Mistake

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bailout

Mistake

Post by bailout »

I have edited this post as it appears that I made a mistake. The result of using a dangerous device such as the internet while overly stressed too late at night.
Last edited by bailout on 21 Mar 2009, 1:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas125

Re: Moderater accusing me of being a thief

Post by Thomas125 »

What the Dickens. It is entirely possible to lose the bracket for a pump without being 'theiving scum'. Talk about inappropriate mark-up. I hope the mod gets thier knuckles rapped in a big way. :evil:

I have a frame pump, as I use the bike for commuting and I don't want to scratch the frame it stays in the rack pack, only ever gets put on the frame if I'm doing a long ride, but even then I have lunch in the rack pack so don't often use it.... couldn't tell you where the frame clamp has gone, probably knocking around my spare room somewhere.

Does this make me theiving scum too?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

bailout

It's just the auto-edit function which replaces certain words automatically. The original idea is that it automatically censors rude words but the admin have also used it to sabotage spam. (You don't actually see much spam on here because the spambusters bin it PDQ, but a fair bit is posted.) Unfortunately, if you use a word frequwently used by spammers, it nay muck you up too, but it is nothing personal. The way to get round it is to edit your post and type in the word that was automatically changed but with a space or some other disguise. This is frowned on as a way of posting swear wors but obviously OK in your case. (In spite of the caption under my moniker I am no longer a spambuster so I cannot mend your post for you.)
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

LOL :D
bailout

Post by bailout »

Thomas125 wrote:What the Dickens. It is entirely possible to lose the bracket for a pump without being 'theiving scum'. Talk about inappropriate mark-up. I hope the mod gets thier knuckles rapped in a big way. :evil:

I have a frame pump, as I use the bike for commuting and I don't want to scratch the frame it stays in the rack pack, only ever gets put on the frame if I'm doing a long ride, but even then I have lunch in the rack pack so don't often use it.... couldn't tell you where the frame clamp has gone, probably knocking around my spare room somewhere.

Does this make me theiving scum too?

Exactly. When I was commuting in London I just put the pump in my rucksack. Having never used the bracket since I bought it I threw it away when I was getting rid of stuff before moving as I didn't then think I would ever use it. Obviously touring is different and I will have lots of stuff fixed to bike and won't be leaving it locked to a lamppost in London for several hours so the bracket will be useful.
bailout

Post by bailout »

thirdcrank wrote:bailout

It's just the auto-edit function which replaces certain words automatically. The original idea is that it automatically censors rude words but the admin have also used it to sabotage spam. (You don't actually see much spam on here because the spambusters bin it PDQ, but a fair bit is posted.) Unfortunately, if you use a word frequwently used by spammers, it nay muck you up too, but it is nothing personal. The way to get round it is to edit your post and type in the word that was automatically changed but with a space or some other disguise. This is frowned on as a way of posting swear wors but obviously OK in your case. (In spite of the caption under my moniker I am no longer a spambuster so I cannot mend your post for you.)

I am sorry but I am having trouble believing that an automatic word filter should change the word a-i-r-f-o-r-c-e to 'we are thieving scum'. If you used to be involved with the system perhaps you could explain the logic? Is a-i-r-f-o-r-c-e really a common word used by spammers? Is 'we are thieving scum' an appropriate substitute?
meic

Post by meic »

I cant figure out what you posted that got changed to thieving scum.

You got the answer in before I did the question.

Your post is done and some of us have seen it now. Can I suggest that you calm down and wait for some answers before saying much more. Maybee it is a gremlin or a hacker or something lets wait for an answer.
Yma o Hyd
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

airforce != we are thieving scum
Last edited by patricktaylor on 21 Mar 2009, 12:26am, edited 1 time in total.
random37

Post by random37 »

So, even after it's been explained to you why this has happened, you're still annoyed?
For crying out loud! It's standard software, in use on most bulletin boards. The word you typed is a brand name, the same thing would have happened if you typed in certain makes/models of mobile phones.
You've made a grand total of 76 posts so far. Do you honestly think one of the mods or anyone else here has any opinion of you at all?
meic

Post by meic »

It appears that we can all say airforce without being censored.
Yma o Hyd
fossil

Post by fossil »

specialized air force
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mmmm

The word you mention came up before, Mick F, a well-known spambuster of this parish, had the same problem although I think it was because of his Naval career and he posted about the Army, Navy and you know what. I can't remember what was the eventual explanation, if any.

Whether you believe me or not,is of course up to you. Bear in mind that you are offended at being accused of being a thief. I don't make things up.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

fossil wrote:specialized <i>[ we are thieving scum ]</i>

"word corrected to Halfords"

Could save the CTC £zillions in libel damages :shock:
meic

Post by meic »

specialized
Yma o Hyd
fossil