cotter pins

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: cotter pins

Post by Mick F »

GrahamNR17 wrote:I'd pay good money for good quality. Would I pay 8 quid a pair? For known good stuff, yes. Would I pay 8 quid to someone on ebay? No way!

This story may not be over yet then?
I'll continue to liaise with Paul.
Mick F. Cornwall
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

The problem as I see it is size. I have an old English bike where the imperial sized pins don't fit, I have to use the continental 9mm size :?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

OMG.
Imperial vs Metric again!

The one I gave to Paul came off my 1968 RSW16. It was 3/8" although I measured it at first with a cheapo metric vernier callipers. 9.4mm if my memory serves me correctly, but don't quote me on that as an accurate measurement.

My (quality) imperial 1" micrometer showed 0.375"
Mick F. Cornwall
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

3/8" is correct for British stuff, 9mm for continental, your vernier doesn't deceive you 8)
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote:I'd pay good money for good quality. Would I pay 8 quid a pair? For known good stuff, yes.

I'll remember that :roll: :P :P :P

Steve
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:I'd pay good money for good quality. Would I pay 8 quid a pair? For known good stuff, yes.

I'll remember that :roll: :P :P :P

Steve

I'm one of the ones that was born every minute - bring it on! :lol:
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I knew I'd seen 'em - but 40 quid? :shock: Must be joking :roll:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CYCLO-EASY-OUT-CO ... 414e8a6ea4
I reckon I can make something similar and neater - just need the time to do it. Spent an hour this evening milling up one of those tools for removing BB cups - you know, the one with a 5/8th flat that nobody seems to make a spanner for and that normally get knocked around by a hammer and chisel :? :wink:

Steve
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

very nice - but if you put a proper value on your time, and the depreciation on your machines, the rates, electricity, the insurance and all that, you'd have to sell the ones you made for more than £20 each.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As a first stab at a possibility of an idea, no promises or contract, how about £5.20 a pair made from stainless steel? This figure is based on a production run of 100 pairs.

250 pairs would bring the price down to £3.00 a pair.

These figures would be plus VAT and plus P+P.

Any takers??
notwithstanding my "As a first stab at a possibility of an idea, no promises or contract"
Mick F. Cornwall
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

I'd go ten pairs at that price.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Imperial or Metric?
:wink:

Thanks Graham, lets see if more folk want them.
Mick F. Cornwall
spanner

Post by spanner »

ive got cotterpins with no flat part on it you stick it in the vice and file profile yourself
i got them when the bike shop i worked in closed down and got first dibs on a lot of stuff most of it for free
the dad of the shop owner had squirrelled a lot of older stuff away and it was amazing what had been put aside
which ive now got stored in my lockup which i rent to store my bikes and bike spares
the trouble now is that the older stuff is now being discontinued and its now sealed bottom brackets instead of bottom bracket cups and axle
stems are all those ahead stems even on road bikes
try cycle jumbles for older stuff as its amazing whats still out there
join the VETERAN CYCLE CLUB as our club magazine has a sales and wanted section which is useful for getting older stuff
for the £20 joining fee you get NEWS AND VIEWS every second month, boneshaker magazine four times a year and can go to club runs in the section are you live in england has a lot of sections but scotland is just one section covering the whole of scotland
ive been a member for 10 years now and have cycled all over scotland with the section through some beautiful countryside
i find the internet is the best place for older stuff i got nos lyotard pedals for £8.99 a pair