusion, I was reluctantly forced to admit that Dawkins is a lot more pleasant than most of his fanboys.

glueman

Postby glueman » 27 Feb 2009, 12:22pm

For lent I'm giving up any thread that goes past six pages.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 27 Feb 2009, 12:28pm

glueman wrote:For lent I'm giving up any thread that goes past six pages.

Few posts left - let yourself rip!

Michael R

Postby Michael R » 27 Feb 2009, 1:13pm

kwackers wrote:
glueman wrote:For lent I'm giving up any thread that goes past six pages.

Few posts left - let yourself rip!

rip

RIP

R. I. P.

pigman

Postby pigman » 27 Feb 2009, 1:37pm

numbnuts wrote:It always amazes me how long these threads last on religion it seems to me that the non believers have to gather in a corner to convince themselves that there is no God.
The way I see it when I die and I find out that there is no afterlife, no heaven, no God what have I lost nothing at all, but if the church teaching have made me a better person in my life then it has won the day it is as easy as that. With out God and the church I may have been the same as I am now a normal adjusted person, but what if I wasn't.......

on a similar vane, it always makes me smile when I see/read about people who find their backs up against the wall turning to religion. Admittedly some of what is written in biographies or shown in docudramas may be embelished, but when people are faced with an impending plane crash/hijack, face a terminal illness, family death etc., they deperately turn to god and prayers. Its as if theyre saying "I dont believe, cos Im rational, theres no hard evidence and Im not gonna be duped", but then they suddenly think "what if there is a god, maybe he can help. Maybe I can get some quick brownie points in". So the steadfast athiesm wilts.

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 27 Feb 2009, 2:24pm

pigman wrote:
numbnuts wrote:It always amazes me how long these threads last on religion it seems to me that the non believers have to gather in a corner to convince themselves that there is no God.
The way I see it when I die and I find out that there is no afterlife, no heaven, no God what have I lost nothing at all, but if the church teaching have made me a better person in my life then it has won the day it is as easy as that. With out God and the church I may have been the same as I am now a normal adjusted person, but what if I wasn't.......

on a similar vane, it always makes me smile when I see/read about people who find their backs up against the wall turning to religion. Admittedly some of what is written in biographies or shown in docudramas may be embelished, but when people are faced with an impending plane crash/hijack, face a terminal illness, family death etc., they deperately turn to god and prayers. Its as if theyre saying "I dont believe, cos Im rational, theres no hard evidence and Im not gonna be duped", but then they suddenly think "what if there is a god, maybe he can help. Maybe I can get some quick brownie points in". So the steadfast athiesm wilts.

thats very true when there is no place to run start praying

skrx

Postby skrx » 27 Feb 2009, 3:04pm

I haven't been trying to convince myself of anything. Can't speak for anyone else though.

numbnuts wrote:The way I see it when I die and I find out that there is no afterlife, no heaven, no God what have I lost nothing at all

Just time and money!

numbnuts wrote:, but if the church teaching have made me a better person in my life then it has won the day it is as easy as that. With out God and the church I may have been the same as I am now a normal adjusted person, but what if I wasn't.......

With a god and a church I might be the same as I am now, but what if I wasn't?

pigman wrote:on a similar vane, it always makes me smile when I see/read about people who find their backs up against the wall turning to religion. Admittedly some of what is written in biographies or shown in docudramas may be embelished, but when people are faced with an impending plane crash/hijack, face a terminal illness, family death etc., they deperately turn to god and prayers.

1) Probably written by someone religious
2) You don't hear about all the people that don't suddenly start praying.

Personally, I prefer to work on the problem, or ask for help from other people, rather than try and magic the problem away.

skrx

Postby skrx » 27 Feb 2009, 3:05pm

Si wrote:Don't worry - on the new forum there is a facility to report threads to the mods if they go off topic! Although, somehow I think it might not be there for long.

The Tea Shop would get boring if things weren't allowed to go off-topic!

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 27 Feb 2009, 3:34pm

You don't hear about all the people that don't suddenly start praying.

maybe they didn't make it :lol:

ianr1950

Postby ianr1950 » 27 Feb 2009, 4:31pm

skrx wrote:
Si wrote:Don't worry - on the new forum there is a facility to report threads to the mods if they go off topic! Although, somehow I think it might not be there for long.

Can't it be called the Coffee Shop. :roll:

Biscuit

Postby Biscuit » 27 Feb 2009, 7:29pm

ianr1950 wrote:
skrx wrote:

Can't it be called the Coffee Shop. :roll:

Because you 'damned' fool (damned in the sense of Tea hell) there is only one true way and that is the way of the tea. Schism yeh not! Follow the tea pot my friend and forgot the Coffee distractions which can only lead you into a bad place.

T' et Ley (1542-1641) Grand Big Hat wearer church of the scary thing in the sky.

Hector's House

Postby Hector's House » 27 Feb 2009, 7:59pm

skrx wrote:
pigman wrote:on a similar vane, it always makes me smile when I see/read about people who find their backs up against the wall turning to religion. Admittedly some of what is written in biographies or shown in docudramas may be embelished, but when people are faced with an impending plane crash/hijack, face a terminal illness, family death etc., they deperately turn to god and prayers.

1) Probably written by someone religious
2) You don't hear about all the people that don't suddenly start
praying.

Well, no, but then in the news you don't hear about all the doctors who have successfuly treated a patient, or the soldiers on the front line who have survived another day, do you? We have selective wants when it comes to news.

Also, the fact that when crisis strikes many people do turn to God shows that deep down they really do believe in some sort of being, even if they tell themselves they don't.

skrx wrote:Personally, I prefer to work on the problem, or ask for help from other people, rather than try and magic the problem away.

God doesn't wave a wand... no... he doesn't... but he does give generously... (and, I believe, hilariously, when he answers a prayer). He answers a prayer and he answers it fully.