Tax on Chocolate!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

Re: Tax on Chocolate!

Postby Si » 13 Mar 2009, 10:43am

Wildduck wrote:yeah, cyclists are another group, keep having accidents and colliding with cars, costing the NHS a fortune............oh dear, that's us.....oooops! :oops:

Nope, can't catch us out with that old chestnut, m'deary. If everyone obeys the rules of the road then cycling is pretty safe, much safer than many other activities. Indeed, the health benefits of cycling mean that it actually has a positive effect on the NHS's finances in the long run. Whereas, stuffing yourself with fat, booze and fags is guaranteed to have a negative effect in most, if not all, cases. And, more to the point, even with the current levels of tax on booze and fags, they still cost the NHS more than they make.

Yes, I know that you know all this already. I am just pointing it out as you never know who might be reading.

Wildduck

Postby Wildduck » 13 Mar 2009, 11:17am

Just having a little fun as always! :twisted:
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)

cranky1

Postby cranky1 » 13 Mar 2009, 1:53pm

The thing is everybody eats chocolate, mainly in moderation and it dosn't do them any harm, but as the country is going bust and with enough publiciy the masses will swollow anything (no pun intended) a couple of pence off every bar towards the governments coffers might help bail out another bank. The extra cost won't stop anybody buying the stuff in fact it would be counter productive if it did, like all taxes it only worth doing if it's going to raise enough cash.
Be carefull out there.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 14 Mar 2009, 9:15am

MickF, the proposer of this tax (I thought it was Scottish Consultant???) obviously is no expert eater of chocolate, a bag of buttons would not even last the adverts of an Eastender episode,....... oh hang on it's on t'other side isn't it, ok then they would not last out the credits!!!!!

Clearly the person has never met a bunch of starving (no time for lunchbreak) hormonal midwives or nurses, with a desperate need for a chocolate fix. Usually chocs hardly hit the sides as they go down.

Tax on chocs???? What else would our grateful victims, oops, patients buy us. :lol: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 Mar 2009, 10:14am

Yes, I think I could "breath in" a bag of Buttons. One mouthful maybe!

I have a soft spot for Penguins .........
Mick F. Cornwall

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 14 Mar 2009, 10:22am

Si wrote: even with the current levels of tax on booze and fags, they still cost the NHS more than they make..

i'm certain that that's not true for tobacco. we're less of a burden on the pension system by years. and the tax on a pack a day person is enormous.

as for booze, i've no doubt you're right, it's not just the long term health costs, it's also the fighters in A&E on fri nights, and the police time they cost.

so why not tax fat, and reduce the price of fags? :lol:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 Mar 2009, 11:08am

If they tax fat, I'm must be sitting on a fortune of unpaid tax!
And what about my waist line?

I hope they give us some notice before they bring it in. A diet is calling!
Mick F. Cornwall

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 14 Mar 2009, 5:09pm

Mick F wrote:If they tax fat, I'm must be sitting on a fortune of unpaid tax!

i mean tax the fat that food manufacturers put in their food. :lol:

montmorency

Postby montmorency » 16 Apr 2009, 10:05pm

I don't eat chocolate these days, because the sugar is bad for me.

However, after some googling about cocoa (as in the unsweetened powder one can make into a drink), I started to get interested in cacao, which is where of course all chocolate and cocoa is derived from.

It seems there are quite a few online outlets where one can buy raw cacao in various forms, and I've just sent off for some.
I later found that Waitrose were selling something called "Venezuela Black", 100% cacao, in a small, heavy cylindrical pack (of course, it could really be oil...). Not tried it though. However, I do notice that the confectionary aisle now has a bewildering array of very dark chocolate - I think it must be fashionable. Beware though, some of the labelling is deceiving, e.g. "100% Belgian Chocolate" is not 100% cocoa solids, it's just 100% Belgian! (like Hercule Poirot....who liked chocolate I seem to remember). It's actually quite low in cocoa solids as far as I can remember. Apart from the "Venezuela Black" though, the highest is a Lindt variety, at an impressive 90%!

Regards,
M.

worthers

Postby worthers » 20 Apr 2009, 10:59am

I love really dark chocolate, and I eat absolutely loads of it. I'm office-bound today and there's a Waitrose next door, so I might go buy a buy some of that "Venezuela Black" that montmorency mentions...or just any other bar of dark chocolate...I'll feedback later. This topic needs to be a proper hands-on discussion! :mrgreen:

gaz

Postby gaz » 20 Apr 2009, 9:00pm

Is "Death by Chocloate" liable for Inheritance Tax?
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

paulah

Postby paulah » 20 Apr 2009, 9:07pm

worthers wrote:I love really dark chocolate, and I eat absolutely loads of it. I'm office-bound today and there's a Waitrose next door, so I might go buy a buy some of that "Venezuela Black" that montmorency mentions...or just any other bar of dark chocolate...I'll feedback later. This topic needs to be a proper hands-on discussion! :mrgreen:

no feedback so far

Worthers is missing and presumed on a high following the consumption of too much chocolate
There shall be only one pannier

worthers

Postby worthers » 5 May 2009, 3:33pm

paulah wrote:
worthers wrote:I love really dark chocolate, and I eat absolutely loads of it. I'm office-bound today and there's a Waitrose next door, so I might go buy a buy some of that "Venezuela Black" that montmorency mentions...or just any other bar of dark chocolate...I'll feedback later. This topic needs to be a proper hands-on discussion! :mrgreen:

no feedback so far

Worthers is missing and presumed on a high following the consumption of too much chocolate
More like missing and presumed crushed to death under mounds of tedious paperwork...never did make it to Waitrose that day.

However I went in today and found the "Venezuela Black" - at £5.99 per lump :!: :!: :!: :shock: As enticing as it looked, I couldn't justify spending that much :cry: ...but it is my birthday soon so I might mention it to a few certain people :wink: Couldn't walk away empty-handed so I bought a big bar of Lindt dark choc with chilli, and it's delicious :mrgreen:

random37

Postby random37 » 6 May 2009, 9:57am

I love booze. I had problems with it in the past, which ended up with me having to reset my life; I still drink now and the urge to never stop is still there, but I have much better self-control. The only booze I drink is stuff I've made myself at home, which is naturally self-limiting (I can't make that much), or when I go out (which isn't very often).
I welcome a tax on unhealthy, cheap to manufacture foods and alcohol. We are producing a generation of people who will be riddled with health problems just so supermarkets and pub chains can make bigger profits. It's rediculous that a person can go and buy enough beer to get themselves quietly hammered for £5.
So yeah, if a big bar of chocolate costs £3 instead of 80p, I think that's a good thing.

tregoatx2

Postby tregoatx2 » 8 May 2009, 12:49pm

What states have banned junk food in schools? My mom is a high school teacher in California and she told me that her school district has banned junk food from the vending machines. I think it's a California law if i'm correct. Are there other states that have banned junk food in schools?
Last edited by tregoatx2 on 12 May 2009, 8:56am, edited 1 time in total.