Tax on Chocolate!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Manx Cat

Tax on Chocolate!

Postby Manx Cat » 12 Mar 2009, 10:49am

Read today, the so called experts think they should tax our beloved chocolate. Is nothing safe!

WEll, I think a civil war is needed if they dare to tread here!

THoughts anyone?

I dont live on the stuff, but I do enjoy it, cheap or continental, I love it all. I proberly eat it about 4 x a week, and just one piece. Right now, I am enjoying a sticky cream egg having taken ages and ages lovingly picking off all the tin foil so it doesnt electrocute my molars that are stuffed with metal.

Mary

Si

Re: Tax on Chocolate!

Postby Si » 12 Mar 2009, 10:56am

yeah, it's a luxury item so I've no problem with taxing it.
(and just to make me doubly unpopular) they should double the tax on booze too.
(and to try to regain a bit of popularity, assuming I had any in the first place :twisted: ) ditto car fuel.

pigman

Postby pigman » 12 Mar 2009, 11:13am

Luxury item?? Think again ... its staple diet (well for me anyhow).

anyway, isnt it already taxed thru VAT? If it is, I assume you mean some higher duty. If we did this with all "luxury" items, where would it leave us. The govt might consider every £200+ bike is a luxury item - anything used for utility purposes can be bought for less. Extend this to other habbies/pursuits. You'd effectively be taxing pleasure and dumbing down freedom to enjoy oneself.

Si

Postby Si » 12 Mar 2009, 11:30am

Given the amount that treatment of the side effects of junk food and booze costs the health service (and more importantly the amount hat it is predicted to cost in the future) I think that upping the tax on it would redress the balance a bit. I don't suppose that it would stop people over eating but at least they would be paying more for the treatments to follow.
Is this private health care by the back door? Maybe, but the money has to come from somewhere and at the moment it ain't.
Is this the nanny state? Nope: the nanny state is just some abstracted ideology whereby certain people think that everyone else should obey rules religiously until they are asked to obey a rule.
Is this an imposition on the less well off? Probably, but if you'd not noticed that's how our whole economic system works.

cranky1

Postby cranky1 » 12 Mar 2009, 1:03pm

Given that most of the stuff that is sold as chocalate is just vegetable fat and sugar with some flavouring it should be all fats that are taxed. But as exercise is a good way of reducing the effects of stuffing your face with fat, and cycling is thought to be a good form of exercise then anybody that does enough cycling that they think they need to join a club should be exempt from fat tax.

This could be a good reason to have a CTC member card.
Be carefull out there.

pigman

Postby pigman » 12 Mar 2009, 1:31pm

oops, I hadnt really thought about it from the health costs side, and now see where youre coming from. I was thinking more in terms of raising revenue from luxury goods. In truth, i'm quite indifferent to taxing choc. - it might actually save me a bit not having it. But to extend the argument further, where would you stop? Chips, burger-chain "meals", non-healthy restaurant (incl Indian; that would be a shame) meals, etc etc? you'd then get into a definition war and the possibility of chip shops providing a lettuce leaf along with their best to fit within. It would be too complicated and costly to administer.

Wildduck

Postby Wildduck » 12 Mar 2009, 2:12pm

On the flip then (to add balance to the argument), perhaps we should not have healthy items taxed (eg. cycles).
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)

Si

Postby Si » 12 Mar 2009, 2:25pm

where would you stop? Chips, burger-chain "meals", non-healthy restaurant (incl Indian; that would be a shame) meals, etc etc?

I believe that the actual proposal, at least in Scotland, is that it is to be a general junk food tax.

Perhaps, considering the old adage: everything in moderation, they should distribute ration books for 'unhealthy' food: you could still partake but only in less damaging doses. Of course this would lead to a black market in ration books and speak-easy joints for the binging on chocolate :mrgreen: Proving that one had cycled to work would obviously allow one to have extra vouchers.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Mar 2009, 3:46pm

The Scottish chap (MP?) was on the radio yesterday, saying that a bag of Buttons could be eaten whilst watching EastEnders. I would find it far easier to eat the Buttons WITHOUT watching EastEnders !

And while we're on to this Calorie thing, I looked up a website yesterday, and put in my info the Calorie Counter. This site tells you how many calories you need to maintain your body-weight.
http://www.simplefit.net/?page=estimate-calories

I was a little puzzled by the results.

To be Very Active (moderate or vigorous activity in your day) gives me 2850 cals to maintain my body-weight! I use that amount of cals just to ride for 2 or 3 hours! I wouldn't be able to eat if I was limited to that figure! I think I get through 4000 cals a day when I'm cycling.

Is cycling a very very very very "moderate or vigorous activity"?
Mick F. Cornwall

paulah

Postby paulah » 12 Mar 2009, 5:14pm

NOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It's all that keeps me going in the afternoons

On seconds thoughts, alright then. It takes me at least a couple of weeks to get through a bar of 85% chocolate so I don't think it'll break the bank. And sweets are very cheap nowadays. In my day we were grateful for a sherbert dip once a week.
There shall be only one pannier

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 12 Mar 2009, 5:22pm

Why not just make shops that want to sell it locate several miles off the beaten track (preferably up an hill) which can only accessed via bike paths by either walking or cycling?

Actually thinking about it - in a valley, then if they buy too much they've got to carry it back out up the hill.

Do the same with all fast food vendors and you're in business!

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 12 Mar 2009, 5:54pm

it's only right. drinkers and smokers have been subsidising the NHS, whilst the fatties are freeloading. as for chip shops and Indian takeaways, then it need only be the fat that's taxed...how much they put in their meals would be up to them.

Wildduck

Postby Wildduck » 12 Mar 2009, 8:29pm

yeah, cyclists are another group, keep having accidents and colliding with cars, costing the NHS a fortune............oh dear, that's us.....oooops! :oops:
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)

PW

Postby PW » 12 Mar 2009, 9:32pm

Eat meat instead, roast health fascist....... :twisted: :twisted:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

meic

Postby meic » 12 Mar 2009, 11:15pm

Tax ciggies and people move to drink
Tax drink and people move to chocolate
Tax chocolate and people move to ciggies.

When I heard this on the radio I thought "ooh I could just do with a piece of chocolate now" and had half a bar but unlike the Scotish MP I had just done a pretty hard 20 miles.

Would the tax be on the cocoa or the fat?

As they say it is to help reduce fat intake, you can bet your life they tax it on the cocoa content. :lol:
Yma o Hyd